cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to O.C.ing - 3930k, RIVE, Hyper Evo (I know...), temps question

dbit
Level 7
Ok, so I made the newb mistake of cheaping out on a cooler when putting together my first box, went with the hyper 212 evo since I figured I wasn't going to do any hard pushing. I've generally run stock with some of the preset bumps. Lately I wasn't happy with the performance I was getting rendering (C4D) so I hit the boards again trying to learn a little bit. I've had my memory set to the spec bus speed and timings etc by entering that manually, and bumped up to see how a 4Ghz OC would do, figuring that's not so high. But I'm getting core temps up near 90c (!) running both RealBench and Prime95 for under two minutes. My idle temps vary between 35c-40c. Is it simply down to this cooler not being up to task for a 40 O.C.?

Also, I noticed initially that all my fans were pegged at Max RMP (1830 or so) even at idle. I opened AI SUITE II and enabled fan Xpert and that seems to be modulating the fans. Should I set this somewhere in the BIOS, or is it fine to do via Fan Xpert?

Annnnd one more thing: with AI suite open I've got two warning messages during idle, one MOBO at 84c but nothing showing abnormal on HWmonitor, and 12V warning, again, nothing abnormal on idle. Is AI II just a bit buggy or something to be worried about?

I'll leave 3 HWmonitor screenshots below. The 1st is Idle, the 2nd is Prime95 at two minutes, and the third is RealBench encoding at 2 minutes. Any feedback or advice is much appreciated! Only memory and turbo settings are changed, Vcore etc is still on auto as per recommendations I saw for a 4Ghz or under OC.

Idle:

Prime95 at two minutes:

RealBench Encoding at two minutes:
49 REPLIES 49

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
hello again! 🙂

AI suite throws the toys out of the pram if it has to share the pram with another monitoring program. this is a general rule...don't have two programs polling the sensors or you will get weird readings. I doubt anything is really wrong.

I know that cooler is small but the temps do seem a high...you sure of good contact with CPU and not too much paste...? what ambient temp do you have? maybe it's just not up to 6 cores

With the normal caveat that each CPU is it's own world....I would suggest you set a manual voltage and set lower than what VID is setting there....1.6 or 1.352 v is good for 4.5 or 4.6 GHz on a lot of 3930s so I suspect you could run 4.0 with quite a bit less and therefore with lower temps. maybe set 1.225v manually and see what multiplier you can run with that..

dbit
Level 7
Hello Arne, and thanks for your reply! I was thinking that perhaps I used too much thermal paste and might need to reseat the cooler, I've just been mentally avoiding that possibility!

As for the voltage, do you think I should go manual with the 1.225 and see what happens, or should I attempt to set some (-) offset? If you suggest offset, what value would you suggest starting with? Or would manual really be the better place to start? Thanks again for all your help!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
yeah, too much paste can end up worsening temps...a thin layer is all you need...if you can do it I would remount...just to check...

I reckon since you know that voltage is a bit too much in terms of temps at the moment set a lower manual voltage and see what is the maximum multiplier you can run and what temps you get. I would try and stay lower than 80 for sure and I'm more comfortable under 75 really. Then once you have found a stable manual voltage for the OC you want set offset voltage...you need the load manual voltage to set offset really.

dbit
Level 7
Got a BSOD (clock interrupt or something) with manual Vcore set to 1.225 running prime 95. Would this suggest I need to raise the voltage/lower the turbo ratio?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
At the same 40 multiplier? yes, you'd have to raise voltage or drop multiplier...but since you want to OC raise the voltage a bit and keep an eye on temps...1.25 1.275 and then fine tune...

dbit
Level 7
Ah yeah, 40 at 1.25 gives me the same hitting around 90. So I'm assuming maybe it's a cooler issue? I will try lowering the turbo and then maybe try walking the core back down if its stable. No BSOD this time though, but same high temps.

Idle:

Prime95 at two mins:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm I would definitely see about remounting the cooler...hard to say from here but that doesn't seem right..too high temps for that voltage.

I'd return it to stock for now....

dbit
Level 7
Ok, dropped the clock to 35 turbo and still getting temps near 90 after 5 minutes of prime 95! So something not normal. Ugh! Thanks for your help Arne! I'll report back after reseating in the next couple days!

Zka17
Level 16
Reseat the cooler... and use manual voltages - as low as possible...

Try to reduce the the CPU PLL, usually that won't affect the performance at stocks or mild OC'ing, but could reduce the temps...