cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Gene audio output impedance?

doggghouse
Level 7
Hello, I was wondering if someone from ASUS could answer a quick question...

I recently purchased the Maximus VI Gene and plan to use the on-board SupremeFX audio for a pair of headphones. I read that it is important for headphone impedance to be 8x greater than the signal impedance (ex. 32 ohm headphones ok for up to 4 ohm output). Doing a quick search, I found that the other Maximus VI boards have an impedance of 10 ohm, but they also have a special headphone amp that the Gene does not have. I can't find any information specific to the Gene, though.

So... could someone at ASUS tell me the approximate output impedance of the Gene?

FYI I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser PC 360s, which are 50 ohm. I am trying to determine if the on-board sound will be good enough, or if I will need to invest in a sound card.

Thanks!

Edit: I found a couple of sources that stated the output impedance for the ALC1150 is 2 ohm, but that motherboard manufacturers can add additional resistors that increase the impedance as high as 75 ohm! Can someone please give the actual number for the Gene?
1 REPLY 1

GreyDevil
Level 7
Bump I would also like to know the output impedance of the Gene as I am interested in buying Sennheiser PC 350 SE and wondering if I need to buy an amp or not.