cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help! G.Skill FlareX non-QVL RAM not working perfectly in Asus Strix B350F Mobo.

AniChatt
Level 9
Hello Everybody,
Here is my new Ryzen 5 build,
Asus Strix B350F latest bios Version 0805 AGESA 1.0.0.6a
Ryzen 5 1600X
G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB F4-3200C14D- 16GFX
Asus Strix GTX970
Seasonic X-850 PSU
Windows Version: 1703

During RAM decision I have no Idea that G.Skills FlareX AMD compatible RAM will not be in QVL list of Asus Strix B350F gaming motherboard. So I purchased these RAM and installed on my new system. It do work in it's default specified timing and frequency when I select D.O.C.P profile automatically 3200Mhz appears (along with exact timing). But I was getting some sudden display shutdown (No Signal in display and every single component USB freeze to work at that time, even long press power button not works to shut the PC down), DRAM error light on Mobo sometimes blinking and some times glowing constant and display shutdown then restart etc. So I thing it is the RAM issue. Windows Memory Diagnostics not shown any error but I have found the Memtest86 and will test it with this software and post the result eventually.
Contacted Asus support for the same and they have confirmed me the QVL list will be eventually updated. Untill then what I can do? Is there any tips to make it work in my mobo or it is not the RAM problem?
Please help me on this issue. Thanks for reading.
6 REPLIES 6

sufiyankhan1994
Level 7
Try running at lower speed for the time being, perhaps 2933.. theres not much difference between 3200 and 2933

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

hi there, i had similar issues first, but after some research i found that they are working just fine. here is what i did to get them up and running.

first of all, flash your bios to 0809 plz.

leave everything memory related on stock settings, reboot into the bios.

i went into the bios and changed the SOC LLC from auto to regular. reboot, this will give you a SOC voltage of 1.1V - constant. rise it via offset to 1.175V. this means change the SOC voltage setting from auto to offset and punch in the number 0.075 or rise the value via the + key until it say 0.075V. reboot again.

now in the bios, the SOC voltage should say 1.175V. be aware to not go over 1.2V on the SOC voltage! it could damage your CPU!! its very important to turn off soc llc first !

i went into D:O:C:P. and used the only setting availible 3200MHz with its timings. 14/14/14/34 - 1.35V. load it (no reboot) and after that go to your ddr voltage settings, just below, and rise it to 1.375V than reboot again. plz be aware not to rise the ddr voltage over 1.5V. it could damage your ram sticks ! sadly this board dosent have a ram startup voltage setting in the bios think. well, at least i havent found it yet ^^

after reboot in the bios again, you have to set some more timings manualy. i found that the auto setting does not set some timings equal to the XMP table on your ram. try the following:

TRC-48 (not73); TRRD_S 6; TRRD_L 8, TRFC 560, TRFC_2 416, TRFC_4 296, TFAW 39

after that reboot again.

in the qvl of gskill, this board dosent show up either: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx
but i got them working stable, till now.
there are some more tweaks you can try out like changing the ohm settings (do not go over 60) and a few others. but for me this was sufficient enough for24/7/365. if you want you can try lowering the voltage on both the ram and the soc ntil it becomes unstable. so you can find your sweet spot,

for more info watch this, its first hand amd info : https://youtu.be/vZgpHTaQ10k?t=249

i hope this helps you a little bit

ps.: for stability testing i always use battlefield 4, for some reason the dice eng. is very memory sensetive and it will crash pretty fast when you got the wrong memory timings and speed. i found out by trying prime95, lynx aida64 and other tools to be rock stable and after just 3 minutes in bf4 the game will crash with a memory fault.
Orwell was an optimist

celab wrote:
hi there, i had similar issues first, but after some research i found that they are working just fine. here is what i did to get them up and running.
ps.: for stability testing i always use battlefield 4, for some reason the dice eng. is very memory sensetive and it will crash pretty fast when you got the wrong memory timings and speed. i found out by trying prime95, lynx aida64 and other tools to be rock stable and after just 3 minutes in bf4 the game will crash with a memory fault.

Thanks a lot for a detailed info. I do run on 0809. Just to ask few things,

1. TRC-48 (not73); so even with latest bios this mobo is assigning 73 instead of 48?
2. Is SOC: 1.175 and RAM: 1.375 is stable for you and not anything lower? Since this mobo has only 1 power phase, is it safe to go over 1.35 on RAM?
3. As per your tips I will touch ProcODT that is I think the resistance setting at last. That Ryzen RAM expert have discussed about this. One question, increasing the ohm increase ram heat?
4. Lastly I have settled 3066 stable so far without tweaking on 4x8GB sticks. What will be the performance gain from 3066 to 3200? If very low then I don't thing over-volting components not worth that much.
Please throw some light.....Thanks again

Ok tried settings all settings similarly as described. However managed to run at 3200Mhz only when ProcODT si >=40 ohm. I have not incresed the voltage than what suggested SOC 1.175, RAM 1.375. Prime95 stress test seems much stable than early attempts but workers eventually stops working so not 100% stable. Most importantly what I have seen is jumping from 3066-3200 there is very minor jump in real life performance. to achieve this much gain it is totally not worth to push that voltage to different components. I have seen only 7-10 points gain at max. So I switched back to 3066 default.
It seems may be due to 4 dimm config it is a bit difficult to reach 3200 or more. Found some articles where they have achieved higher than 3200. I am waiting for a better bios then.

Thanks celab...

bios 0811 is out helped me a lot with my mem. no need to overvolte anymore. plz try and see how it goes. ! differn from 3066 to 3200 is not worth to mention.
for the ram its safe to go as far as 1.5v max.
Orwell was an optimist

celab wrote:
bios 0811 is out helped me a lot with my mem. no need to overvolte anymore. plz try and see how it goes. ! differn from 3066 to 3200 is not worth to mention.
for the ram its safe to go as far as 1.5v max.

Working fine with a custom programme of Ryzen DRAM calculator to calculate timings and other setting as per ram manufacturer. There is a thread in Overclock forum. It is working @3200 with even tighter timing than specified config. Totally appreciate the guy and his effort to create this programme. Also hate asus not to deal with this issue till now as it seems just the timing is wrong. They don't have time to improve their ram support.

Anyone looking for the fix just type Ryzen DRAM Calculator in google to find the programme. But be very cautious with typhoon burner and don't press any option you don't know as it can soft brick the RAM.