cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 3930k - No CPU cooler. Did i just fry my CPU?

warhog22
Level 7
hi all,

I appreciate any help Please

Im a big newb at PC building. Bought a pre-built X79 barbones.

Got it today installed Ram/Gfx card.

Was going to install a easy liquid cooling system for 3930k soon, after i updated bios and made sure system Posted. Or i
would have to return it soon. (30 days)

had to install wireless adaptor to update bios so I started the computer up. Only to install Netgear's Software off CD.

Entered Bios, computer turned off on its own after 2 mins. Again tryed, computer turned off after a few mins.

Booted into WIndows to load Netgear's software. Computer shut off 2/3rds way thru install or 3-5 mins total with power on.

Smelled burning after it shut its self off when i stuck my nose 1 foot from case.

Opened Case. CPU felt very hot to touch. Would burn my finger if i had keeped it there more than 1-2 seconds. So yea hot!

Im guessing the safety feature was kicking in yea? Is my Motherboard or CPU damaged prolly?

I thought CPU Solutions.com who i bought it from did a 24-hour burn in test. Guess not..

Did i just do a really stupid?

BIOS 703 Asus Rampage IV
16gig Corsair Dominator GT 2133 (not set yet)
1200 high Current Pro Corsair 1200 PSU
Windows 7 64bit
9800GT (waiting for AMD 7970's)
haf-x 942 case
18 REPLIES 18

Spoony
Level 8
Paper Weight springs to mind

DangerClose
Level 7
Wait so you had NO cooling solution on the CPU at all? I am amazed that people with no experience attempt this, and that nobody questioned once why there wasn't a cooler installed. Amazing......
*Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 3930K - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 - 2x Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs - WD VelociRaptor 600GB Steam drive - 3x 7970 Tri-Fire !! - Corsair AX1200 PSU - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - H100 Cooler - Win7 x64 Ultimate :cool::cool::cool:

Melting_Point
Level 10
So let me get this straight... You powered up a piece of silicone that dissipates 130W, without a heatsink, and now can't work out why it's not working?

If I were you, I'd send it back for RMA, but at least smear some HS compound on it first.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

angelostefan72
Level 7
huh? is this for real? or just a joke?

Mines_Skyline
Level 7
poor guy. i hope u learn from ur mistake 🙂

Don't mean to pile on the poor guy as We all make mistakes. And you can't get exp if you don't go do it. This just happens to be a bit of an expensive mistake, that could have been prevented by reading the full manual before starting. Please don't misunderstand, not trying to be mean or dump on ya. I'm sure you're already pretty pissed off right now. Just trying to give ya something to do while you wait for replacement

Hopefully he gets it all back up and working. GL.
Asus Rampage 4 Extreme
Intel I7 Extreme
Corsair H80 Coolant
6 x 4Gb Kingston DDR3-1600
Barracuda 3TB
XFX Radeon 6950
Corsair 1200 Gold
Silverstone TJ11

If you didn't know you need a heat sink on your CPU you shouldn't have even attempted building your own system. If I were you I would take all your parts to someone in the computer field and get them to assemble before you mess up something else.

Spencer1990 wrote:
If you didn't know you need a heat sink on your CPU you shouldn't have even attempted building your own system. If I were you I would take all your parts to someone in the computer field and get them to assemble before you mess up something else.
I disagree with this comment TOTALLY!! Through mistakes is how we learn! I have been building high performance systems for 12 years, and it was through mistakes and correction, that I learned, and yes, I also fried a CPU by incorrectly plugging in the CPU fan (that was the last time I did that).
Yes!!, the CPU is fried! See if you can RMA it, and install it properly this time. Keep in mind to research, and do not be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly you think they are, a lot of us here in these forums are here to help!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Stuff happens and as abb1 said we all learn from our mistakes, some mistakes are just more costly than others.

The secret to any PC assembly is to be systematic and not let the excitement of new toys get the better of you. Hard I know but the alternative is the pain of dead kit. And if you have been in this industry as long as some have you are going to end up killing stuff at some point or other. Read up about what is needed and the best sequence to achieve what you are planning before you start. Then read it again. 🙂 Measure twice and cut once I was told by a old hand in shop class when I was a kid. True for working with wood or metal and true for pretty much all else I guess.

Enjoy your system mate and I hope the RMA goes smoothly.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.