cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero won't reboot correctly

grrlgeek42
Level 7
I recently (within the last 3-6 months) built myself a computer using the Maximus VI hero mobo. It works wonderfully for the most part but when I have a Windows update or othre reason to restart the computer it won't work. I can hold down power to shut it off or shut it down through the Windows menu and then push the button to power it back on, but reboot won't work. This isn't a HUGE issue as I only need it for updates, but it is rather annoying. I am going to reboot the cmos shortly and see if that helps, but I can't imagine it will since I only started "messing" with BIOS settings AFTER the problem started.

My parts list:
Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX
EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
CDRW-DVD rom

Running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Sorry if this is repeated, I just couldn't find exactly what was going on with mine. Thank you so much for any help.
5 REPLIES 5

Corsair_Riker
Level 10
grrlgeek42 wrote:
... when I have a Windows update or other reason to restart the computer it won't work. I can hold down power to shut it off or shut it down through the Windows menu and then push the button to power it back on, but reboot won't work...

Just to clarify - does the issue also occur when do you restart within windows? i.e. could you reproduce the issue by simply doing the Windows 8.1 equivalent of Start -> Shutdown -> Restart (the restart method for Windows 7)?

If you can - could you do it with the case open so you can see the motherboard and what happens with the status code LED when it fails to restart this way?
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
HDD 1: Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
HDD 2: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
RAM: 16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
CASE: Fractal Design Define R4
OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer BDR-209DBK
MONITOR: Samsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
Other: MS Wired 600; Logitech MX 310; Sennheiser PC 151 & Logitech Z150

grrlgeek42
Level 7
Using the restart command in Windows 8.1 the post codes on the board were as follows:
30 - Right when I woke it up from "hibernation"
00 - after I restarted....hung there with a black screen for several minutes, no change to the code.
A0 - after finally pressing the power button until the computer turned off and then pressing it again to turn back on. After the flashes of numbers and letters for the boot up sequence this is where it ended and has remained for the entire time since.

I am experiencing the same issue with the Asus Maximus VI Extreme. It generally works, but the restart issue is annoying. Please let us know if there is a solution. Thanks.

Hartacus
Level 10

zevto
Level 7
I have the same problem with vi hero. I need to restart and the second time when is booting go to load windows7. Its annoying. Any help to fix this problem?