cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS VII IMPACT has locked CPU ratio at 8x

thesabreslicer
Level 7
I swear, I've tried everything. I just changed my case and motherboard (from a Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO to a MAXIMUS VII IMPACT), and after a clean reinstall of Windows 10 (which I was running before), the CPU is locked at 8x multiplier so it only runs at 800 Mhz (it is a 4690k). I've run mutliple stress tests, and the CPU goes to 100% but at 800Mhz.

I've reset CMOS, BIOS settings, tried downgrading the BIOS to older versions, but nothing gives at this point and I am ready to give up.

Full system specs:
4690k + Corsair H100i GTX
16GB 1866Mhz Corsair Dominator
Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT
Crucial 256GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB
Corsair 250D

Anyone?
5 REPLIES 5

Extro
Level 7
Just a brainstorming:

The bios version is the proper one? (As fart as I know there was a BIOS update where the Devil's Canyon support has been improved)

I'm also curious to see the root cause, because it really uniq case

Extro wrote:
Just a brainstorming:

The bios version is the proper one? (As fart as I know there was a BIOS update where the Devil's Canyon support has been improved)

I'm also curious to see the root cause, because it really uniq case

Yes, BIOS is latest. I'm also going to try flashing back to older versions.

i believe your cpu think it's overheating and therefore goes in throttle mode, try the throttlestop application to disable BD_PROCHOT .
that's what worked for me , same problem as yours.

(i'm on bios 2401 , i wonder if that thing is fixed in later bios like 2801)

Rossbunt35
Level 7
I am having a similar problem, upgraded to windows 10 and my 4690k which was overclocked to 4.2Ghz is now pinned at 4.2 Ghz, as in when idleing at the desktop it is still running at 4.2 GHZ. tried removing the overclock and putting it back to default settings but now it it just pinned at 3.9GHZ. My system consists of a Maximus vii Ranger, intel 4690k, 8GB corsair vengeance pro ram (1600mhz) and a GTX 970.

Rossbunt35
Level 7
So a quick update, I managed to solve my problem just now. turns out when I auto-configured my SSD (Samsung 850 evo) as a boot drive it created a new power plan in windows 10 which pinned my cpu at maximum clock. Could your system possibly be on a power saving profile in windows 10?