cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero Stuck on bootloop [HELP NEEDED]

Hukkaz
Level 7
Hello fellow ASUS enthusiasts !

So I recently decided to upgrade my old trustworthy P5Q Pro + Q9550 setup with a shiny new one.
New setup:
Intel Core I5-4670K 3,4GHz
Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO Intel Z87
Asus GTX 560 Ti DirectCU ( Radeon R9 290 on its way)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz / G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600 Mhz
Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Super Flower 850W Golden King Platinum
Samsung 250gb SSD 840 Evo

Unfortunately I have not been able to use it at all yet since it wont boot/post.
Now, this isn't my first build so I do have some experience with these sort of things
but at this point it feels like I have tried everything in my power/knowledge so I'm really hoping I could get some
much needed help here.

Right, so lets get down to the problem/problems.

Story begins:
I've assembled the PC and eagerly press the power button. Nothing happens..
Except the CPU fan spins for a while and then I get a Qcode 53.
After checking the manual, I see that it is memory related.
I try every single slot and run Memtest on all of them. System cycles through different settings with no success.
Alright, no biggie, I think. Probably just bad luck with this specific Corsair memory. It was not listed as officially supported so that's my bad. I decided to update the BIOS using the awesome USB BIOS Flashback feature in case it would help.
Well the update process in itself seemed to go fine.

But next time when I try to boot the machine, I get a new error. My old friend Qcode 53 has been replaced with a much more random error. I'm going to try to describe it but I also added a video in case your already bored by my blabbering 😛
Basically what happens is, CPU fan spins for a while, CPU_LED, HDD_LED flashes and Qcode goes from 00 to 19 very quickly and then the system boots itself and it just keeps doing that in a loop.
Video:

Alright, so still thinking it was the Corsair memory's fault I went out and bought two new G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB 1600Mhz that actually are listed in the manual as officially supported.
Well, turns out the problem still persists..
After that I've tried a bunch of things but starting to run out of ideas.

List of things that I've already tried:

Tried with two different PSUs. Both work fine with old setup.
Tried booting without any HDDs, GPU.
Tried all memory slots and combinations, memtested all.
Tried with the i5 4670K stock cooler and Thermalright HR-02 Macho cooler.
Removed and re-applied thermal paste to CPU.
Updated BIOS via USB flashback.
Re-assembled the whole machine twice.
Checked CPU/motherboard for broken pins, none visible.
Tried resetting CMOS via battery and moving pin.
Double-checked all cables, ATX connectors.

So at this point I would appreciate all help/suggestions you can come up with !
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Hukkaz. Please do the following for me.

1. Remove all the components from your motherboard, disconnect every single cable and take it out of the case.
2. Put it on top of the cardboard box that it came in.
3. Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.
4. Push the Start button to discharge any remaining power.
5. Insert the CMOS battery back into place.
6. Install your CPU and stock heatsink.
7. Insert one stick of RAM into the DIMM_A1 slot.
8. Connect the 24 pin and 8 pin power cables.
9. Push the Start button.

Report back your results.

Hukkaz
Level 7
Hello Chino,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I followed your exact instructions and unfortunately the same problem still persists.
I made a new video because the previous one was way too dark.
Video:

So what should I do next ? Feels like the mobo or CPU is dead. RMA ?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Could you check your 8 pin EPS PSU connector, it looks like a PCIe connector I have on my PSU.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hukkaz
Level 7
Yeah, the 8pin connector is definitely for CPU. It's even marked with the text "CPU". I agree it does resemble a PCIe connector but those are colored red on this PSU so there's no way that's the problem. And I'm currently using it on this old setup (P5Q+Q9550) just fine.

Hukkaz
Level 7
So anything else I could try ?

Hukkaz wrote:

Can you please remove it from your case and try it on top of the cardboard box like I suggested in my previous post? That way we can discard it being shorted out by the case.

Chino wrote:
Can you please remove it from your case and try it on top of the cardboard box like I suggested in my previous post? That way we can discard it being shorted out by the case.

Alright. Tried the whole process you suggested again but this time without the case, unfortunately the same problem still persists.
What's next ?

Hukkaz wrote:

Chino
Level 15
1. Download the 1301 BIOS from Asus website.
2. Format a USB pendrive to FAT32.
3. Extract the BIOS file and rename the file to M6H.CAP.
4. Put the BIOS file on your USB pendrive.
5. Connect the USB pendrive to the the USB port that's right below the USB BIOS Flashback button.
6. Press the USB BIOS Flashback button for three seconds until the LED begins to blink, then release.
7. Wait until the LED stops blinking.
8. Power on your system.

Any changes?