cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Gene POSTing but cannot detect monitor using onboard GPU

cloudburst
Level 7
Hello,

I recently bought a Maximus VII Gene with Intel i5 4690 CPU. The system can POST and works when a graphics card (GTX 760) is plugged in the system (system can get to the Windows 7 OS).

The issue however is when I remove the GPU (to troubleshoot some random system freezes), the motherboard can no longer detect the monitor. The QCode just cycles from 00 to A2 to AE and back again.

I have already adjusted the BIOS Graphics Configuration to force the primary display to be from the CPU Graphics.

My BIOS is already the most recent one. I am using HDMI to connect to the Samsung monitor.

Any thoughts on this issue?
8 REPLIES 8

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I would download and run the intel processor diagnostic utility and make sure that your onboard is seen as okay. If a problem exists with the cpu the utility twill pick it up.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

hello @Puffnstuff, thank you for replying, I have downloaded the Intel Processor Diagnostic Utility and it requires me to restart and replug my monitor to the Integrated Graphics port (to properly diagnose the Integrated Graphics) which i cannot do since once i restart, all i can see is the BIOS and not much else.

Also, i tried downloading the latest driver for the Onboard Graphics and when i try to install it (while plugged in to my NVDIA 760) i get the error "This computed does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".

Any more thoughts?
I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

cloudburst
Level 7
Hello,

Another update, i checked if the processor really does contain an integrated graphics but i got conflicting results from the intel website.

http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/product/components/intel-core-i5-4690-processor-6m-cache-up-to-390-gh...
http://ark.intel.com/products/80810

The Intel ARK says there is, the main shop page says otherwise. Any more thoughts?

Burner27
Level 7
Did you enable GPU Multi-monitor support? By default it is disabled. It's in the same place where you enable primary GPU.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
By chance did you accidentally turn off onboard graphics? You cannot install the driver with the onboard gpu deactivated. It will not hurt to have it on all the time. I run it turned on just in case I should need to switch over and yes it has to be on before the intel diagnostic software can test it however you don't have to be plugged into it for the diagnostic to check it.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

cloudburst
Level 7
I turned the BIOS setting to manual Integrated Graphics setting (instead of AUTO) and also set the GPU Multi-monitor support to Enabled. (How do i turn on the onboard graphics? is it done in the BIOS or OS?)
I need to correct something on my original post though, I wasnt able to install the Onboard Graphics driver from the onset and I got the error "This computed does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".

Could it be that my CPU is broken? Or is it my motherboard?

Thank you for the replies.

Nate152
If it's set to auto it should detect igpu or pcie automatically whichever you connect. You can also set it to igpu in the bios on the advanced tab, system agent configuration.

Nate152
hello cloudburst

You turn igpu on in the bios and it looks like you've done that.

If it were me, I might not be too concerned about it, when you install your pcie card you will be setting it to pcie anyway. If all is well after that, there really is no problem.

You could try another HDMI cable to see if that works.