cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic issues - Still no fix?

Serial77
Level 7
A perfectly working microphone sounds really low and with a lot of noise on a clean win 7 64 bit install using the latest drivers provided by Asus for the Maximus VI Hero (Realtek_Audio_Win7-8_8-1_VER6017023)

Nothing has been overlooked (volume levels, boosts, noise canceling...)

No known software settings alter this behavior (many tricks out there, none work).

Uninstalling drivers and using windows generic does not solve the issue.

Drivers seem bugged as they don't overwrite some windows settings (view youtube link below)

You can find many posts online where people seem to be confusing the error with the typical problems of a muted mic, boost not enabled, etc... and end up concluding that the problem is in the mic itself. Well, it's not. My mic works fine on my laptop and on my wife's desktop.

All this fuzz about such a great Audio device on-board and the drivers are the messiest thing I've seen in years, hard to believe this is actually shipped like this. Also something tells me devs themselves have issues as I noticed in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=mLc_hGbqOt4

So what's the deal here? Disable in bios and install old Sound Blaster?
49 REPLIES 49

Same issue here as well, really low mic sound levels, nothing works. Can't believe anyone from Asus didn't even reply to this thread, let alone fixing this.

mattzildjian
Level 7
if anybody here is using a z97 board and has this issue, can you please post to this thread:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55304-AUDIO-Microphone-volume-very-low-boost-causes-hiss-st...

Deepcuts
Level 10
Bought a USB headphone with mic. Works very well.
It seems Asus made a mistake with this "audiophile" stuff. it is worse than the soundcard on my ancient Intel@133 Mhz.
Would love some response from Asus. Guess will wait a couple of decades.

magereaper
Level 7
Bump.

Is this a 2 year thread already?

Specs:

Clean installed win 8.1 fully updated
i7 4770K
Formula VII

I performed a clean install on a gigabyte mobo. Mic works perfectly on front and rear.

What the hell, asus.

ACW
Level 7
Same problem here as OP. very low and with noise.

Clean installed 8.1
I7 5960X
Rampage V Extreme

Same problem on my Maximus VIII Gene. Please help.

Same problem here, static hum even with +0dB boost.

System spec:
Win 7 Ult 64bit
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Intel i7 4770K@3.9GHz
G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400
Corsair CX500M PSU
Asus Strix GTX970
be quiet! Silent Base 800 window
5.1 Logitec speaker system
GE 1kW UPS
power bar with built-in surge protection

Tried with many MONO and STEREO electret microphones.
Tried with Windows and Realtek drivers.
Tried in rear and front port (even disconnecting the front cable from the mobo).
Tried separate input settings.
Tried on different sampling settings.

Now, I've tried to use stereo headphones as microphone, and the static hum disappeared.
Maybe it has something to do with too high input impedance.

The only thing left to check is to swap the power supply. But I can't believe that Asus didn't make correct supply filtering.
Maybe will try to make external amplifier or put a cap and resistor. But due that the new mobos come with STEREO input (?) it might be useless...
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/computer_microphone.php

ASUS PLEASE MAKE ANY COMMENT!

Bahz
Level 12
I passed this over to our motherboard team and I'll update you guys once I get a reply from them.

Bahz wrote:
I passed this over to our motherboard team and I'll update you guys once I get a reply from them.

Thank you very much Bahz, I really appreciate your interest.

I'm posting here the spectral histograms for front and rear inputs.
Made with mono electret microphone with 1m long cable.
At 0, +10, +20, +30dB boost and 100% volume with all sound effect disabled.
For this proposal I've set 96kHz/24bit sampling, but it occurs at any setting.

Front:

Rear:

Hope you can help me with this problem.

This is redicilus issue with my hero vii i got it only 1 time working seems sonic studo dosent work with mic at all i got it 1 time working only so long i use onboard.
even with latest sonic studio 2 or previous its not fuction noise reduction have no effect i use TS and TS do it automaticly but to make game videos is bad.
Dont come tell me that i have something wrong but they not got it work many years is mysterious. even new drivers is no go and it did work only 1 time. Its kind improvement before i throw it to toilet and buy sb z
Since listening music and and play games is really good but S studio options not function with mic is long isssue way back i have 2 same boards both have same issue with mic i hope they some day fix it.