cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to O.C.ing - 3930k, RIVE, Hyper Evo (I know...), temps question

dbit
Level 7
Ok, so I made the newb mistake of cheaping out on a cooler when putting together my first box, went with the hyper 212 evo since I figured I wasn't going to do any hard pushing. I've generally run stock with some of the preset bumps. Lately I wasn't happy with the performance I was getting rendering (C4D) so I hit the boards again trying to learn a little bit. I've had my memory set to the spec bus speed and timings etc by entering that manually, and bumped up to see how a 4Ghz OC would do, figuring that's not so high. But I'm getting core temps up near 90c (!) running both RealBench and Prime95 for under two minutes. My idle temps vary between 35c-40c. Is it simply down to this cooler not being up to task for a 40 O.C.?

Also, I noticed initially that all my fans were pegged at Max RMP (1830 or so) even at idle. I opened AI SUITE II and enabled fan Xpert and that seems to be modulating the fans. Should I set this somewhere in the BIOS, or is it fine to do via Fan Xpert?

Annnnd one more thing: with AI suite open I've got two warning messages during idle, one MOBO at 84c but nothing showing abnormal on HWmonitor, and 12V warning, again, nothing abnormal on idle. Is AI II just a bit buggy or something to be worried about?

I'll leave 3 HWmonitor screenshots below. The 1st is Idle, the 2nd is Prime95 at two minutes, and the third is RealBench encoding at 2 minutes. Any feedback or advice is much appreciated! Only memory and turbo settings are changed, Vcore etc is still on auto as per recommendations I saw for a 4Ghz or under OC.

Idle:

Prime95 at two minutes:

RealBench Encoding at two minutes:
49 REPLIES 49

sandro_c
Level 12
Arne true,
I got to see pictures and performance on the web , I agree that the radiators Noctua are works of art, however .... nothing new for me on technical solutions adopted on the new NH-15:
For more than a year, on my NH-14 I had cut in half the first 4 fins at the bottom of radiator, to prevent them from interfering with the fins of my Ram Corsair Dominator GT ... and at the same time I removed the fan 12 cm, replaced with another 14 cm.
At this point i should ask for payment of the patent royalty to the Noctua!
Hello
sandro c.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
hahaha indeed! they should call it the Noctua NH-SandroC15

sandro_c
Level 12
True, Arne true ...
not money but at least a little bit of fame!
Of course, necessity is the mother of invention.
Hello Arne .. you are always nice!
sandro c.

dbit
Level 7
Hi Arne,

Sorry for the delay, busy work week! So I get instability around 4.5 with vcore at 1.36. When I walk it back to 1.35 I seem to get instability even around 4.4. - 4.4 with vcore 1.36 seems to be stable with core temps hovering around 72-77C, I'd say average of 74c (some cores bouncing around 69C at times). What should be my next move? Ambient temps here around 23C inside, pretty controlled.

I'm also still noticing something crazy, that my fans still aren't scaling to full RPM under load (staying just below 900rpm) UNTIL I open fan expert, even momentarily, then I hear the fans kick on and I can close it out and reopen HWMonitor and now my fans are at full (1300 RPM). Is there any way to explain this behavior?

(PS, for whatever reason I wasn't getting email notifications of these thread replies for a while. Strannnge!)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well 4.4 is a good 24/7 OC. Seems your CPU is not a great one voltage wise...of which there are many IB-Es unfortunately I would say you don't really want to go higher temps wise. You could maybe try shaving a bit off CPUPLL 1.7v or 1.65v might drop a degree or two...might not...

The fans I don't get...you have them plugged in to CPU and CPUOPT fan headers?...maybe set manual profile in BIOS 100% 70 degrees 75% for the lower end....can't remember the default figure...

Hi Arne, thanks again for all your help! It's a SB-E chip, but I'm sure that's likely what you meant.

I'll try out the CPUPLL settings. Yes, the fans are plugged into the CPU header with the supplied Y-Cable. Its's a really strange behavior that's making me kinda nervous! But, in the bios I think I have only 20% on the lower end (:eek:) but 100% at 70. Still, when my temps are 75's the fans are below 900RPM until I do the Fan Xpert thing, then they jump up. I was trying to set them in the fan xpert settings. Should I just enable a fan profile in the bios instead and disable or forget about fan expert, or are the two systems tied in together?

Any help in this department would be much appreciated as I'm really worried about my fans hovering that low under load temps!

Thanks again for all your assistance. It's a bummer the voltage performance is so poor, I'm wondering if running it for so long not knowing I was getting throttled so often could have hurt the performance of the chip at all? Anyhow, I wasn't really trying to do anything that extreme, and 4.4 pretty much works for me!

dbit wrote:
It's a SB-E chip, but I'm sure that's likely what you meant.

Err yeah that's what I.....nah actually I was getting confused 😮 seems a bit voltage thirsty for SB-E but....silicon lottery is like that sometimes.

The fan....I would try setting a profile in BIOS and see.....maybe uninstall fan software? I have never used fan software so not the best person to ask...maybe someone else can set you right with that?

I don't reckon you will have damaged your chip....though it's kind of impossible to say for sure...but I don't think so. It's not like you were running with no cooler...

dbit
Level 7
I'll keep playing around, but yeah, it does seem pretty thirsty! Although I came across this SB-E guide at overclockers and it seems to be within their chart range, although they were not using ASUS Mobo's:

Just to clarify, the Fan Xpert is part of AI Suite II, but I keep hearing what crap that whole bundle is. Truth? Should I just ditch it all?

Also, should I move to set offset mode as well since the voltage is high, so that it's not constant? Still trying to understand the whole offset concept.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes to both IMO....actually fan xpert is probably the best thing about AISuite...

Yes, offset will let speedstep work and downclock and downvolt at the same time....as soon as you have a stable manual voltage for your multi....run a stress test and look at your load voltage in CPUz.

Then all you are trying to do is see this same load voltage in CPUz when you have set an offset value....

so set + and minimum value...0.005 and see if you boot and what voltage what you get in CPUz....if it's less than what you want to see increase positive offset...if more switch to negative and set minimum again and then work down by increasing negative offset value.....a bit of trial and error and you'll get there...

sandro_c
Level 12
Arne Hello , hello dbit ,

If I can be of help in my case I used a positive offset of +0.060 to get some stability with multi 46X , @ 4650 Mhz , and BClock @ 101 with voltage excursion in idle at 0.918 and full load at 1,408 .
I continue to disagree about the unreliability of Asus ISuiteII because the Vcore indicates that CPUz is different from a few cents volt.
I dont use fan expert because I have a Zalman Reobus that controls my 4 fans in the chassis, while for the CPU fans i use Asus Qfan set to User ( 40 % duty cicle min at 35C ° max 100 % at 60C °).
My temp are certainly not equal to a liquid cooled but with 25 steps of IBT do not exceeds the 73 ° C with room temp about 23C ° ... I believe that satisfactory .What do you think about that results for an air cooler ?
Ciao to all
sandro c.