cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing USB drive.

Dietlard
Level 8
Hey Guys, it's been a while....
Just about to reinstall Windows 8 (accidentally deleted some needed folders !) and put my trusty 8Gb thumb drive into the usual slot, rebooted, pressed F8 a few times, list of drives to boot from appeared but there was no USB thumb drive in the list. Have recently (about 14 days ago) upgraded to latest BIOS (will edit version no. in in a second need to reboot) without any problems, have had a Startech.com 4 port PCIe x 4 SATA II card installed for a couple of years (in various Crosshairs) without problem, running Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit, have 2x2.5" SSD drives and a 2.5" hybrid drive in a 4 bay hot swap unit (icy dock), have 1 mechanical drive in a separate hotswap bay, additional 6 mechanical drives inside the case. Normally put thumb drive in same slot, reboot, F8 and my USB thumb drive is on the list. I may have added an extra drive recently. Anyone got any ideas why thumb drive isn't showing up in list ? It isn't showing up in BIOS any more either. If I open Windows Explorer I can see and use the thumb drive without problem - just can't boot from it (any more). Is there a limit to the number of drives that can be listed to boot from in the BIOS ? Took out 1 drive and retried - no difference.

Thanks in advance blah blah blah.
6 REPLIES 6

Dietlard
Level 8
couldn't find edit so had to reply....

BIOS version is 2002.

hax0rmort
Level 11
thumb drive NEEDS to be formatted FAT format, i'm pretty sure FAT32 will work as well. Check that first before continuing.
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

TheNerdBench
Level 10
My gosh man...pull some of the drives as I don't think the BIOS has enough space left to display your flash drive 🙂

On a more serious note remove all drives except the one you need to install Windows on...I would also pull that SATA PCIe card as it has it's own BIOS which may be causing the boot order problems. This will also help you make sure you don't format a drive that you didn't intend too 🙂

Keep us posted on your progress!

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

After some research (see http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/repair-your-usb-flash-drive) I have come to the conclusion that the thumb drive is damaged. One of the indicators is that copying files to the USB runs at about 700kb/s, formatting it took over 2 hours.

So went out and bought an expensive one from a local shop (£9) this morning. Just in the middle of putting an ISO on it so I can reinstall Windows 8 from it - I expect it to boot as normal and will post to confirm if reinstallation goes as expected or otherwise if not.

No need to pull SATA card as it works fine (even though it is only SATA 2 it has SATA 2 drives connected to it), if I formatted a drive by mistake that would be a learning experience.

Later Guys.

Dietlard
Level 8
Hi Guys.

As expected, put in new USB with Windows 8 ISO on ready for reinstallation, rebooted and it showed up in the BIOS ! So, problem solved and I guess it was a faulty thumb drive and still no problems with BIOS 2002.

Off to reinstall Windows 8. Again.

Cheers.

Glad it turned out to be a simple problem; sorry but I assumed you had already tried another USB Flash Drive with the same results...my bad.

Thanks for posting back what the problem was and enjoy the system.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]