cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Ranger: no DisplayPort output until Windows boots, how to fix?

Natanji
Level 7
Hi there,
I've recently gotten a new screen that has a display port connector. At first I thought it was broken because it would not output anything for the first half minute after boot; however, once Windows 10 starts up the monitor works fine.

So I figured out that the monitor does not output the BIOS messages to the DisplayPort monitor, it only does so via the HDMI (I have a Geforce GTX 970). That kinda sucks because I cannot access the BIOS, see the messages for e.g. boot medium selection etc. without connecting a different screen via the HDMI output.

Is there a way to set up the BIOS such that it is displayed via the DP output? Since you cannot configure a graphics card, I figured my best bet would be to find some BIOS setting that allows this...

Best regards,
Natanji
2 REPLIES 2

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Have you tried clearing the bios and reseating the card? Is the board running the latest bios version? The monitor should default to the connector with the monitor attached unless you have multiple monitors and then it will start with the lowest connector and work its way upward to the dp which is last in the chain.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932