cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Impact - Discussion Thread

Raja
Level 13

Maximus VI Impact Overview

Over the past few years, ASUS have led the way for innovation on small form-factor motherboards. It was only a matter of time before the ROG team would take on a mini-ITX project and take things to a new level.

The ROG brand is synonymous with gaming and overclocking oriented feature sets. We wanted to make a mini-ITX motherboard that could be used as a fully-fledged gaming machine and provide an overclocking experience on-par with full sized ATX motherboards - without sacrificing desirable features. A tall order, because the mini-ITX form factor is limited to a lone full length PCIe slot, which any gamer will want to populate with a discrete GPU.

That means on-board audio has to be good, however, there’s a very limited amount of space on the PCB to implement the additional circuitry required to ensure high quality audio reproduction. The same goes for power delivery. Adequate current needs to be available, but limited PCB space means that the power delivery circuit will soon infringe on space required for other on-board components and leave little room for most aftermarket CPU coolers. That's without taking space for things like on-board WiFi, Bluetooth, mPCIE space and the number of fan headers into account - things that enthusiasts want or expect to find on a gaming or overclocking oriented motherboard. We needed to find ways around these constraints whilst meeting enthusiast requirements. After a lengthy development and tuning period, these challenges have been more than met. Take a gander at the Maximus VI Impact:

ROG Maximus VI Impact - the full gamut of ROG features within a mini-ITX footprint

There's a lot more the picture above doesn't show. From compatibility with a slew of aftermarket CPU coolers with backplates to a comprehensive software suite including Gamefirst II, Sonic Radar, SSD Secure Erase and the ability to passthrough audio in standby mode. We're not going to delve into the ins and outs of all of those features today, but we are going to show you how well this little board can overclock a CPU:

We'll kick off with a 12 hour stress test pass (more to follow):

4.6GHz DDR3-2400 16GB (2x8GB) 12 hours of AIDA passed

The power delivery daughter-board is an 8+2 phase solution, capable of pushing Haswell processors to maximum frequency without being a bottleneck. 4.6GHz watercooled is pretty easy. Higher frequencies fully loaded are possible with adequate cooling, too.

ETA in North America is mid~late August. We'll update with more specifics soon 🙂

239 REPLIES 239

Chino wrote:
MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Driver & Tools

Choose your OS, download the driver and install it.

Downloading it now. I hope it works. I will update this how it went.

AND IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. Have a very nice weekend!!

Impact wrote:
Downloading it now. I hope it works. I will update this how it went.

AND IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. Have a very nice weekend!!

Same to you, bud. Enjoy your system.

dstubbs
Level 7
Klipsch 2.1 thx

Gman257
Level 10
They suggest that you have your volume in your OS at 100% and control your volume of your Klipsch accordingly. If you do it the other way around, you'll always get that "pop" sound. I used to do this as well till recently. Hope that helps!
Silverstone RAVEN RV02B-EW
Intel 4770K
Maximus VI Impact-Motherboard
Corsair 240AIR
Kingston HyperBeast 2400Mhz 8GB-Menmory
Seasonic 1000w Platinum
Samsung PRO SSD 256GB x 2
Corsair SP2500
ASUS MARS GTX 760x2
ASUS VE258Q
PrecisionHD Cam.
CORSAIR K95 RGB
Corsair K65 RGB

dstubbs
Level 7
Ill try it when I get home, thanks for the tip. So I guess that means all the boards do this cant believe they didn't put a relay on the audio board to handle DC thump. Supreme FX ??????

sc0ut84
Level 7
Hi all,

I just built my Maximus VI Impact rig today and cannot seem to get the sound card installed.

I'm using the Asus provided Realtek sound driver, though everythime I want to open up volume control, it acts as if there is totally no sound card and then tries to troubleshoot; finding nothing.

Anyone having / had similar issues?

kambiank
Level 7
efravelasco wrote:
Hi everyone, im new on this forum as well with this board, i have a problem and maybe u can help me please. I tried to build the computer without a case, everything is plugged on, when i start it, it does not beep, is it obvious because no case? also, it DOES NOT SHOW any video signal, and im really worried because everything is well plugged if im not forgetting something.. it looks like this at the moment:

any help would be very nice, thank you

Sorry for the bad english, and sorry if there is something obvious i am forgetting. Thanks.

Skype me if someone could explain me what is not ok: efravelasco

try look at the error debug code in the mainboard and look at the the manual book..

RushPL
Level 7
The 60% fan limit should be possible to override ... why not provide another option to set up the limit manually. For a motherboard which allows so much tweaking that is UNTHINKABLE. I have a great fun which could work at 20% PWM and be quiet and instead I am forced to use a different fan. I cannot seem to get the fan control to work on Linux so control by OS is out of the question.

ArjenP
Level 7
Hello,

Can somebody tell me what the fastboot jumper on the motherboard actually does? Is it needed to get proper Windows 8 fastboot?

Thx,
Arjen

Skrillion
Level 7
Had my Maximus VI Impact board inside my new SIlverstone Raven RVZ01 for a month or so now. I will just say it's an absolute PAIN IN THE ASS to find a compatible CPU cooler with that size case.

I've tried the following:
Stock Intel (too hot of course)
Thermalright AXP-200 (too big for this case, )
Thermalright AXP-100 (arrives tomorrow, will update)
Antec 620 H20 AIO with a slim fan on the radiator (it all fit in there, but i wouldn't say it fits. a lot of excessive force on daughter card and "pressured" tubes)
Noctua L9i (my backup if the AXP-100 does not work)

If anyone has had any luck with anything else in a small form case like this please let me know. I'm starting to run out of ideas and im starting to think I got the wrong mobo for this build =(