cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My M6F board needs rebooting from Bios to get to Windows

Denoppo
Level 7
I moved my discussion on my Maximus VI Formula board to start a new thread for some help.
My issue stems from the fact that Windows will not boot unless I go into the Bios to physically select my boot drive from the Advanced screen in UEFI. Currently my only drive that is now hooked up after removing my optical drive to install Windows is my Samsung SSD 840 Pro. Nothing seems wrong with any of my drives or fans. My SSD is working correctly. Audio, video works well. All drivers were downloaded from the supplied DVD and installed with no issues. The few things I have installed work great. My Device Manager in Windows shows the proper drive and is partitioned correctly. My drive is in Intel Port 1. I have tried other cables and ports they all work correctly. I can get into Windows but I must always boot from Bios as my SSD Boot drive does not get saved after I exit out of bios. This is an all new build - bios is holding me up. I have spoken with ASUS Support and they believe the Bios Chip is not working correctly after they ran me thru a few minor checks. In any case it would seem that UEFI should be able to save my boot drive so that during boot-up Windows appears. This is not the case as I must always go into UEFI and physically select the drive from the BOOT (F8) tab and only then it will go into Windows - there is no other way at this time.
Asus Maximus VI Formula-CaseLabs SM8 Case-Corsair K70 Keyboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133-Dell 2560 X 1440 Monitor-Func MS-3 Mouse
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans
Samsung SSD 840 Pro-Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP-Windows 7 Ultimate
15 REPLIES 15

Denoppo wrote:
CPU Fan Error!
Press F1 to Run Setup

That is the whole problem. Nothing to do with the drive. You do have a fan connected to the CPU fan header, right? If so the fan's RPM is not being properly detected during POST or is too low. So you are receiving a boot error as the motherboard does not know there is a fan connected. Do as warmmilk has wrote or connect a different fan and see if the problem goes away.

warmmilk
Level 7
so I know Raja said to ignore everyone except him and a couple others, but it might be your cpu fan. Its not that its to slow, its that the Noctual fans spin slower than most others, so the mobo is seeing it as too low. My cousin was having a similar issue, but it was a long time ago so I don't remember if it was exactly same as yours.

you can try this while you're waiting for Raja to reply
go to the monitor tab
go down to fan speed control
and under cpu fan, it'll prolly have rpm at 600.
thats the speed at which an alarm goes off. So lower that to 400.

exit, save changes, try restarting

Denoppo
Level 7
Here is a picture of UEFI BIOS Utility-Advanced Mode > "Boot"
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans

Raja
Level 13
1) Now that you have told us what your error is, we know what your issue is.

2) Your issue with halting is your CPU fan, the speed of the fan is low so it is triggering a failsafe built into UEFI.

3) You need to navigate to the Fan Control section of UEFI and set the fan speed limit lower or to ignore. that will cure your issue. You DO NOT have an issue with your BOOT order. Telling us what the error was as Praz asked two days ago in that thread helped us get to the bottom of this mess.

4) Between reading the motherboard manual that shipped in the box your board came with, and spending time in UEFI you should be able to find the Fan speed section. Refer to Warmilk's post above for further tips on how to find that function.

-Raja

Denoppo
Level 7
Bless you all, Its all good now. While I have you all here would the next step be to go to ASUS and download AI Suite III and start the Fan Expert Utility?
Raja@ASUS can you cancel my RMA or should I call?
Thank-you all again.
Dave

Raja
Level 13
I don't deal with RMAs so you'll have to call.