cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 4.8GHz overclock is not entirely stable! Need Help!

jblanc03
Level 7
Hello, I did everything in this video to the T!:

It was pretty stable for many days. I did not run a thorough test however. But i did game like Crazy and nothing happend for about 2 weeks.

Every now and then very rarely i get a BSOD and when i power back on, my bios tells me that overclocking failed

I ran AIDA64 stress test for 10 minuts with no issues. I know i should test it with Prime95 for hours to be sure of stability but can you guys suggest anything i should tweak? Please watch the video to see everything i set my Bios to.

thanks
Case: TH10 Caselabs Black Aluminum with Extended Pedestal,Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme, CPU: i73960x, RAM: 24GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133mhz, GPU: GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper's x3 Tri-SLI, Soundcard: Sound Blaster Titanium HD, PSU: One EVGA 1500w and One Thermaltake 800w, 2x Samsung Pro SSD RAID 0 4x Intel 520 SSD Striped 1x Hitachi 1TB HD 3 separate Custom Water Cooling Loops, 40 Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fans and 4 radiators and 3 reservoirs, 5 MCP655 pumps total
15 REPLIES 15

SUKARA
Level 10
What's the motherboard bios version are you using?
Did you have upgrade the motherbaord latest version?
And
What's model motherboard are you using?

Did you catch the codes on the BSODs? As you can see you don't have to run prime for hours to see if you're stable....normal use will tell you too.Best bet would be to set a lower multiplier. The point of the video is not to give a recipe but to show you what you have in the BIOS to tweak. Each CPU will be different and some may not OC to 48 happily.....try 4.7....4.6

Also the BSOD may be related to RAM or power problems...drivers not just the OC. look in event viewer for clues.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Did you catch the codes on the BSODs? As you can see you don't have to run prime for hours to see if you're stable....normal use will tell you too.Best bet would be to set a lower multiplier. The point of the video is not to give a recipe but to show you what you have in the BIOS to tweak. Each CPU will be different and some may not OC to 48 happily.....try 4.7....4.6

Also the BSOD may be related to RAM or power problems...drivers not just the OC. look in event viewer for clues.

I understand where your comming from, but what happens is My PC crashes for about 30 seconds and then gives me a BSOD.

After i shutdown and power on, i always get Overclock Failed message. SO thats why i think it definitley has to do with my OC. I should be able to be Happy with 4.8 GHZ using this Processor. There must be a setting that i have to tweak a bit.
Case: TH10 Caselabs Black Aluminum with Extended Pedestal,Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme, CPU: i73960x, RAM: 24GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133mhz, GPU: GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper's x3 Tri-SLI, Soundcard: Sound Blaster Titanium HD, PSU: One EVGA 1500w and One Thermaltake 800w, 2x Samsung Pro SSD RAID 0 4x Intel 520 SSD Striped 1x Hitachi 1TB HD 3 separate Custom Water Cooling Loops, 40 Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fans and 4 radiators and 3 reservoirs, 5 MCP655 pumps total

jblanc03 wrote:
I should be able to be Happy with 4.8 GHZ using this Processor. There must be a setting that i have to tweak a bit.

This is never a given for any overclock. It is quite possible that your CPU simply can't do it. As I said there is no recipe or tweak. If you are running 3 psus I would be amazed you are stable! Are you running tripple or quad sli. Maybe it is simply driver issues.

I would pare back to one card first and then try the OC...get stable and then add a card and so on.

Without BSOD codes or any other information from event viewer it will be difficult to make sugestions.

Why 3 PSUs . One for cards one for the MB and rest would be a start 😉

SUKARA@ASUS wrote:
What's the motherboard bios version are you using?
Did you have upgrade the motherbaord latest version?
And
What's model motherboard are you using?

Rampage IV extreme
Bios: 2105(Latest)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Did you catch the codes on the BSODs? As you can see you don't have to run prime for hours to see if you're stable....normal use will tell you too. Best bet would be to set a lower multiplier. The point of the video is not to give a recipe but to show you what you have in the BIOS to tweak. Each CPU will be different and some may not OC to 48 happily.....try 4.7....4.6

Nodens
Level 16
jblanc03 I noticed you are the same guy with the 3 PSUs on the other thread. I have to tell you one thing that immediately comes to mind. By utilizing 3 PSUs you are creating ground loops. All components are connected to each other and you have at least 3 grounds. As electricity will take the shortest path to ground, the difference in potential will cause unwanted current. Ground loops cause EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) which may be the cause for your other troubles as well.

More on ground loops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_%28electricity%29

PS I would not be surprised if your onboard sound has a background hum that you can't seem to be able to get rid of or is simply rather noisy,
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens
Level 16
Hey Arne! I'm quoting the other thread:

3 Power Supplys: 2x Silver Stone ST 1500w 1x Thermaltake 800w

1 power supply for each thing: 1 for CPU/Motherboard 1 for GPUs and 1 for All watercooling components and controllers:

He said he is using 3 of them for better cable management as I had exactly the same question you had (specially when I saw the wattage on those PSUs :P). He has a power related issue on the other thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23533-Power-Issues&country=&status= and this setup sounds like recipe for disaster to me... I personally think that, at least, for the sake of troubleshooting all his issues he should start with using just one PSU.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Guys,
Please go to this link and read
http://www.overclock.net/t/15751/info-can-i-use-two-power-supplies-with-one-computer