hi .i have built a gaming pc three months ago .the configuration is as follows

motherboard:asus rog rampage iv extreme
graphics card:asus gtx 680
ram: g skill ripjaws z series 4*4gb kit(total 16 gb
hard disk:1 tb,wd black drive
cpu :intel i7 3930k
cpu cooler: h 100
case: cooler master cosmos 2

it was working just fine for all this time .yesterday i played a game of batman .then i shut it down.the next morning i tried to turn it on but its not turning on.it is not posting anything .the screen is blank.and nothing is happening on the mother board.when i turn on power supply the lights on the mother board is turning on.but i am not able to start the pc. i tried clearing the cmos.but no luck.
can any one help me please.

i actually cried when it did not start.
please help me.
61 REPLIES 61

HiVizMan
Level 40
Honestly for a short term replacement get the cheapest replacement you can. Or ask for a loaner...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yeah, did you have any luck with your board?

It's not cheap but might get a sabertooth x79. I'd go formula but that will no doubt have same issues. I figure there's one of three things happen with this RMA.

1. The board gets replaced and eventually gets same issue.
2. The board has 'nothing wrong' and is returned and I'm in same situation.
3. They replace it and it works.

2 of those outcomes still leave me with a dead pc, so I'd rather get a half decent mobo.

[/HR]
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K, Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme, BIOS 4102, PSU Corsair 860i, RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML16GX3M4X1600C8), Cooling Corsair H100, Case Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower, Graphics Asus 570 GTX SLI, SSD#1 Corsair Neutron-GTX 256GB SSD, SSD#2 Corsair GT 128GB SSD, Data HDDs Western Digital 3TB RED RAID 1.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Formula is a completely different board actually, does not share many of the same design features as the Extreme. I have not had one moments hassle with the Formula at all. Extreme well lets put it this way, that board has given me a few challenges that is certain.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hmmm you have me wondering now HiVizMan hahaha. If it is as good as you say and has similar features, sounds like it could be a good answer for my current situation.

It is either:

Asus Sabertooth - $339
Asus Rampage IV Formula - $359

Has anyone heard of the 'no post' issue with the Formula IV or anything else which would affect / conflict with the hardware I have? I plan on purchasing something tomorrow so would be great to hear some thoughts 🙂 Would I run into any challenges with bios versions that come with the board out of the box and what is the best BIOS in your experience with that board HiVizMan?

Thanks again

[/HR]
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K, Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme, BIOS 4102, PSU Corsair 860i, RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML16GX3M4X1600C8), Cooling Corsair H100, Case Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower, Graphics Asus 570 GTX SLI, SSD#1 Corsair Neutron-GTX 256GB SSD, SSD#2 Corsair GT 128GB SSD, Data HDDs Western Digital 3TB RED RAID 1.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey Dom - I have my system on 3602 bios. The thing you do have to bare in mind is that your Vengance ram do not always play nice with the X79 platform. So I do not want to put my neck on a block here. But certainly the Formula board has given fewer folk cause to post requests for assistance on ROG than any of the other X79 boards if that is any help.

Awesome, that is great to know. What RAM is recommended for these boards normally?

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
The only ram I would not use is the Vengance range. I ran Geil 16GB kit in that system, but did tests with about 20 kits of GSkill and Kingston with no problem.

HiVizMan, what's a good G.Skill RAM for both Formula and Extreme? I was reading your post about RAM and there being no such thing as 'best' as each have a strong point for different uses, so, I mean for 3D rendering using Mental Ray, Gaming and General Design Work? Doesn't have to be top of the range, I was just curious at this stage...

Would you normally choose low timings over Mhz?

HiVizMan wrote:
The only ram I would not use is the Vengance range. I ran Geil 16GB kit in that system, but did tests with about 20 kits of GSkill and Kingston with no problem.

[/HR]

Pratham
Level 10
Hi niroop! I see that's a big puzzle you are in...I have same motherboard..I had similar problem when I bought the PC..and after trying hard i decided to dismantled everything. I took out CPU, GPU, everything. I even removed Motherboard from the case and put it on sponge type of surface.Like your personal homemade test bench..and I carefully installed everything on that surface...and after installing power cables, I pressed start button on the motherboard...and voila it started like a magic...I don't know what I did wrong or there was any loose connections. But sometimes I think it's just a matter of luck..
Try doing it with one RAM stick & Yeah please tell us if you are getting any error code on q-code display above the start button.
see image below

Extreme right

HiVizMan
Level 40
Basically any of the Gskill quad core kits are good for thee boards. For your useage I would go for min 16GB 4 x 4 GB kit, 32GB would be perfect for the rendering side of things. BUT one kit, not two kits to make up the totals. So it would be 4 x 8gb kit for 32GB. Costs more than two kits but there is a good reason for that and well worth the money. And yes I know of people who have no issues with two kits, good luck to them.