cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Sound Card device in Windows

A_M__Gonzales
Level 7
So I have this odd problem which might be more windows then hardware. First off I had a Maximus Impact VI running windows 8.1. Great board great setup but I need more expansion. Only reason not to go with this board is if you need expansion. So I bought a
Maximus VII Gene which was perfect since my case could accommodate both mini-iTX and Micro-AtX. Very little was need to
transition to the new board. Now here’s where I’ll most likely get a lot of comments on. I decided not to rebuild the operating system because I really wanted to preserve my system with all of its applications. One small testament for Windows 8.1 is that it transitions from one hardware platform to another went quite well, auto detection of hardware was quite amazing but as they say nothing is perfect. So currently
everything on the new system is working great except the sound card. Now prior to the hardware move the sound was working fine on the Maximus Impact VI board. I believe the sound cards are different? Once I moved my drives, Samsung 840 512Gb and 840
1 Tb SSD drives over the windows system auto detected the chip set and all the hardware on the new system. The only item I didn't see was the new sound card. I tried removing the card and reseeding it but still its not showing on the device manager.

So in this scenario would you rebuild the system? Or should I dump the sound card go with something else.
4 REPLIES 4

Menthol
Level 14
I have done the same as you several times, although there's nothing like a fresh install, my office and adobe software can be difficult to get re-registered.
You need to list the components, is this the on board sound card or a dedicated sound card? uninstall your sound drivers, if you have a dedicated sound card disable the on board sound in the bios and reboot. check to see if your sound card is recognized

Pandur
Level 10
Both motherboards use the Realtek 1150 for the onboard sound. You could try uninstalling the drivers and software for that and install the latest version for your new motherboard. Could be that simple. But I would recommend a full Windows reinstall after a motherboard swap anyway. Gets rid of all the mess this causes in the registry and so on.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

A_M__Gonzales
Level 7
Thanks Menthol and Pandur I think a full re-install is my best bet. Getting those apps installed again especially those stupid cloud base ones are such a hassle!

A_M__Gonzales
Level 7
Tried the re-install and of course it was still not working. In this case I replaced the motherboard with a new board and now the sound card is working. One of my first bad hardware out of the box deals.