cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic issues - Still no fix?

Serial77
Level 7
A perfectly working microphone sounds really low and with a lot of noise on a clean win 7 64 bit install using the latest drivers provided by Asus for the Maximus VI Hero (Realtek_Audio_Win7-8_8-1_VER6017023)

Nothing has been overlooked (volume levels, boosts, noise canceling...)

No known software settings alter this behavior (many tricks out there, none work).

Uninstalling drivers and using windows generic does not solve the issue.

Drivers seem bugged as they don't overwrite some windows settings (view youtube link below)

You can find many posts online where people seem to be confusing the error with the typical problems of a muted mic, boost not enabled, etc... and end up concluding that the problem is in the mic itself. Well, it's not. My mic works fine on my laptop and on my wife's desktop.

All this fuzz about such a great Audio device on-board and the drivers are the messiest thing I've seen in years, hard to believe this is actually shipped like this. Also something tells me devs themselves have issues as I noticed in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=mLc_hGbqOt4

So what's the deal here? Disable in bios and install old Sound Blaster?
49 REPLIES 49

Buy the Asus Xonar DX PCI-e card and dump the on-board audio chipset. It's garbage anyway.

Ominous_Penguin
Level 7
That's nearly half the price of the motherboard! I'd rather get what I paid for.

Once I've finished my current project I'll RMA it.

brutalusmaximus
Level 7
Same issue, if you find a solution please update this thread asap. Out of interest, what kind of microphone do you have? Is it a 3,5 mm or a USB with an external soundcard?
I'm thinking of buying a USB one with an external soundcard to try and fix this issue.
Best regards.

Deepcuts
Level 10
I guess you have bumped the mic boost all the way up and still nothing?

haiddasalami
Level 7
Really disappointed with the on-board for this mobo. Been a fan of Asus in general but really dropped the ball here. Drivers from Realtek are terrible so have to use Windows drivers but then mic is too low. Sigh. Might just look into a sound card and be done with it.

Deepcuts
Level 10
Do not be disappointed yet. A solution will come up.
I have the Hero board and while using TS3 last night I had no problem with my mic, at half the volume and without any mic boost.
I am using the drivers from Asus site and not from Realtek.

Freezy
Level 7
I had really low volume on front mic (HD Audio front panel)
moved the mic to the back and now it is loud enough (still needs +30 DB boost)
Now my headset uses the speaker icon and my speakers got a headset icon, but at least the levels are good.

This might be more of a problem if you use more elaborate speaker setup, but for me this works for now.

With all those adjustable voltage regulators, perhaps ASUS could give onboard sound card specifically the mics a bit more? 😉

Also try playing around with the frequency of the audio quality setting, some settings made the recording volume way lower.

Ominous_Penguin
Level 7
Sure I can turn up the Mic Boost but that just amplifies the whole signal including the white noise.
The voice is only marginally louder than the white noise - if I turn the boost up that doesn't change, the whole signal gets amplified.

I've plugged the mic into my mothers 4 year old MSI mid range laptop (with no boost and all 'enhancements' turned off) and recorded using windows sound recorder. The signal is clear and the noise is minimal as expected.

BUMP! I have to uninstall Realtek drivers and leave windows drivers to have a decent microphone volume.And guess what,i want to record audio ASAP and not only use TS3 or skype and this issue has started to frustrate me.It's def a driver issue and some fix or new drivers must get released

NikosG
Level 7
bump