cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Impact video lag / choppy

celf1
Level 7
Just finished building my HTPC for the living room with the following specification:

• Asus Maximus VI Impact MB
  • Intel i7 4770k processor
  • GeForce GTX 760 Graphics card
  • Corsair 750W PSU
  • 16GB RAM

It plays all the games I throw at it without any issues, but it seems to struggle with videos (local files, Blu-rays or on-line content). The sound is OK, but the video is choppy and Blu-rays unwatchable. I have changed the 'Power Options' to run the High performance plan, installed all the latest drivers including flashing the BIOS. I have also removed the dedicated graphics card and tried the on board HDMI but without any change to the video quality.

Any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

I have completed the reinstall of Windows on my machine (format hdd, install windows and updates) but unfortunately the problem persists. Is there a way I can test the motherboard? Memtest didn't show any errors with my RAM.

Tokens210
Level 10
Nice lol it sucks to have to do it but in was going to say the only way I've ever been able to fully remove codecs if they were installed was a reinstall of the OS

Once installed just be sure you have
1. Latest drivers for graphics whether your using built in or dedicated
2. Shouldn't matter but I usually make sure I have the latest flash player and java
3. Install VLC depending on ur windows setup, 32 bit or 64 bit

That's all that you should need and videos should play fine
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Tokens210
Level 10
That's even stranger, there's gotta be something somewhere that's up

When using onboard the video is direct from the CPU internal graphics

When using a card the video comes from that

What type of file is it your trying to play?

Have you played with any setting on the TV?, I normally wouldn't think that's an issue but to me at least you shouldn't have the issue anymore

After a quick Google search it seems to be windows 8.1 problems
A few users said downgrading there Intel graphics to the previous version fixed it

Only strange thing was all them but one were using internal graphics so idk why it messes with a video card

Also its not just Asus boards, while trolling thru the many many forums on video lag in windows 8.1 I seen ppl with Asus, gigabyte and evga boards all having the issue with 8.1, most of them had 8 and it worked fine but once they go to 8.1 it becomes choppy, they go back to 8 and it plays fine again

The whole issue seems to be on Microsoft but they denied it

Some ppl went from 8.1 back to 8 and it fixed it
Some downgraded there graphics driver to a 9 version and said it fixed it
Some deleted there internal graphics and allowed windows to install the newest on reboot and they said it fixed it
Some said removing flash and java fixed it
Some said turning off vsync fixed it

Lol its literally apparently a wildly growing issue with 8.1
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

celf1
Level 7
Thanks for the comments and the time you have spent researching!

Last night, I installed Ubuntu alongside Windows. Unfortunately the lagging problems persist while playing videos. Do you agree that this means it's a firmware / hardware issue? Seeing that the problem occurs with the dedicated graphics and on board, I guess it has to be motherboard or CPU? Having already flashed the bios, I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Thanks.

celf1
Level 7
I think I've found a solution to the problem. Changing my TV to 'Game' mode seems to reduce the choppy ness. It doesn't eradicate it fully, but now the movies are watchable 🙂
Thanks for help and suggestions!!