cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Impact - Discussion Thread

Raja
Level 13

Maximus VI Impact Overview

Over the past few years, ASUS have led the way for innovation on small form-factor motherboards. It was only a matter of time before the ROG team would take on a mini-ITX project and take things to a new level.

The ROG brand is synonymous with gaming and overclocking oriented feature sets. We wanted to make a mini-ITX motherboard that could be used as a fully-fledged gaming machine and provide an overclocking experience on-par with full sized ATX motherboards - without sacrificing desirable features. A tall order, because the mini-ITX form factor is limited to a lone full length PCIe slot, which any gamer will want to populate with a discrete GPU.

That means on-board audio has to be good, however, there’s a very limited amount of space on the PCB to implement the additional circuitry required to ensure high quality audio reproduction. The same goes for power delivery. Adequate current needs to be available, but limited PCB space means that the power delivery circuit will soon infringe on space required for other on-board components and leave little room for most aftermarket CPU coolers. That's without taking space for things like on-board WiFi, Bluetooth, mPCIE space and the number of fan headers into account - things that enthusiasts want or expect to find on a gaming or overclocking oriented motherboard. We needed to find ways around these constraints whilst meeting enthusiast requirements. After a lengthy development and tuning period, these challenges have been more than met. Take a gander at the Maximus VI Impact:

ROG Maximus VI Impact - the full gamut of ROG features within a mini-ITX footprint

There's a lot more the picture above doesn't show. From compatibility with a slew of aftermarket CPU coolers with backplates to a comprehensive software suite including Gamefirst II, Sonic Radar, SSD Secure Erase and the ability to passthrough audio in standby mode. We're not going to delve into the ins and outs of all of those features today, but we are going to show you how well this little board can overclock a CPU:

We'll kick off with a 12 hour stress test pass (more to follow):

4.6GHz DDR3-2400 16GB (2x8GB) 12 hours of AIDA passed

The power delivery daughter-board is an 8+2 phase solution, capable of pushing Haswell processors to maximum frequency without being a bottleneck. 4.6GHz watercooled is pretty easy. Higher frequencies fully loaded are possible with adequate cooling, too.

ETA in North America is mid~late August. We'll update with more specifics soon 🙂

239 REPLIES 239

Hi guys i have a problem. Recently i built a pc, with the maximus impact motherboard. The pc is water cooled, and now after having zero issues, the pc shuts down or does randomly freeze, even in bios. what can be the problem?

Rammoshe wrote:
Hi guys i have a problem. Recently i built a pc, with the maximus impact motherboard. The pc is water cooled, and now after having zero issues, the pc shuts down or does randomly freeze, even in bios. what can be the problem?

Check for bent pins. I had a Gigabyte build doing that even in the bios, and it turned out one of the socket pins was bent. I fixed it with a little patience and luck and the computer stopped freezing/shutting down. Hope this helps,

Rammoshe wrote:

Check for bent pins. I had a Gigabyte build doing that even in the bios, and it turned out one of the socket pins was bent. I fixed it with a little patience and luck and the computer stopped freezing/shutting down. Hope this helps,

Mercury wrote:

I RMAed the board, I hope I dont have to pay for the testing because bent pins? I couldnt see any bent pins.. this is my first time with a socket 1150, So if i get it back without a repair, i have to watch for bent pins with magnifier glass?

Rammoshe wrote:

What kinda of water cooling are you using? I have the H80i which has a back plate that needs to be installed. One thing I noticed was that the screw pieces through the motherboard were loose still after I thought I had tighten it. Put the Waterblock and screwed on the twist caps seemed tight but there was still minimal contact. Find out that their are some plastic spacers I forgot to put on to balance the back plate to the bottom of the motherboard. The spacers are in the the Impact motherboard box. They're the translucent washers I was asking myself what they were for?

Mercury
Level 7
This might be a silly questions, but I would like clarification just in case.

I usually never bother installing realtek audio drivers on my build, but I am curious to try out the "SupremeFX" and so I want to install it.

Right now, I have Infinity IL10s hooked up to a Yamaha receiver via the Optical port on my Asus Maximus VI Impact. If I install the Realtek drivers for the SupremeFX card, do I have to plug my receiver into the SupremeFX daughter board's analog jack to get the benefits? I would prefer to continue using the digital optical port directly on the motherboard if so and not waste space/resources on Realtek.

Thanks in advance for any help with my question.

Impact
Level 7
Hello i got a problem with the wifi thing. I am sure its connected to my motherboard. I don't see anything about the wifi on windows 7. Is there a drive or something i need to download for the wifi to work ?

Impact
Level 7
No, where can i find it. Thanks.

Can you post a link or something?