cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help ASAP

bear2cub
Level 7
The problem is that when I try to boot my computer(newly built) it doesn't send anything to the monitor. It turns on and beeps 4 times and my debug LED screen reads "55" Please help! =( Also, I can't use the case to turn it on, I have to press the onboard power button to turn it on.
These are my specs/parts
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme -Z - LGA 1155 - Z68 - Republic of Gamer Series - ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Motherboards
ASUS GT640 2GB DDR3 Memory Graphics Cards
Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)
Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R
Raidmax Hybrid 730W ATX12V/ EPS12V Power Supply RX-730SS
Raidmax Typhoon ATX Mid Tower Case ATX-312WS
21 REPLIES 21

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, bear2cub. Just a few questions.

Code 55 is a memory problem. In which slots did you installed the memory sticks? And are they seated properly?

Unable to power up the motherboard with the case switch is usually 2 things: Either your case switch is dead or the connector isn't connected properly to the motherboard. Check the Power switch connection.

The memory sticks were installed in the recommended slots A2 and B2. They're seated properly. Also the connectors are connected and the case switch works after I turn it on from the button on the motherboard. As in when the computer is running(just on, not actually working still) I can press the case button and it will let me reset the computer, but I still have to press the power button on the mobo to turn it off.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You do not mention what cooler you are using, but I suspect that your cooler is uneven in how it has been fitted.

Do the following please.

Check each of the power cables that they are correctly fitted and the connections are in good order, pay special attention to the 12v CPU connectors.

Remove your cooler and CPU and inspect the socket pins to see if any have been shifted out of alignment. Then re seat your cooler please take care to follow the instructions of fitting very carefully. You do not want uneven or unbalanced tightening of the cooler.

Once you have done all that Clear CMOS

1 Stick of ram in the furtherest slot from the CPU.

Power up.

Enter BIOS and increase the voltage on your Ram by two notches, so if defaulting to 1.500 increase to 1.525

F10 to save and enter.

Post to OS or install your OS.

Then during the next power-down fit your additional ram.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'm using the stock cooler, and it's seated properly. I did what you said HiVizMan and it still beeps 4 times and gives me "55." I don't think you read all of the first post. I can't see anything on the monitor. How can I enter BIOS if there's no way for me to see it?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Fair comment.

Is your VGA cable connected to your graphic card or the motherboard directly?

Please go over your VGA connectors, both for power and for output to your screen. If you are using a HD TV and not PC screen there might be issues with your cable or adaptor.

Fix - remove your graphic card and connect to the on-board graphics, clear CMOS and reboot.

The power on and off thing screams at me that you have in out connectors in the wrong places. But that could be a wiring issue with your case and you will have to test to try and find out why the switch is not working as it should.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

bear2cub
Level 7
I'm using a DVI cable for my monitor. Power and connections are fine. There isn't on board graphics. At least none that I can find. Pertaining to the case I got that figured out. I don't think I had one of the connections snapped into place all the way. 😃

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah right you are on a IV board and no access to IGP. Pity

POST with only one stick of ram in your system please. Use the furtherest slot first and if that does not work try until one does post. Error 55 is a very common error. But a error that can be very frustrating to resolve.

Normally a clear CMOS and one stick of ram will allow you to post.

Once we get to the post process we can then work out why you have nothing on your screen.

And last question since you are on a IV board what is your bios version? If you do not know, if a new board it will have the shipping BIOS on the white sticker near to the sata ports, the last 4 digits are your shipping bios.

bear2cub
Level 7
There's a barcode right above the Sata ports, the last 4 numbers on it are 0706. If it helps the LED that denotes an error with RAM is red. I tried to boot several times. Each time I reset the CMOS and moved the RAM one slot closer to the Processor. To no avail it still says "55" and beeps 4 times on power up. Is there some way I could show you a video? E-mail,facebook, or on here??? Thank you for helping me 🙂

bear2cub wrote:
... there's a barcode right above the Sata ports, the last 4 numbers on it are 0706.

Very interesting - M4EZ bios 0706 was released on 10/10/11, but was pulled by ASUS very shortly after that --- but, no matter ...

Your M4EZ is shipped with a Sandy Bridge CPU bios ...
... you will need to use the USB Bios Flashback feature to update to a 3xxx Series Bios version (3203) for your Ivy Bridge i5-3570K CPU to work.
http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Maximus%20IV%20Extreme-Z&p=1&s=39&hashed...

Download bios 3203 from the ASUS M4EZ download page / Bios Tab ...
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_ExtremeZ/#download

... extract & then copy the 3203 ROM file to an empty Fat32 USB 2.0 stick - then rename the 3203 ROM file on the USB stick to M4EZ.ROM .

Now refer to diagram "2.3.10 Rear panel connection" in the M4EZ manual :

With your machine powered off, plug the USB 2.0 stick into the ROG Connect port (#12) in the rear panel ...
... then push the ROG Connect switch/button (#11) until the switch starts flashing (the Bios Chip #1 LED on the board will be flashing as well) ...
It will take about 2 to 3 to 4 minutes; or so; for the flash to complete - the ROG switch & the Bios Chip LED will stop flashing when complete ...
... then remove the USB Stick from the ROG Connect port, & power on the machine.

Under no circumstance should you interrupt this "re-start to re-set" process of the bios update ...
... the machine will run through 2 boot cycles, & may even power off & power back on, before it brings you to the F1 Screen.
AGAIN - DO NOT INTERRUPT this "re-start to re-set" process !!! ... let the machine run through the "re-set" process completely.

Then F1 into Bios, & on the Main Page of the Advanced Mode, you should see that your bios version is now 3203 ...
... & you, & your M4EZ / i5-3570K should be good to go ...

btw - when on the Main Page of the Advanced Mode in the Bios, please take note of the ME Version ...
- M4EZ - 1: 3510 - 2: 1004 / i7-2600K / Redline 2133 16GB / Win7 Pro x64
- v.3510 / 8.0.0.1351 - v.8.1.0.1263 / 10.8.0.1303 - v.11.2.0.1006
- RevoDrive3x2 240GB - OS / Vector 256GB x2 RAID0 - OS / Vertex3 MI 120GB - OS / P'9230 3.0 2TB - B/U
- 9260-8i BBU - CacheCade Pro Vertex3 120GBx2 RAID0 SSD Caching - Const ES SAS RAID10 GHS - Data
- GTX580 3GB HC2 / Xonar Essence STX / ST1200G / TJ10B-W / ZR30w / SP 2500 2.1
- Water: Swiftech/Koolance/Tygon/EVGA/MIPS - Wind: SST/Noctua/Cougar