hi .i have built a gaming pc three months ago .the configuration is as follows

motherboard:asus rog rampage iv extreme
graphics card:asus gtx 680
ram: g skill ripjaws z series 4*4gb kit(total 16 gb
hard disk:1 tb,wd black drive
cpu :intel i7 3930k
cpu cooler: h 100
case: cooler master cosmos 2

it was working just fine for all this time .yesterday i played a game of batman .then i shut it down.the next morning i tried to turn it on but its not turning on.it is not posting anything .the screen is blank.and nothing is happening on the mother board.when i turn on power supply the lights on the mother board is turning on.but i am not able to start the pc. i tried clearing the cmos.but no luck.
can any one help me please.

i actually cried when it did not start.
please help me.
61 REPLIES 61

Daskful
Level 7
Let us know what they say. I wish I had an Asus department near me, I live in Hawaii 😞

Hey all,

Know this hasn't been raised for a while but I am experiencing the exact same issue as everyone else here.

Does ASUS know this is a problem?!?!?

I have tried everything, the lights are on the 'start' and 'reset' buttons (on the motherboard), yet I have no luck starting the thing. This just happened out of the blue, sometimes I would try and start it and nothing would happen, then I would press the button again and it would work. This all of a sudden turned into not starting at all.

I have tried the ram combinations in different slots, even went out and bought a new PSU, same deal, no post, no fan start-up or anything. I am about to send it back for RMA, it is really inconvenient though, especially since you drop about $450 on this motherboard only to get issues...

Has anyone else had the same issue or had a successful RMA? I am worried as I can very, very rarely get it to start when leaving it off and unplugging it for extended periods of time, so I am worried when they test it that the motherboard will work. The only piece of mind I have is that last time I did this it didn't work, when I connected my new PSU.

I am finding I keep getting burned by these boards, then every time I upgrade I read reviews saying how much improved they are so I buy them again. The last board I had was an Asus Striker Extreme 680i board, the biggest pile of temperamental junk I have ever bought IMO. I am wondering if there is a more reliable motherboard out there, anyone had any luck with the Sabertooth or any other non-Asus boards?

[/HR]
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K, Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme, BIOS 4102, PSU Corsair 860i, RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML16GX3M4X1600C8), Cooling Corsair H100, Case Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower, Graphics Asus 570 GTX SLI, SSD#1 Corsair Neutron-GTX 256GB SSD, SSD#2 Corsair GT 128GB SSD, Data HDDs Western Digital 3TB RED RAID 1.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mate the 680 board were nVidea chipset and they were ALL rubbish regardless of who put the sticker on the box. I should know I had four of the darn things and all gave me hell. 🙂

If you are not happy with ASUS then please exercise your right of choice and go with another brand. I fully support you in that. One of the key factors with top end boards like the Rampage IV Extreme is that it is a very complex piece of kit. The more complexity that is included the more there is to go wrong, the gains when all works well is incredible especially for the target market - namely extreme overclocks and benchers who will be using sub-zero cooling. That being said there is no reason for you to be having that problem.

There are two possible causes. One the motherboard is defective. Two the PSU is defective.

Lets look at the motherboard first. Are all the Power cables fitted, in other words are all the power connectors populated? Especial focus on the 12v CPU slots.

Are the pins of the socket in perfect condition. Over tightening can cause pins to become misaligned with the corresponding pad under the CPU. Temperature changes can cause slight expansion and contraction which can impact on this.

On to the PSU. How old is the PSU, and are all the connectors in good condition. I have had the little metal inserts shift with a couple of my newer PSU's no idea why this is happening can only be because in changes in how they source or manufacture the inserts and power connectors. Lowest bidder supplies the bit and pieces I guess.

Let me know and we can see where to go from here.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for your response HiVizMan 🙂

The thing that bothers me is that I am not overclocking it, so it should just work 😉 Nothing was disconnected in recent times, in fact the only thing that has changed in the last 12 months was replacing two internal 2tb green drives with my two internal 3tb red drives, so I would wonder why it would all of a sudden not boot when no cables were touched, only devices were added. I have had this board working fully for around 17 months now.

That being said, when this all occurred several times I did take everything out and re-plug everything in, it worked and then stopped again. Before I installed the new PSU on the last attempt it would spin up then stop, spin up then stop, so I decided to wait for the new PSU before damaging my components if that was at fault.

The time before that I got it working after removing battery, unplugging, stuffing around with using other bios then switching back and putting power back in etc, then after that worked I could restart as much as I wanted... The thing it didn't like as per other people's comments here was being shut down overnight. When that happened it was either near impossible, or in the last instance, impossible to start up again. I even left the power off overnight and tried my same technique with no success.

Enter the new PSU... As mentioned above I went out and got a new PSU, to eliminate that possibility, so it is not the PSU. The old PSU was a HX850 Corsair, it was about 4 years old. I went and bought a brand new 860i three days ago to eliminate that... After reconnecting everything and the new PSU it wouldn't boot, the same symptoms as the HX850 the last time I tried it. Same deal, light on the reset and start buttons but no power up, no fans spin, no HDD on etc.

Regarding the CPU, this has always been in the same location, it has NEVER been refitted and has worked for over 12months without any issues. I have no reason to suspect this to be at fault and upon removing the cpu, no pins were bent, everything looks 100% a-ok.

Any other thoughts? Appreciate the help BTW, the situation is just a little frustrating for such a highly recommended board when I have it 100% stock standard 🙂

[/HR]
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K, Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme, BIOS 4102, PSU Corsair 860i, RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB Dual/Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML16GX3M4X1600C8), Cooling Corsair H100, Case Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower, Graphics Asus 570 GTX SLI, SSD#1 Corsair Neutron-GTX 256GB SSD, SSD#2 Corsair GT 128GB SSD, Data HDDs Western Digital 3TB RED RAID 1.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK that is a very clear narrative and thank you.

Electronics can fail and do fail without apparent rhyme or reason. In your case I am sure you have some component intermittent failure or degradation. All I have for you is RMA the board please. I know that is not what you want to hear.

I am however assumming you have done the following previously.

Tried BIOS A and B
Full Clear CMOS
Update BIOS
Downgraded BIOS (or reverted depending on your preference in terms)

Sorry that you have had this happen, but sadly it does happen. I have boards from all manufactures and I still can not work out why my X58 UD9 board died on me mid OS install.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey buddy,

I may give it another go today, but yes, I did try both Bios's, it worked when I went back to the old one at one point, but wasn't 'the magic bullet' in other times. It was a super old bios, not even sure what version to be honest. I was on the new CAP format when these things started from memory 3204 or 3402, can't remember. Then recently when I had it up and running I got it to the latest 4202 or whatever. I thought that solved my issues but then when I switched off overnight the same thing happened. I might look into downgrading the BIOS, I will check your signature link out 🙂 Thanks for all your help, the RMA wouldn't be ideal but at the end of the day I am more concerned that it happens to the testers too and they don't get it working and restart and say it's fine. Because it is intermittent (at best) and doesn't work mainly after a shutdown 🙂

[/HR]

Is there any BIOS version in particular that was / is a good one to use?

[/HR]

I put it all back together, and out of about > 20 tries, it spun up for no more than half a second before turning off again, twice out of the > 20 times. I just tried a few times again then, nothing at all. Reset and start lights on, nothing starts up still. Tried both Bios chips, no difference, also removed cmos battery and put it back in, nothing. Was considering new battery but probably no point. Also thought I wouldn't bother with the flashback, would that really make a difference?

[/HR]

FireRx
Level 11
Smells like an RMA bro. 😞
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 2301]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

RMA tomorrow then, I also just went and got a new CMOS battery, that did nothing. How long do these RMA's take normally?

On another note, I have work I need to do this week and this machine has all my work data, obviously the RMA won't be done by then, was wondering what other motherboards would be suitable for the hardware I have?

Thanks for all the help guys!

[/HR]