cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero - Not working with world's fastest SSD Intel DC P3700

citrix13
Level 7
So I bought the Intel DC P3700 (400GB) only to find out it will not boot or post into windows, nor does it show up in the Bios, experts please help. It's a $1200 SSD, works fine on an Asus competitors' boards, whom i won't name but i'll place a link http://www.thessdreview.com/featured/asrock-x99-extreme11motherboard-review-6-1gbs-transfer-speed-so...

There must be a way for this SSD to work with a Premium Rog board like the Maximus Hero VI, please help. I won't give up.
26 REPLIES 26

Breimeister
Level 9
Is this SSD on a PCI-e card? If so you probably need to download a driver from Intel. If it is plugged into a Sata port, return it.

citrix13
Level 7

I just read the specifications for your SSD and I have a few more thoughts.

Your SSD card has a single slot X4 connector so even if you put it into PCIE_1 or PCIE_2, it may not work in those slots, I don't know. If you tried it in those slots with the speed option in the bios set to AUTO or Gen3 and it did not work, you may need to return it or consider getting a newer motherboard.

I don't know what why you want to use this SSD but another option is to buy a Samsung 850 PRO. It is cheaper, it will boot faster and with their Magician software you may never notice a difference. You'll also have money left over for a very Merry Christmas. 😉

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Which PCI-E slot do you have it plugged into?
Does it show up in device manager?
Need a little more info.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Breimeister
Level 9
First you need to make sure it is plugged into PCIE_1 or PCIE_2. If both those slots are filled with video cards, remove one of them. 😞 Then when you boot the system you should see the bios install the card. If it does not install the card, enter the bios and check to make sure that the PCIE link speed for the slot that has the SSD is set to Gen3. Save and reboot. You should now see the bios recognize that SSD card. Let the system boot into Windows.

If you are running Windows 8.1 you will need to download a driver from Intel. After you install that driver, Windows will see that SSD drive. If you want to use it as your boot drive then I would suggest you find a good program like Paragon and clone your current boot drive to the new SSD drive. After you have done that you will need to get into the bios again and change the hard drive boot order.

Good luck!

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Why wouldn't it work in slot 1 or 2? They can handle anything 8 lanes and lower. It certainly will not work in the third slot, which is a single lane.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Why wouldn't it work in slot 1 or 2? They can handle anything 8 lanes and lower. It certainly will not work in the third slot, which is a single lane.

That is why I added "I don't know." This Intel is SSD is special. 😉

I have a Revodrive 350 which says it needs a Gen2 X8 slot and it works fine in the X4 or even X1 slot but it works slower in those slots. I tested that out myself because I wanted my video card to run in an X16 slot and not an X8 slot. People tell me it does not matter if I my video card in an X8 slot but then why was it advertised as needing an X16 slot? Right now my video card is in slot 1 Gen3 X8 and the Revodrive is in slot 2 Gen2 X8 and both seem to be happy.

Breimeister wrote:
That is why I added "I don't know." This Intel is SSD is special. 😉

I have a Revodrive 350 which says it needs a Gen2 X8 slot and it works fine in the X4 or even X1 slot but it works slower in those slots. I tested that out myself because I wanted my video card to run in an X16 slot and not an X8 slot. People tell me it does not matter if I my video card in an X8 slot but then why was it advertised as needing an X16 slot? Right now my video card is in slot 1 Gen3 X8 and the Revodrive is in slot 2 Gen2 X8 and both seem to be happy.

But PCI-e is not special. It should work in slot 1 or 2 as far as PCI-e is concerned.

Breimeister
Level 9
I guess we will not find out what happened, Citrix13 seems to have left us hanging. 😞