cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero not detecting graphics card

Gloostik
Level 7
I Just got a Maximus VII Hero and everything is working fine except it wont detect my graphics card, it will only show video through the integrated graphics on the board. Ive tried disabling the on-board graphics, setting the graphics to only the PCI-Express slots, clearing CMOS multiple times, switching slots, booting with 1, 2, and no graphics cards with no luck. Ive been searching google for days but none of the suggestions have worked so far. Is there something i havent tried or did i get a faulty board?

(full pc specs on my profile)
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello Gloostik

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Have you connected the pcie power cables to your gpu's?

Thank you for the welcome, glad to be here! Yes, everything is connected and the logo on them light up when the computer turns on. If I turn the computer on with the hdmi cable plugged into the gpu then I get no signal on the monitor and if i switch it to integrated graphics with the computer still on I still get a no signal message from the monitor but if I have the hdmi in the mobo hdmi port and restart then the computer boots and posts just fine.

Nate152
There's nothing special you need to do, install the 280x in the first pcie slot, connect the pcie power cables, connect the monitor cable and you should be good to go.

Clear the cmos.

Try with just one 280x in the first pcie slot, connect the pcie power cables but let the hdmi cable connected to the motherboard. Boot to the bios and on the extreme tweaker tab go to GPU Dimm post, is it showing your 280x in there?

It does not appear to be there as it says N/A next to both slots

Nate152
Ok that is not a good sign and could point to a faulty 280x, try your other 280x and see if it is recognized.

Gloostik
Level 7
It didn't recognize the other one either

Nate152
All right

I would like you to double check that you have both the 6 pin and 8 pin pcie power cables connected to your 280x.

Set the primary display to auto in the bios please.

Gloostik
Level 7
it has slots for 2 8 pin power connectors and both are properly seated. I have used both of these cards in my previous build from last week so i know they both work.

Nate152