cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero Flashback error

Forza
Level 7
Hi,

I recently tried to update my Bios and I did it in my OS screen with the official Asus bios updater. It successfuly completed and after I rebooted my computer for the update my screen wasn't showing anything. However, I think that the computer still turns on because I have an xbox controller plugged in and it lights up - which also happens when my computer turns on. After that I tried the flashback feature, I did it in the follow way:
1) I formatted my USB to FAT 32
2) I downloaded the first Bios from the Asus Maximus Vi Hero download page
3) I plugged in my USB to the white USB slot next to my USB Flashback button and I held the Flashback button for 3 seconds until a blue light showed up.
4) The blue light blinks for 20 seconds and then turns off
5) I turned on the computer but I am still getting no screen.

I tried the above with 3 different Bios updates and I still won't get anything on the screen. I didn't expect this from Asus because I recently built my gaming rig ( December 2013) and I hope it hasn't affected my other parts.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help 😕
Forza
25 REPLIES 25

Forza
Level 7
Any solutions ? in addition to above I have tried the following with no results:
*Take out my SSD (OS Drive) and my other drive (with all my files) = Still nothing with A0 QCode.
* Tried the above with another USB = No results
* Turned of my computer. Switched power off. Took out cable. Waited 5 minutes. Did the USB procedure again and still no results.

This is really starting to bother me since I have important documents to complete on my computer.. Asus should have a backup bios (a Bios file is really small!!!) most other boards way less than the price of the Maximus already have this feature. Anyway, I hope that this can be resolved because this is pretty much a brand new computer.

Regards

Hi Praz,

Yes I did rename the bios file to M6H.CAP and I put it in the first directory of the USB (Once you click on the USB from My Computer). Also, I think the Asus Bios update utilty should of notified me about updating the Bios form without the OS. If that is the case, why is there even a utilty to update the bios through Windows ?.. But thanks for your info, I will use it for future bios updates 😛

Regards

In addition to all this:

I just tried to flashback with the bios version 1402 and I got the Q Code AE which I normally receive with a fully operating computer with a working monitor however my monitor still won't turn up. In additon, before doing the CMOS when pressed the button to shut down the computer it would take a couple of seconds. However, after the CMOS once I press the power button it shuts down instantly. I hope this will be of any use ?

Hopefully someone can suggest more 😕 since it is really starting to make me nervous.

Regards

Forza
Level 7
Hi marr,

Thanks for your reply. I cleared the cmos and once I turned on my computer it automatically shut down and rebooted itself. However, I still cannot get any screen on my monitor and the Q Code is now A2. Are there any other suggestions left ? since I am pretty worried right now.

Regards

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Failed BIOS updates done from within the operating system are normally the result of an unstable system. When using BIOS Flasback did you rename the BIOS file to M6H.CAP as is stated in the instructions in the manual?

Forza
Level 7
By the way it may be worth noting that these are my system specs:
* Intel i5 4670k
* XFX 700 W PSU
* Using intergrate gpu right now (Intel HD Graphics 4600)
* Samsung 120 GB SSD EVO
* WD BLUE 1TB
* Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB Memory / RAM

I also have a question. When I choose to download a bios from the Asus driver webpage should I use the latest one (it is in beta) or the first official released bios (which I am not sure if it support 4th generation intel cpu's).

Regards

Forza
Level 7
Moreover:
I tried flashback again and this time my mobo displays 03 and 08 codes (they keep changing in less than a splitsecond).. I hope someone can enlighten me and give me another solution since it is pretty urgent for me. :mad:

Regards

Beasty
Level 7
Ok , it might be stupid suggestion, but still I would ask 🙂 , did you try different video port? Do you use the integrated video or dedicated one? If you use one, please try the other card or port. Try ( if you think the system booted) , try to turn off the monitor only and turn it on again.