cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS VII Ranger Stuck in Restart Loop

Kyudos
Level 7
Yes my system is old, but it hasn't been any trouble at all until last week.

Last time I used it, Windows wanted to do an update, so as I have countless times I chose "Update and shutdown" and left it to get on.

When I came to restart the next day - stuck in a loop, never even getting to BIOS. Error code '00', at least at the point of restart.

I've tried:

• Updating the BIOS using Flashback
  • Disconnecting all drives
  • Removing the GPU
  • Re-seating / swapping the memory sticks around
  • Trying each memory stick individually
  • Removing and checking the CMOS battery (still at > 3V)
  • Resetting the CMOS with the button

At present, there are no drives connected, no GPU. I'm using the on board HDMI to connect the monitor.
Still the same restart - 2-3 secs of power - shut-down - restart loop.

What could / should I try next?
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
I wouldn't think it could flash if it was a bad bios chip.

I came across something that might help you get to post or at least to the repair screen.

https://appuals.com/windows-stuck-in-a-restart-loop/

I have confirmed with a PSU tester and a spare PSU that the power supply is not the issue.

I can't see anything obviously burned out / shorted / broken on board components and don't have the spares to fully eliminate the CPU and memory.

Although now, (I checked again), I can fully remove the memory and the MoBo doesn't even notice - POST is not getting far enough to even
detect no memory. I'm guessing it must be a broken actual component on the board.

At this stage I think new gear in some form is required. The question is can I make a decent machine with a new Mobo and maybe a new GPU?
Or should I go the whole hog and just get a new machine?

I'm at that point too @Kyudos. I believe there is something broken on the board, and will require a new one.

I am also wondering if it's worth going a whole new mobo and CPU, though going new would also mean new RAM, etc.

My question still remains regarding the RAID setup. Can I move my RAID drives to a new motherboard, or does it have to be the same mobo? can I split the mirrored drive so I can move to a new mobo and re-do the RAID later???

Kyudos, For your question regarding replacing like for like or going new system, that is very personal to your own circumstances and budget. You can look at a new motherboard, but you will definitely need new CPU and RAM, as the tech has moved so much since this mobo was released, and the only things you can move over would be the GPU, Hard/SSD Drives and PSU if it is still powerful enough... Though you probably would get more life out of the system. Going like for like or the same mobo, you will run into availability issues, and sourcing one, as they are relatively old now.

I will personally probably look at replacing with the same mobo (depending on RAID advice) if I can source one, as I have already replaced CPU (4790K) and PSU and not really keen to buy another new CPU, MOBO and RAM.

Just my thoughts...

But please, can someone please let me know about the RAID situation. Thankyou.

Just a little update.

I finally found another Maximus VII Ranger board, and fitted it in. After adjusting the BIOS to what I needed, windows booted and has been running solid for about 4 hours straight without a hiccup (I was lucky to get an hour with the old board.)

There is definitely something wrong with the motherboard itself, my guess is the VRM's considering how fatal the crash was. Considering its age, it has done a respectable job.

For the RAID, I did find some info on the intel website, and as long as I told BIOS it was RAID, it was detected. So, it was all good there. I will either need to split the Drives (also something the intel site said can be done without loss of data despite the warning), if I want to Re-RAID not on intel, or make sure if I get a new board to get the intel RAID controllers again.

So, if anyone is having the issues from the OP or myself noted in the first posts, I think it is safe to say the board is dead, and to look at getting a new one.
I will likely keep this until it starts playing up again, then look at upgrading, but for now, I am up and running.

@Kyudos, I hope you found a solution for yours.
@Nate152, thanks for helping where you could.

Cheers