cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Multi GPU & SSD Caching

capitansid
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

I got some queries and concerns with my current build. Lets start with what I have right now.
Apologies in advance if I have posted on the wrong Forum :confused:

Mobo : Maximus VI Formula
CPU : Intel i7-4770k
RAM : 16GB (2x8) Gskill Trident X - 2400Mhz (XMP enabled)
GPU : Asus GTX 760 DCU2 2GB OC (plugged in on 1st PCI-e x16 slot)
SSD (BOOT DRIVE) : ROG RaidR Express (plugged in on 3rd PCI-e x16 slot)
PSU : Corsair RM1000

Everything is currently running stock as I haven't gone around to water cooling it.

So here's my queries:

1. I read somewhere that you cannot run SLI anymore if you have a non graphics card occupying the third x16 slot (in my case, an SSD) but you can still run Crossfire.. Is this proven to be 100% true? If that is so, then should I be ok if I run two R9 290X's on Crossfire (1st & 2nd slot) and still keep the Raidr on the 3rd slot?

2. I also plan on populating the NGFF slot with maybe a 64gb NGFF card and use it as an SSD cache for a SATA3 HDD.. Is this even possible? Shall I plug the HDD on the Asmedia or the Intel controller? and would this not conflict with the GPU + SSD since the NGFF also uses PCI-e lanes?

Thanks in advance for your clarifications! 😉
2 REPLIES 2

jab383
Level 13
The 4770K has only 16 lanes of PCIE3 available. When anything is plugged into the 3rd PCIE3 slot, these 16 lanes are split among the slots x8/x4/x4. SLI needs x8 per slot minimum, so what you read is correct -- anything in that third slot, graphics or not, precludes SLI.

The ngff slot uses PCIE2 lanes from the z87 and will not conflict with the GPU. Look among the ROG guides for recent write-ups on ngff cards -- size, keying etc to fit ROG cards.

Jeff

Thanks!

Yes, I am already aware of the physical dimensions of NGFF that I must consider for it to fit and work properly..

As for my last query, any ideas if setting the NGFF as an SSD cache for a Sata3 HDD would work like a charm? or is it useless and it would be better if I use a common Sata3 SSD as my Cache?