cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxmius V gene DIED after Overclocking with CPU LEVEL UP in BIOS! SOS!

X-III
Level 7
Today, I finally got my board to overlock after identifying and removing the bad rams on it. But good times did not last long. Initially, I raised my CPU to 4.6GHZ with CPU LEVEL UP in bios , and remainig rams (8g) to 2133 using XMP profiles, which is its factory clock, the system booted up sucessfully. however, when i ran the windows experience index assessment for the second time, the system shutted down. i cleared CMOS and tried reboot. But all i get is two clicks persumably coming from my powersupply. all effort to get it to post up failed so far!

The only lights that are on are the start and reset buttons. when i click start, i only hear two clicks, and no device_led lights on. I even tried to press the GO button, then my GO_LED starts to flash. Reinserting the battery on the motherboard also failed. :mad:
Please help me !

System spec,
Silverstone FT03
Maximus V
GTX670
2 X 4 Kingston HyperX 2133MHZ
Corsair AX650
7 REPLIES 7

lenehan
Level 10
Remove all ram, video card, remove battery from your board about 3 mins and put in back. CLRm CMOS one more time. Put back the video card and only one slot of ram. Now power up see it bootable. Cheers.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Zka17
Level 16
Exactly! And next time when you're trying to OC, don't start it with the max settings... but definitely don't do it with that Level Up thing!

Just for your knowledge, X-III, 2133MHz on the memories is an OC! The factory clock is only 1600MHZ... - what happened is that you pushed too hard suddenly... If you're going step by step, i.e. doing a manual OC, then you can find a nice spot for both of your CPU and RAM...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Profiles and pre-sets are not the best solution.

Reading the very good guides for the motherboards that can be found as sticky in the specific motherboard sub-sections here on ROG and trying things slowly and safely is the best way. Honestly the amount you learn by working through the guides in your own time far out ways any outcome. I constantly suggest that folks should enjoy the over clocking journey far more than the outcome.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

hey guys thanks for the reply,

unfortunately, even after trying the steps recommended, the computer failed to post.
Now i am wondering if this sort of thing is covered in the warrenty since i only used the preset profile, and the motherboard should have a safety feature preventing this right?

HiVizMan wrote:
I constantly suggest that folks should enjoy the over clocking journey far more than the outcome.

May I add a warning here... OC'ing is addictive! 😄

HiVizMan
Level 40
RMA the board if it is not working.

They will test it and if they get it working you will be returned a working board. Win.

If it is not working you will be sent a working board. Win

Let us know how it goes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

RazorCat
Level 10
^ yeah it is addicting...

@ topic: You should start with little overclocks.. then little increments.. don't push it that high...
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H