cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula Discussion Thread

Raja
Level 13
Maximus VI Formula Overview and Discussion Thread

The Maximus VI Formula should be available to purchase in a few weeks. A motherboard many have been waiting for, and for good reason. Plenty of cool features on offer, we won't go into them all, but have picked out some of the salient ones for you to check out below:

Board layout and features at a glance:

Gaming Features

SupremeFX

The Maximus VI Formula sports a specialized audio solution called SupremeFX. Based on Realtek’s latest ALC1150 chipset, the Cirrus Logic DAC and the TPA6120 headphone amplifier and an optimized PCB layout - isolating PCB layers and spacing sensitive traces away from other areas of the motherboard. Shielding is also utilized to minimize spurious noise from entering signal lines. High quality capacitors are used for power supply decoupling to minimize ripple and provide a low impedance at audio critical frequencies. The end result is a 120dB SNR, placing the Maximus VI Formula's onboard audio solution on par with the best discrete soundcards available.

On the software side, the latest addition to the package is Sonic Radar:

The Sonic Radar GUI

Sonic Radar is a HUD that is useful in FPS games. It shows a visual representation of where sounds are coming from. The location of footsteps, gunshots, explosions and anything else is shown in the 360 degree HUD while gaming:

BF3 – Sonic Radar showing direction of audio effects

The HUD can be made more transparent and its location on the screen changed. Sonic Radar very useful feature when gaming with stereo headsets, where surround effects are simulated and may not be easy to pinpoint.

On the subject of headsets, Perfect Voice has been added to improve the clarity of VOIP calls. It’s a software based filter that uses digital signal processing to remove noise pickup from your mic while making a call:

DSP helps reduce ambient noise for clearer comms

Perfect Voice works with any plug in microphone/headset to clean up voice transmission during calls.

ROG RAMDISK

With high density memory modules and kits becoming the norm, many of us have an abundance of free memory on our systems that never gets utilized. ROG RAM Disk has been coded to take advantage of that free space to help speed up the system.

ROG RAM Disk GUI

Unlike many free RAM drive tools, ROG RAM DISK has no size limitations – up to 80% of the free memory (not used by the OS) can be configured as a RAM drive.

To get you an idea of how fast a RAM drive is, check the screenshot below:

10000 MB/s sequential write speeds

Applications stored on ROG RAM DISK are written to hard storage (HHD/SSD) when the system is prompted for shutdown.

Of course, re-installing games to the RAM DISK would be a painful experience. That's why ROG RAM DISK has a feature know as Junction Mode.

Setting a junction point to a game folder allows critical game files to be transferred to the RAM DISK without interfering with the original installation. Just point the software at the game folder and it will take care of the rest. This way, critical files such as maps can be accessed directly from the RAM DISK, speeding up load times.

Discussing features is fine, but what really matters for many users in knowing a board can overclock and run stable. How about 24 hour stability testing? Here's a few screenies from JJ, showing the Maximus VI Formula running different memory configs and CPU overclocks:

Over 24 hours AIDA64 passed at 4.7GHz DDR3-2800 16GB 4x4

Over 24 hours AIDA64 passed at 4.6GHz DDR3-2133 32GB 8X4

4.8GHz DDR3-2400 AIDA 1 Hour - right at the limits of the CPU and cooling

Use this thread to discuss/share results when you get your boards folks 🙂
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

Hey Guys,

I found this amauzing looking ram the Avexir Blitz 1.1 ECS LEET Red and would like to know if my Asus Impact will be able to handle it.
Can you help me with that question?
Edit: Link http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Arbeitsspeicher/DDR3-2400/Avexir-Blitz-11-ECS-LEET-Red-rote-LED-...

Praz
Level 13
The third PCIe x16 slot is capable of x4 speed only.

So that would give me x8/x0/x4 at 3.0? Or 2.0? Or x16/x0/x4?
I have no experience with changing between 3.0 and 2.0 or x4 and x8.
Would there be a signifficant/noticable difference between these settings? I am now running x16/x8 at 3.0 with the M6G.

Arniebomba wrote:
So that would give me x8/x0/x4 at 3.0? Or 2.0? Or x16/x0/x4?
I have no experience with changing between 3.0 and 2.0 or x4 and x8.
Would there be a signifficant/noticable difference between these settings? I am now running x16/x8 at 3.0 with the M6G.

It should run in 3.0. However I'd recommend using the top two red slots so you have x8/x8 for both cards. This board still will give you a nice gap between the top two cards. I use a side fan and two front fans, plenty of air flow between the cards.

Antony-rog
Level 8
This is the best looking ram kit I've ever seen!!!!!

Antony-rog
Level 8
URGENT HELP!
After using my PC normally when I tried to turn it on again, it wouldn't boot.
I tried flashing several CAP files but it got stuck at error code 71 (it showes 7i on the display).
I looked over on the manual but I don't know how can I solve it.
I tried to go directly to the BIOS with the direckey, but it does the same, just turns on for a few seconds and then off.
I changed absolutely nothing on the PC before this problem and it was working flawless.
Thank you.

Now I can power up the PC get the A2 or A0 code but I cannot boot, or install or even recover the Windows boot system.

Antony-rog wrote:
URGENT HELP!
After using my PC normally when I tried to turn it on again, it wouldn't boot.
I tried flashing several CAP files but it got stuck at error code 71 (it showes 7i on the display).
I looked over on the manual but I don't know how can I solve it.
I tried to go directly to the BIOS with the direckey, but it does the same, just turns on for a few seconds and then off.
I changed absolutely nothing on the PC before this problem and it was working flawless.
Thank you.

Now I can power up the PC get the A2 or A0 code but I cannot boot, or install or even recover the Windows boot system.

i suggest to rma the board..

Griiinbergs
Level 7
Hey im new to this forum and im rly interested in maximus VI formula.

And m rly interested in formulas performance in SLI configuration and is it worth going for SLI or just single GPU configuration.

Griiinbergs wrote:
Hey im new to this forum and im rly interested in maximus VI formula.

And m rly interested in formulas performance in SLI configuration and is it worth going for SLI or just single GPU configuration.

You can run 2 way SLI with this board. The second part I really can't answer without knowing which GPUs you are comparing.

Griiinbergs
Level 7
Im thinking like Gtx 780/780ti as single gpu or like Gtx 680 in sli but still want to see what will be the new Gtx 800 series gpu's...