cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII hero and M.2 SSD usage = only one PCIE slot active???

NINJAMC
Level 7
Hello,

This is an inquiry before buying.

Reading the Maximus VII manual on page 1-26 there is a PCIE operating mode table.

I am not sure I understand correctly but it seems to say that if I want to use a M.2 SSD on the mobo then I will have only the bottom PCIE slot that will work (and only at X2 speed) and all other PCIE slots on the cards will be unactive?

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
5 REPLIES 5

Sparax
Level 9
Yes that's correct with the M.2 Mode Enabled PCIEX4_3 will run at x2 and PCIEX1_1, PCIEX1_2 & PCIEX1_3 will be disabled.
The PCIE_X16/X8_1 & PCIE_X8_2 will be unaffected

Thanks for your answer.

Ok so to rephrase all the "longs" pcie slots will work but all the "shorts" Pcie slots will be disabled if I use a M.2 SSD ?

Follow up question : 3 PCIE X1 extension ports disabled seems to be a high price to pay for using a M.2 SSD. Appart from the fact that you are using one less sata and sata power connectors compared to a "regular" SSD, what is the advantage of using an M.2 SSD then?

Sorry if that follow up question is a bit outside the scope of this forum.

Regards.

Tokens210
Level 10
As far as I've known and seen there is no advantage except one less sata port, but that's not really an advantage since current boards have been upping the sata ports available

JJ from Asus even says it in one of his videos, that m.2 and even the Asus Raidr are pointless during current times cause you'll get identical or even better speeds just using an ssd or 2 ssds in raid

He did go on to say soon enough tho they be able to make them faster and better in which case they would gain something but some of the recent stuff is mostly just for ppl who want bragging rights lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Well, I was hoping that, at least, the transfert speeds of a M.2 SSD would be superior to a regular sata SSD.

With this information it seems that using a M.2 in a desktop doesn't make much sense then.

Or maybe using one on a PCIE adapter if you can boot from it?

NINJA

Backfire1
Level 7
If you are buying a motherboard to utilize M.2 the Hero is not the board for you. Do a little more research and you will see that ASROCK Z97 Extreme6 is a more capable board. There are several sizes and transfer file types( PCIe x2 & Sata express) of M.2 devices. Hero limits you to a 1 file type and only a couple of sizes. The problem with M.2 is it is new to the desktop and their is not an industry standard yet. Dollar for dollar today I think the SSD is the way to go but give it some time and the M.2 will probably be the way of the future. Good luck