cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEI failed to start on Z97-Deluxe (NFC & WLC) on Win 10

danissimo
Level 8
Hello,
recently Win 10 (Pro x64 1909 18363.836) updated my MEI drivers (to 11.7.0.1045). And since then the device cannot start (status_device_power_failure). I reflashed my BIOS (to the same, latest available version, 3503), updated MEI driver to 11.7.0.1057, uninstalled (with driver removing) and reinstalled the device several times. Nothing helped. There was a couple of times when the device started successfully, but after a system restart it failed to start again.
I used the info tool (MEInfo) to get the status and these values are different from normal ones: CurrentState: Recovery; InitComplete: Initializing.
What could be the problem and how to fix it?
12 REPLIES 12

MoKiChU
Level 40

danissimo
Level 8
Thank you, but I've got an error:
"Error 8193: Intel (R) ME Interface : Cannot locate ME device driver".

The device now has the 11.7.0.1057 driver and "status_device_power_failure" (yellow triangle).

MoKiChU
Level 40
Try this :

- If you already had Intel(R) Management Engine Components displayed in your apps installed : Uninstall it (Start > Settings > Apps) then restart your PC.
- In your Device Manager > System devices : Right click on Intel(R) Management Engine Interface > Uninstall device (tick the box to delete the driver if it is there).
- Launch Driver Store Explorer > Check the boxes of all versions of heci.inf drivers (if you find them) > Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Package" button then restart your PC.
- Install Intel MEI Drivers (Drivers Only) v11.7.0.1057 WHQL from this thread : [DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/Ethernet/MEI/SATA (6x/7x/8x/9x)

MoKiChU wrote:
Try this :

- If you already had Intel(R) Management Engine Components displayed in your apps installed : Uninstall it (Start > Settings > Apps) then restart your PC.
- In your Device Manager > System devices : Right click on Intel(R) Management Engine Interface > Uninstall device (tick the box to delete the driver if it is there).
- Launch Driver Store Explorer > Check the boxes of all versions of heci.inf drivers (if you find them) > Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Package" button then restart your PC.
- Install Intel MEI Drivers (Drivers Only) v11.7.0.1057 WHQL from this thread : [DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/Ethernet/MEI/SATA (6x/7x/8x/9x)

Hey MoKiChU

I'm running into the same issue as danissimo and have been experiencing ~2 min boot times for the last 4 years on a SSD. I just decided to try debugging it again and came across this thread on almost the same motherboard (Im on Z97-A). I never realized my IMEI was an issue until this thread but when checking device manager I saw This device cannot start. (Code 10) STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE.

After following the steps you laid out here you actually fixed the issue! Sadly it only fixed the device for exactly 30 seconds after the first boot, but that first boot where IMEI is functioning my boot time was 20 seconds! I can't tell you how much hope that gave me, and I tried installing and reinstalling 20 different times/ways in hopes that one would stick however the device always reverted back to the original error message 30 seconds after boot. I'm not sure if i'm supposed to start a new thread for this and can if need be but I feel this thread is so close to my issue to not reply here. Im running the latest bios and have updated all the drivers/utilities from the Asus page for my motherboard.

Below are the steps I took, if you have any suggestions whatsoever I would be eternally grateful.

Downloaded your Intel ME Firmware 9.1.40.1000 [13/02/2017]
Downloaded your Intel MEI Drivers (Drivers Only) 11.7.0.1057
Tried running Check.cmd & Install.cmd in Intel ME Firmware which returned:
Error 8193: Intel (R) ME Interface : Cannot locate ME device driver
Uninstalled Intel Management Engine Components and restarted
Uninstalled and deleted the IMEI Drivers
Ran Driver Store Explorer but didnt find any heci.inf drivers
Installed your IMEI (drivers only) - The operation completed successfully
Rebooted - 20 second boot time
In the 30s window where device manager said This device is working properly I attempted to run your ME Firmware check and install but it still gave me the same error as above.

Do you have any ideas as to why it only functions on the first boot after and only for the first 30 seconds?
Thank you!!

Hi Rilley,

I have exactly same issue with my Z97a last bios.
Did you find a solution ?
Thanks

Henry

I am also having the exact same issue on a Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) board. I followed all the steps you provided for danissimo. Unfortunately, I could not get the process to work, and much like Riley17 and Henrymaer, I'm still having the issue.

danissimo
Level 8
I've successfully flashed ME with the new fw 9.1.40.1000. Thank you!
I uninstalled the device (removing the driver), checked through Driver Store Explorer (there was none), in addition I disabled the network (for Windows not to download 11.7.0.1045 driver), and restarted the system. This time ME started successfully, I installed the 11.7.0.1057 driver and was able to update the fw.

danissimo wrote:
I uninstalled the device (removing the driver), checked through Driver Store Explorer (there was none), in addition I disabled the network (for Windows not to download 11.7.0.1045 driver), and restarted the system. This time ME started successfully, I installed the 11.7.0.1057 driver and was able to update the fw.

Well 😉

You can also take the opportunity to update your others Intel drivers (Chipset/Ethernet/SATA) via this same thread ([DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/Ethernet/MEI/SATA (6x/7x/8x/9x)) and update your audio drivers :

You need Realtek HD Audio Drivers (HDA - ASUS ROG/PRIME/TUF DTS&RTK) from my HDA drivers thread.

Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process with cleanup step, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Note (in order to choose correctly the install/update process to use) : You have a ASUS PRIME RTK motherboard.

MoKiChU
Level 40
danissimo wrote:

Well 😉

You can also take the opportunity to update your :

- Others Intel drivers (Chipset/Ethernet/SATA) via this same thread ([DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/Ethernet/MEI/SATA (6x/7x/8x/9x))
- ASMedia SATA drivers : [DRIVERS] ASMedia SATA
- Realtek Audio drivers : [DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (HDA | Intel 6x/7x/8x/9x/1xx)

You need Realtek HD Audio Drivers (HDA - ASUS ROG/PRIME/TUF DTS&RTK).

Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process with cleanup step, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Note (in order to choose correctly the install/update process to use) : You have a ASUS PRIME RTK motherboard.