cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula stuck at Qcode 99 / A2

Arclite
Level 7
I recently replaced my processor and RAM on my Maximus VI Formula and now it doesn't boot (no display/post whatsoever). Whenever I try connecting my SSD/HDD it will be stuck at qcode A2 and if I remove them it will be stuck on qcode 99. I have tried clearing the cmos and removing the battery but it still doesn't work. I'm down to 1 last option which is to update the BIOS. The processor I replaced is just another i5-4670k (the first one I gave it to my brother along with the RAM which were both working perfectly). Any other person who experienced this problem? I would appreciate a reply on how to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Old Rig

Processor: Core I5-4670K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866Mhz CL9
HDD/SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 256GB / WD blue 1TB
PSU : Corsair AX860i

Replaced with :

Processor: Core I5-4670K
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB 1600Mhz CL8
HDD/SSD : still the same
PSU : still the same
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Arclite!

Are you getting any video output on the monitor? And please look beside the 24 pin power connector and locate the 4 QLEDs for me. Do any of them remain lit when you power on your system?

Arclite
Level 7
Hello Chino, yes the last one remains lit. Boot Device Led. I forgot to mention also I used to have a GTX 760 installed and right now I'm deciding on whether to get the 780Ti or just the 780 so I'm using the onboard video. No display detected.

Updated bios to 1102...still the same hangs on qcode 99 with no display

Chino
Level 15
Please disconnect all your USB devices and if you have any front panel USB connected to the motherboard, disconnect them also. Power up your system again. 😉

Arclite
Level 7
Already done that only thing connected is ram and processor plus hdmi on integrated gpu..no display still

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please see if you can borrow back a stick of your old ram. Test your system with the new CPU and the know working ram.

Let me know how that goes please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Managed to get a display using my old monitor csm feature was the culprit..loaded defaults and it is working now..thanks for the help anyway..nothing wrong with the ram or anything..i guess sometimes we just tend to miss the simplest solutions and make our lives miserable...silly me 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL second time today I have had someone use that expression "simple solutions"

Enjoy your system mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi there, sorry to re open this thread. We're getting exactly the same problem here.

If we add a cd drive, we get an A2 Q-code error. If we unplug the sata cable for that drive we get a 99 Q-code error. All of these are with no output going to the screen via the on board HDMI

Spec -

Board - Maximus VI formula z87
Chip - I7 4770K
Memory - Corsair vengeance 2133MHZ

This is a brand new machine and new case.

We have tried removing it from the case
Removing memory (removing it all produces a no memory error code which is correct, were currently testing with 2 sticks and get the same )
We've tried 2 different monitors and get no signal on either.
As I said, we have tried with Sata drives plugged in, hard drives are fine, the optical drive (pioneer vcd 207dbk) changes the error to A2.

As you can guess were hyper stressed and are getting to the end of our tethers so any help would be most great fully received.