cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My M6F board needs rebooting from Bios to get to Windows

Denoppo
Level 7
I moved my discussion on my Maximus VI Formula board to start a new thread for some help.
My issue stems from the fact that Windows will not boot unless I go into the Bios to physically select my boot drive from the Advanced screen in UEFI. Currently my only drive that is now hooked up after removing my optical drive to install Windows is my Samsung SSD 840 Pro. Nothing seems wrong with any of my drives or fans. My SSD is working correctly. Audio, video works well. All drivers were downloaded from the supplied DVD and installed with no issues. The few things I have installed work great. My Device Manager in Windows shows the proper drive and is partitioned correctly. My drive is in Intel Port 1. I have tried other cables and ports they all work correctly. I can get into Windows but I must always boot from Bios as my SSD Boot drive does not get saved after I exit out of bios. This is an all new build - bios is holding me up. I have spoken with ASUS Support and they believe the Bios Chip is not working correctly after they ran me thru a few minor checks. In any case it would seem that UEFI should be able to save my boot drive so that during boot-up Windows appears. This is not the case as I must always go into UEFI and physically select the drive from the BOOT (F8) tab and only then it will go into Windows - there is no other way at this time.
Asus Maximus VI Formula-CaseLabs SM8 Case-Corsair K70 Keyboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133-Dell 2560 X 1440 Monitor-Func MS-3 Mouse
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans
Samsung SSD 840 Pro-Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP-Windows 7 Ultimate
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15
Just to verify. Are you running the latest BIOS for your motherboard and if you had to update it, did you do it through the EZ Flash Utility within the BIOS?

Denoppo
Level 7
Thanks Chino butI have done no bios updates as I believe it came with 0714 which should be good enough for the present time I believe. If I can get the UEFI to save my boot request and that is - Exit and save my boot drive I can move on to bigger and better things. If you think its worth a shot I might try it but I am leery of re-flashing a bad Bios chip if ASUS support is correct
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans

Denoppo wrote:
Thanks Chino butI have done no bios updates as I believe it came with 0714 which should be good enough for the present time I believe. If I can get the UEFI to save my boot request and that is - Exit and save my boot drive I can move on to bigger and better things. If you think its worth a shot I might try it but I am leery of re-flashing a bad Bios chip if ASUS support is correct

If it's on 0714 then there's no point in reflashing it since that's the latest one. I thought it might have came with an earlier BIOS. Try this instead. It will completely clear your CMOS. Switch off your PSU and disconnect the power cable. Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes then put it back into place. Reconnect your power cable and switch on the PSU. Power on your system.

Does it boot into Windows? If not what is the exact error message that shows on screen?

warmmilk
Level 7
0714 is the current bios

Denoppo
Level 7
Well I would actually have to tear down my system and disassemble completely including the CPU Heatsink and remove the plastic plating that covers the entire board. About a 2 hour operation I would think just to get to the battery. If I am going to go to all that trouble I might as well have the new board in hand. Also as delicate an operation this is I could very well tear up a fan wire or bend pins or more hint sink fins on my Prolimatech Genesis dual heatsink (its a problem but it sure looks good). Support did walk me thru the clear cmos and restart but no luck, changes just cannot be saved.

Chino
Level 15
Ah yes, my bad. Forgot that the new Formula comes with that thermal armor thing. 😛 I'll leave it up to you then, mate. Your call. 😉

Personally I like removing the battery to clear the CMOS rather than use the little button on the back although in theory, they do the same thing. LOL

Raja
Level 13
Dennopo please read this post slowly and in its entirety. When you respond to it, respond to each point in turn, systematically please. Do not ignore any part.

1) When your board reBOOTs does it take you into UEFI itself or do you get a prompt to hit F1 to enter UEFI with an error message? If it's the latter what is the message? Please type it out word for word.

2) I have asked you twice now to show us the advanced BOOT page of UEFI - the pictures you posted in the other thread DO NOT include the requested pages. Instead you've posted a couple of EZ mode screenshots with a couple of advanced mode screenshots from pages we did not even request. At this point I'm wondering why you're avoiding showing us what we're asking for? You do know where the advanced BOOT menu is, because your previous posts suggest you've tried to make changes there!

So I will ask one more time for the requisite images please. I am not asking for EZ mode pictures of BOOT order. Go into the advanced menu and take screenshots of the BOOT section and include the BBS drive order page.

3) Any changes made to the BOOT order will not register in the save and exit changes menu. The message "you have made no changes" when changing BOOT device order is normal. Do not worry about this part.

Work with Praz, Hiviz or myself only for now - too many responses only serve to confuse the thread and point in the wrong direction. You've already ended up RMAing by listening to too many folks - an RMA that is not going to solve a setup problem with UEFI or a UEFI bug of sorts. There should have been more debugging done before you got to the point of RMA.

Thanks
-Raja

Raja@ASUS
I am at my Laptop typing this and my new build is beside me presently in the UEFI BIOS Utility- Advanced Mode25029

Denoppo
Level 7
To start off I do want your help. I am not avoiding you as this may be your perception but I am here behind my PC 24 hrs a day except for sleep. I will listen any and all helpful hints to resolve this. Until 3 days ago I have never been in a Bios or a UEFI. All the pictures I sent you is all I can see. If you want more you have to be precise in telling me w/o synonyms or acronyms as I do not know what BBS means. You are beginning to accuse me of avoiding you why would you think that? Please don't do that as I am here behind my PC. The pictures you want and the pictures I see must be 2 different things. I can call or e-mail you if you wish.

For point 1 - After shut down or restart My PC goes to the ROG Splashscreen for a few seconds then into American Megatrends which says-

ASUS Maximus VI Formula ACPI BIOS REVISION 0714

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Speed: 3500MHz (Target Speed: 3900MHz)
Total Memory: 16384 MB (DDR3-1333)
USB Devices total: 0 Drive, 2 Keyboards, 1 Mouse, 4 Hubs
Dedicated ATA/ATAPI Devices...
SATA Port 1: Samsung SSD 840 Pro Ser I

CPU Fan Error!
Press F1 to Run Setup

After Pressing F1 the screen goes to the
ROG UEFI BIOS Utility - Advanced Mode Exit
The tabs are:
My Favorites Extreme Tweaker Main Advanced Monitor Boot
- this is where I thought you want me to be to start taking pictures

Precisely where is the BOOT section that includes the BBS and what is BBS so that I can understand? If I was to guess this means Bios Boot Sequence? drive order page which I thought I already took a pictiure of