hi .i have built a gaming pc three months ago .the configuration is as follows

motherboard:asus rog rampage iv extreme
graphics card:asus gtx 680
ram: g skill ripjaws z series 4*4gb kit(total 16 gb
hard disk:1 tb,wd black drive
cpu :intel i7 3930k
cpu cooler: h 100
case: cooler master cosmos 2

it was working just fine for all this time .yesterday i played a game of batman .then i shut it down.the next morning i tried to turn it on but its not turning on.it is not posting anything .the screen is blank.and nothing is happening on the mother board.when i turn on power supply the lights on the mother board is turning on.but i am not able to start the pc. i tried clearing the cmos.but no luck.
can any one help me please.

i actually cried when it did not start.
please help me.
61 REPLIES 61

kingsaadi
Level 7
Cudos to the person who figured out the hairdryer workaround!

I know this is years later, but this problems has been happening on my RIVE more frequently as of December 2017.

The issue first appeared in mid 2013/14 sometime and I RMAed the board. ASUS sent it back 'repaired'. the board seemed ok for a few months before the issue started again. But it was so infrequent I didn't bother addressing it, until now!

So far 2 workarounds work for me...

1. Take the system completely apart and unplug all connections to the motherboard. Leave overnight and system boots. Disconnection only PSU overnight doesn't work.

2. When PC won't boot, use hairdryer to heat up the motherboard, I go from edge to edge a few times before targeting the area near CMOS battery and near the "Start" and "Reset" button on the motherboard. Have to do this for 2-3 minutes and then press the motherboard Start button or case start button. It then boots up, but can't post (get error code 5A or 65 or 62) > press reset on the case or mobo > System starts normally, login, pc working fine.

This method however, is a temporary fix. Anyone know of a permanent solution? I can't RMA the board anymore as it's out of warranty. It's run a good 5 years with only this startup issue as a pain in the backside.

Also wondering if VCORE BOOTUP VOLTAGE setting in bios can help with this problem?

Specs:
RIVE Bios 4901
Intel i7 3970x @ 4.5ghz with -0.005 offset vcore. LLC regular 120%. Phase control optimised. PCIE and CPU spread spectrum disabled.
Corsair dominator platinum 1866mhz 8gb*4 - @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.55v.
Intel 520series SSD
WD caviar black 2tb HDD
EVGA GTX 980 SLI
Corsair AX1200 PSU
NZXT Havok 140 cooler w/push n pull fans.
NZXT Phantom 820 full tower case
Win 7 ultimate x64
i7 3970x 4.0ghz
NZXT Kraken X61 with 2x Noctua industrial A14 2000rpm fans
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1866mhz 8gbx4
Corsair AX1200
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Asus Xonar Essence STX
EVGA 2x GTX980 SLI
Intel 520 Series SSD 480gb
WD Caviar Black 2TB
Asus 24x DVDRW
NZXT Phantom 820

kingsaadi wrote:
Cudos to the person who figured out the hairdryer workaround!

I know this is years later, but this problems has been happening on my RIVE more frequently as of December 2017.

The issue first appeared in mid 2013/14 sometime and I RMAed the board. ASUS sent it back 'repaired'. the board seemed ok for a few months before the issue started again. But it was so infrequent I didn't bother addressing it, until now!

So far 2 workarounds work for me...

1. Take the system completely apart and unplug all connections to the motherboard. Leave overnight and system boots. Disconnection only PSU overnight doesn't work.

2. When PC won't boot, use hairdryer to heat up the motherboard, I go from edge to edge a few times before targeting the area near CMOS battery and near the "Start" and "Reset" button on the motherboard. Have to do this for 2-3 minutes and then press the motherboard Start button or case start button. It then boots up, but can't post (get error code 5A or 65 or 62) > press reset on the case or mobo > System starts normally, login, pc working fine.

This method however, is a temporary fix. Anyone know of a permanent solution? I can't RMA the board anymore as it's out of warranty. It's run a good 5 years with only this startup issue as a pain in the backside.

Also wondering if VCORE BOOTUP VOLTAGE setting in bios can help with this problem?

Specs:
RIVE Bios 4901
Intel i7 3970x @ 4.5ghz with -0.005 offset vcore. LLC regular 120%. Phase control optimised. PCIE and CPU spread spectrum disabled.
Corsair dominator platinum 1866mhz 8gb*4 - @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.55v.
Intel 520series SSD
WD caviar black 2tb HDD
EVGA GTX 980 SLI
Corsair AX1200 PSU
NZXT Havok 140 cooler w/push n pull fans.
NZXT Phantom 820 full tower case
Win 7 ultimate x64

I have this problem too for a long time... There is no fix and ASUS doesn't care too.
No matter for how long i use the hairdryer sometimes it won't boot, than i just open the case and let it there after a while it starts to try to boot alone. :eek:

The only fix is buy a new computer and don't buy asus motherboard again.

RIVE Bios 4901 - 4930K - AX 1200i.