cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula Q-Code D7 - 99 on first boot

Harjan
Level 7
Hello,

I just wanted to test boot my Maximus VI Formula motherboard, but it didn't boot. And it gave me the D7 error code , so i thought maybe i need to plug a (USB)keyboard in and i get the following error error code : 99. And im also not getting anything displayed on my screen, it just stays black.

Any idees on what it coudl be ? or is it just a DOA and do i need to RMA it ?

The components which are connected a.t.m. are :

Maximus VI Formula (Seated on the original box it came in)
Intel 4770K with standard heatsink
1 stick of 4GB DDR3 2000MHZ ( in stal A1)
1 Club3D 280x
corsair RM1000 PSU (with all cables seated properly)
Also i have both the 4-pin as the 8-pin CPU power connector plugged in
Connected to my TV by HDMI

Thanks and hope that somebody can help me a.s.a.p., as i was planning on painting the ROG armor tomorow.

UPDATE :

After disconnecting the Club3D GPU and using the onboard graphics i was able to boot into the Bios, but i still have the Q-code : D7. Also it said the following : 35643

Also after having plugged in my (usb)Keyboard, it shows q-code b4....

But as soon as i install the GPU again, it stays stuck at D7 and wont display anything.
Will this be fine as soon as i connect a boot device and have installed windows, or is there somethign else going on that i will need to fix ? or will i just need to update/flash the Bios ?

Update 2 :
After connection an SSD, it seems to be fine. I get all the way to the part where it says it can't find an OS. And the q-code displays AE, which is a good think i gues ? But as soon as i connect a GPU (tried mulitple) It wont show anything on my screen...

Connected to HDMI : Strange colours all over the screen, no sign of the bios....
Connected to DVI : Screen just stays black...
7 REPLIES 7

Corsair_Riker
Level 10
So just to confirm - you don't have the motherboard in case at the moment? If so - reckon you take a photo of your setup and post it?

Also - what do you have connected to the computer? Any hard drives (SSD, etc)? Anything else connected to any of the ports?
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
HDD 1: Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
HDD 2: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
RAM: 16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
CASE: Fractal Design Define R4
OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer BDR-209DBK
MONITOR: Samsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
Other: MS Wired 600; Logitech MX 310; Sennheiser PC 151 & Logitech Z150

Sure here are the pictures :

Without GPU, HDMI conencted to motherboard :

With GPU, HDMI connected to GPU :

When connected to GPU with HDMI :

Also i'm only getting the q-code AE, since i have connected the SSD

Praz
Level 13
[QUOTE=Harjan;391541But as soon as i connect a GPU (tried mulitple) It wont show anything on my screen...

Connected to HDMI : Strange colours all over the screen, no sign of the bios....
Connected to DVI : Screen just stays black...
Hello

This could be an issue using a TV as a monitor and is not uncommon. Try with a proper monitor attached.

Thanks for the advice, gonna try it right away!
This was the first thing where i thought about, though i thought by myself; Why would this be a problem, because i also tried conencting it to DVI. But yeah i thought it could be the sort of connecter instead of the display.

Ill update this post to let you know 😉

Update :

Yeah you where right! Now i do get message displayed on my monitor, with that it can't find an OS.
I will plug in my other SSD (which contains an install of windows 7. and see if i can boot all the way to the OS.

Also will this problem go away after i've installed an OS ?

I still i find it strange though, as i've never had this problem before with other ROG motherboards...

Thanks and i will keep you updated!

Harjan
Level 7
Even with a SSD connected with an OS installed. I'm not able to get anything showing up on my display (except those colours from the picture), when connected to my TV by HDMI to my GPU.
Do i need a bios update or is there something else ? As i want to be able to use my TV in the future aswell.

Harjan wrote:
Even with a SSD connected with an OS installed. I'm not able to get anything showing up on my display (except those colours from the picture), when connected to my TV by HDMI to my GPU.
Do i need a bios update or is there something else ? As i want to be able to use my TV in the future aswell.

So - just to check:

1. Using Onboard Graphics:

You are able to connect to a TV or Montior via HDMI and able to use your computer as normal?

2. Using GPU:

You are only able to connect to a Monitor via HDMI and use your computer as normal?

If you connect to a TV - using the same GPU and HDMI cable - you end up with the coloured bars?
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
HDD 1: Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
HDD 2: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
RAM: 16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
CASE: Fractal Design Define R4
OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer BDR-209DBK
MONITOR: Samsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
Other: MS Wired 600; Logitech MX 310; Sennheiser PC 151 & Logitech Z150

NemesisChild
Level 12
Is the Club 280x brand new?

Try putting it in the second PCI-e slot and/or connecting to the other DVI port on the card.
If you're still getting graphical corruption or no display, you may have to RMA your 280x.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601