cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero voltage control help required

sherriffjb
Level 8
So Im used to overclocking with x58 - that's the last time I upgraded prior to this.

The Bios and voltages are getting on my wick

There seems to be some inherent LLC even when I - as far as I can tell- have it turned off in the bios, I want to set my voltages at 1.31v for 4.8 on a 4790K

If i use manual it ends up closer to 1.33 and Offset and Adaptive are messing with my mind.

When I set an amount of offset and turbo voltage which equals 1.31v the cpu has drawn 1.4 and on one startling occasion nearly 1.5v before I pulled the plug (literally and very quickly) so i think I must be doing something wrong.

Offset yields better results through more predictable voltages but still will not give me any fine control and when i set the voltages at anywhere between 1.295-1.31v the board without fail pulls 1.328

I am finding it impossible to set up any kind of precision voltage control, am I doomed to have to run at 1.328, when all i need is 1.31? Is it me missing something glaring obvious or have I been stripped of that kind of fine control that I want with this board?

Advice, correction and everything else are requested and welcomed.
44 REPLIES 44

xCaptKirk
Level 7
Heat Issues really they weren't extreme but somewhat high. I could get 4.8 with 1.25 vcore and it was stable but was quite warm.

same here. coming from a sandy bridge that never went over 60c Intel really screwed us over starting with ivy bridge and never reverted to soldering. I wonder if anyone has delidded there 4790 or if is even possible with this cpu? I was also watching a video on lapping and that looked tempting.....
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.

digmeahole1 wrote:
same here. coming from a sandy bridge that never went over 60c Intel really screwed us over starting with ivy bridge and never reverted to soldering. I wonder if anyone has delidded there 4790 or if is even possible with this cpu? I was also watching a video on lapping and that looked tempting.....

To be honest I would (and do) prefer a custom loop over physically modding the cpu.

Even if i let the chip free (4790k) and let it feed itself the overvoltage it seems to want -1.382-1.35- it has never once come close to 70c even with a whisper quiet fan profile.

I know people can delid and I have toyed delidding my 3770k (which is in a different rig) because it was in a small case and it looked like a chore to fit a cpu and gpu loop into it (prodigy is not a big case) in the end I did the loop and to me it was worth way more than running the risk of delidding and the hassle of lapping, temps are great.

xCaptKirk
Level 7
I've seen it done with "liquid metal" not sure how safe it is to try. I believe as the die shrinks happen the temps will be on the rise.

sherriffjb
Level 8
Thanks for the replies guys been away, let me get upto speed