cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Gene - Wake On Lan issues.

MrT0ad
Level 7
Hi beautiful people:

I'm having an issue with this board and I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight.

Basically I can't make Wake on Lan from powered off state work.

I'm running the latest BIOS (1102) and I have configured what I thought could be related as follows:

- Advanced > CPU Configuration > Platform Misc Configuration > Native ASPM [Disabled]
- Advanced > CPU Configuration > APM > Power On by PCIE/PCI [Enabled]
- Advanced > CPU Configuration > Network Stack [Various combinations of Enabled/Disabled with no discernible effect]

I have also installed the latest available driver for the NIC and enabled the WoL options on the relevant section and confirmed with Bootutil that the NIC reports WoL as Enabled.

Still can't make WoL work.

I have noticed that the OROM for the Intel NIC is rather outdated, but I don't know to what extent that would affect this behaviour.

Before replacing the OROM and trying (which sometimes has led to unforeseen consequences) any other ideas?

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

HiVizMan
Level 40
MrT0ad wrote:
Hi beautiful people:

Arne he is talking about me here. 😄 😄

I have asked someone who does the LAN stuff to respond mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Arne he is talking about me here. 😄 😄

I have asked someone who does the LAN stuff to respond mate.

That was quick 🙂 thanks!

Someone (on a different forum) suggested I could just go downstairs (I have the rig in the basement where the temperature is between 20 and 22C all year around and fan noise becomes largely irrelevant) and power it on, and get the added benefit of climbing stairs on the way back which apparently is good cardio... but I am lazy, very lazy 😄

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
OK after digging through the Manual for the MVIG and looking at the settings from my own Intel NIC...I am coming up pretty short, the only thing I can think of is the Wake On Link Settings, not being enabled? that and in the WOL settings information box, it states that to wake from an S5 State, you need to lose the link before the system enters S5 so that a link can be made to wake from S5....The only thing I can think of, is disabling the NIC from within Windows before you power down the system...I could be wrong and I probably am lol.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
OK after digging through the Manual for the MVIG and looking at the settings from my own Intel NIC...I am coming up pretty short, the only thing I can think of is the Wake On Link Settings, not being enabled? that and in the WOL settings information box, it states that to wake from an S5 State, you need to lose the link before the system enters S5 so that a link can be made to wake from S5....The only thing I can think of, is disabling the NIC from within Windows before you power down the system...I could be wrong and I probably am lol.

Thanks for taking the time to reply 🙂

WoL settings are enabled at driver level (in the device properties > power management) and reported enabled by Booutil (an Intel DOS utility to flash PXE/UEFI/iSCSI firmware to their NICs, change settings etc).

I have gone as far as unplugging the ethernet cable once the system powered down and plugging it again after a minute or so to make sure that the link was lost.

Puzzled by the whole thing. I have been using WoL on many boards since time immemorial, even with external NICs (which is often not as straightforward).

I guess unless someone comes up with a smoking gun I will have to replace the outdated OROM and see if that makes any difference.

Praz
Level 13
What operating system is this? Win8/8.1 cannot do WOL if Fast Boot is enabled.

Praz wrote:
What operating system is this? Win8/8.1 cannot do WOL if Fast Boot is enabled.

Is Windows 8.1 but fastboot is disabled in BIOS.

Praz
Level 13
Fast Boot in Windows. 🙂

Praz wrote:
Fast Boot in Windows. 🙂

Oh, there is a setting for that within Windows too?

Thought disabling it at BIOS level was enough.

Will have to Google that... just made the transition from Win7 and seems there are quite a few things I don't know about this OS...

Thanks for the tip 🙂

Praz wrote:
Fast Boot in Windows. 🙂

You Sir are a genius. Thank you.

Al tickety boo now 🙂