cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Impact - Discussion Thread

Raja
Level 13

Maximus VI Impact Overview

Over the past few years, ASUS have led the way for innovation on small form-factor motherboards. It was only a matter of time before the ROG team would take on a mini-ITX project and take things to a new level.

The ROG brand is synonymous with gaming and overclocking oriented feature sets. We wanted to make a mini-ITX motherboard that could be used as a fully-fledged gaming machine and provide an overclocking experience on-par with full sized ATX motherboards - without sacrificing desirable features. A tall order, because the mini-ITX form factor is limited to a lone full length PCIe slot, which any gamer will want to populate with a discrete GPU.

That means on-board audio has to be good, however, there’s a very limited amount of space on the PCB to implement the additional circuitry required to ensure high quality audio reproduction. The same goes for power delivery. Adequate current needs to be available, but limited PCB space means that the power delivery circuit will soon infringe on space required for other on-board components and leave little room for most aftermarket CPU coolers. That's without taking space for things like on-board WiFi, Bluetooth, mPCIE space and the number of fan headers into account - things that enthusiasts want or expect to find on a gaming or overclocking oriented motherboard. We needed to find ways around these constraints whilst meeting enthusiast requirements. After a lengthy development and tuning period, these challenges have been more than met. Take a gander at the Maximus VI Impact:

ROG Maximus VI Impact - the full gamut of ROG features within a mini-ITX footprint

There's a lot more the picture above doesn't show. From compatibility with a slew of aftermarket CPU coolers with backplates to a comprehensive software suite including Gamefirst II, Sonic Radar, SSD Secure Erase and the ability to passthrough audio in standby mode. We're not going to delve into the ins and outs of all of those features today, but we are going to show you how well this little board can overclock a CPU:

We'll kick off with a 12 hour stress test pass (more to follow):

4.6GHz DDR3-2400 16GB (2x8GB) 12 hours of AIDA passed

The power delivery daughter-board is an 8+2 phase solution, capable of pushing Haswell processors to maximum frequency without being a bottleneck. 4.6GHz watercooled is pretty easy. Higher frequencies fully loaded are possible with adequate cooling, too.

ETA in North America is mid~late August. We'll update with more specifics soon 🙂

239 REPLIES 239

mr_mike wrote:
I'm mounting my Impact in a Fractal Design Node 304 and it seems like the I/O shield is too thick to get the mobo pushed back far enough for the case mounting screw holes to line up. The I/O shield has some fairly thick squishy foam padding stuck on it, and this seems to be the issue. Is this normal? Should I go ahead and push the mobo against the I/O shield padding and screw the board into place?

I have the same case and board. I know what you mean by the thickness of the I/o shield. Just use a little force and push it down against the I/o shield and then secure the board to the case. I messed around with this for a hour or so till I figured out the I/o shield was not fully extended into the punch-out on the case. Once installed it looks really cool and was a fun build. This is my 4th ROG based build, going all the back to the Blitz Formula with dual water cooled ATI 2900 Pros in crossfire.;)

Btw, question for anyone who has this case/MB combo, what cpu cooler are you using? I had originally got a Noctua NH L12 but it would not fit in any position I tried. So I'm returning it to Newegg. Was thinking about one of the Corsair Hydro units, but not sure which one is the best fit for my rig. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My Rig:
i7-4770 w/ TBD Cooler???
Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact
Fractal Design Node 304b
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB DDR3-2400
Silverstone ST65F-G 650W w/ short cable pack
Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB
WD 2TB Black

I cant comment on the Fractal Design Node case ... but the key difference between the Corsair Hydro coolers and Swiftechs units .. is that the hoses on the Corsairs start from the bottom of the radiators, while Swiftechs, start from the end. Meaning you've got to allow for extra space (+3cm) on the Swiftechs, and when your setting up in these small cases, that can make a real difference.

I went with Swiftech's as some reviews i've read have them rated to run 2-3c cooler then the hydro's when your running higher overclocks. Corsairs seem to cool 1-2c better at default or low overclocks ..

Im running impactfx with DT 880 250ohms and have difficulty driving these headsets. I dont know if theres something wrong i did or i dont know of but its just downright disappointing.

I did Front Panel (HD Audio in bios/ Select Headphones) & Rear Panel (2nd port Headphone) and its still low even at max level. They say LM4562 can drive upo to 600ohms.

ROG OldTimer wrote:

Btw, question for anyone who has this case/MB combo, what cpu cooler are you using? I had originally got a Noctua NH L12 but it would not fit in any position I tried. So I'm returning it to Newegg. Was thinking about one of the Corsair Hydro units, but not sure which one is the best fit for my rig. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the Noctua NH-U12S. I added the second fan for push/pull and it fits in the Node 304 just fine. An edge of one of the fans does just barely touch a RAM heat spreader (G.SKILL Trident X), but I'm not worried about it. I've used Noctua coolers before and for me there is no other choice - the cooling is fantastic, the fans are quiet, no liquid worries when I transport to LANs. I'm still working on the settings for overclocking my system (i5-4670k), but I'm not worried at all about CPU thermals.

Mike

mr_mike wrote:
I am using the Noctua NH-U12S. I added the second fan for push/pull and it fits in the Node 304 just fine. An edge of one of the fans does just barely touch a RAM heat spreader (G.SKILL Trident X), but I'm not worried about it. I've used Noctua coolers before and for me there is no other choice - the cooling is fantastic, the fans are quiet, no liquid worries when I transport to LANs. I'm still working on the settings for overclocking my system (i5-4670k), but I'm not worried at all about CPU thermals.

Mike

I've just built a similar system and I am I little concerned that the board isn't getting enough airflow. What motherboard temperatures are safe?

mr_mike wrote:
I'm mounting my Impact in a Fractal Design Node 304 and it seems like the I/O shield is too thick to get the mobo pushed back far enough for the case mounting screw holes to line up. The I/O shield has some fairly thick squishy foam padding stuck on it, and this seems to be the issue. Is this normal? Should I go ahead and push the mobo against the I/O shield padding and screw the board into place?
I installed it in Node 304 no problem. The trick is to line up the switches at the back with the holes in the IO shield - they stick out of the back by few mm so have to go through the IO shield. Other than that it mounted fine.

mr_mike wrote:

I had to push the mobo against at I/O sheild as well in my node 304. The pressure all came from the supreme fx card - if it wasn't installed there was no issue. It seemed like the I/O shield was designed without the supreme fx card in mind.

Groundhog Expert wrote:
And the Z77I, not that Ivy or Haswell really need such beefy VRMs anyway. But it's a nice touch.

That aside, can anyone else (preferably with experience with the current Xonar/Soundblaster cards) give feedback on the Impact's SupremeFX sound card? For me personally, that is the biggest selling point of this board, but the reviews in here seem very mixed and polarized.

The complaint about the lack of bass and a weak amp have me hesitating since I'm a total bass-head. I use Ultrasone 550 Pros (only 60 Ohm) but someone earlier said this card couldn't drive their 50 Ohm phones so I'm a little concerned.

I currently use an external FiiO dac+amp which is very clean and boomy, but doesn't offer the gaming features like virtualized surround for headphones etc. So how does the Impact's FX card compare to current discrete offerings from Creative and Asus?

Oh and @Raja, would it be possible to add a bass boost function to the drivers down the road?

I'm using Ultrasone Pro 900 (40 ohm) and the sound is crystal clear through through the front panel hd audio. My node 304 had the split pcb from the factory. You can use the eq to help color the sound otherwise it's flat. I've bumped up highs and lows with a slight lift in the midrange and get that big sound for gaming and electronic music. There's plenty of headroom at 40 ohms but I can't comment on your 60 ohm cans. For me, the supreme Fx card is just fine for my headphones and I have no desire for a dedicated soundcard.

hi all my fellow rogs
i would like to know if this motherboard have the spec for esata port multiplier since i want to run my vantex box that has 2 hard drive
any help will be appreciated

Just got rig together with M1 & 4670K & and there is something strange going on now.

I seem to get ridicilously high voltages for stock cpu which also makes the chip to run extremely hot. Vcore in normal apps/games is as high than 1.17v, on avx apps 1.27v which is just nuts. First i thought it had something to do with "Asus turbo mode" that is enabled on default and makes all cores to run at max turbo multiplier, but then tried setting cpu to intel specks manually that it would only get it 3.4ghz at 4 core load, but that didnt change the voltages at all, still getting then whopping 1.17v in normal & 1.27v in AVX apps. Also its not only vcore that is high, cpu cache voltage is also 1.150v on when i think it suppose to be 1.050v.

Things i tried so far:

- Reset to uefi defaults
- Clr cmos

Any ideas?

Whole rig is:

Maximus VI Impact
i5 4670K
Corsair H100i
2x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz ( atm running only at default 1333mhz 1.5v )
GTX 780 3GB
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
2x 1Tb WD blue HDD
Corsair AX850
Bitfenix Prodigy

-Joni

My new rig won't install windows 8.1. I receive BSOD with different error messages and an endless restart loop. It appears to be a ram compatibility issue. Does any one have any experience using the Impact with Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz memory. The PC is currently at my local shop being diagnosed but I wanted to know if anyone has had any issues before?

Thanks in advance.