cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula Discussion Thread

Raja
Level 13
Maximus VI Formula Overview and Discussion Thread

The Maximus VI Formula should be available to purchase in a few weeks. A motherboard many have been waiting for, and for good reason. Plenty of cool features on offer, we won't go into them all, but have picked out some of the salient ones for you to check out below:

Board layout and features at a glance:

Gaming Features

SupremeFX

The Maximus VI Formula sports a specialized audio solution called SupremeFX. Based on Realtek’s latest ALC1150 chipset, the Cirrus Logic DAC and the TPA6120 headphone amplifier and an optimized PCB layout - isolating PCB layers and spacing sensitive traces away from other areas of the motherboard. Shielding is also utilized to minimize spurious noise from entering signal lines. High quality capacitors are used for power supply decoupling to minimize ripple and provide a low impedance at audio critical frequencies. The end result is a 120dB SNR, placing the Maximus VI Formula's onboard audio solution on par with the best discrete soundcards available.

On the software side, the latest addition to the package is Sonic Radar:

The Sonic Radar GUI

Sonic Radar is a HUD that is useful in FPS games. It shows a visual representation of where sounds are coming from. The location of footsteps, gunshots, explosions and anything else is shown in the 360 degree HUD while gaming:

BF3 – Sonic Radar showing direction of audio effects

The HUD can be made more transparent and its location on the screen changed. Sonic Radar very useful feature when gaming with stereo headsets, where surround effects are simulated and may not be easy to pinpoint.

On the subject of headsets, Perfect Voice has been added to improve the clarity of VOIP calls. It’s a software based filter that uses digital signal processing to remove noise pickup from your mic while making a call:

DSP helps reduce ambient noise for clearer comms

Perfect Voice works with any plug in microphone/headset to clean up voice transmission during calls.

ROG RAMDISK

With high density memory modules and kits becoming the norm, many of us have an abundance of free memory on our systems that never gets utilized. ROG RAM Disk has been coded to take advantage of that free space to help speed up the system.

ROG RAM Disk GUI

Unlike many free RAM drive tools, ROG RAM DISK has no size limitations – up to 80% of the free memory (not used by the OS) can be configured as a RAM drive.

To get you an idea of how fast a RAM drive is, check the screenshot below:

10000 MB/s sequential write speeds

Applications stored on ROG RAM DISK are written to hard storage (HHD/SSD) when the system is prompted for shutdown.

Of course, re-installing games to the RAM DISK would be a painful experience. That's why ROG RAM DISK has a feature know as Junction Mode.

Setting a junction point to a game folder allows critical game files to be transferred to the RAM DISK without interfering with the original installation. Just point the software at the game folder and it will take care of the rest. This way, critical files such as maps can be accessed directly from the RAM DISK, speeding up load times.

Discussing features is fine, but what really matters for many users in knowing a board can overclock and run stable. How about 24 hour stability testing? Here's a few screenies from JJ, showing the Maximus VI Formula running different memory configs and CPU overclocks:

Over 24 hours AIDA64 passed at 4.7GHz DDR3-2800 16GB 4x4

Over 24 hours AIDA64 passed at 4.6GHz DDR3-2133 32GB 8X4

4.8GHz DDR3-2400 AIDA 1 Hour - right at the limits of the CPU and cooling

Use this thread to discuss/share results when you get your boards folks 🙂
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

ManAmal wrote:
Hello all, can someone help me install my i7 4790K. I upgraded to the latest BIOS 1603, I then installed the chip and the PC turns on but no picture and keyboard does not work nor does the mouse.Please help me and let me know what I am doing wrong.

Also be sure you did not over tighten screws (use your hand only, no tool !), because this can introduce a gap between some pins and the socket and cause boot issues.

Hope this helps.

PS: 4790K running flawlessly here with this Mobo.
Case : Fractal Define XL R2 | Mobo : Asus Formula VI | CPU : Intel i7 4790K @4.4GHz | GC : GTX1080ti Asus Strix OC 11G |
RAM : 16GB DDR3 G.Skill p2400 | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX860i | OS : Win 10 Pro x64

I have owned a Maximus Vi motherboard now for about 2 years.
Currently have BIOS 1603
i7 4770K @3.5
H120 CPU water cooler (Large Radiator and 2 fans) - Set to full on all the time
32 Gigs G.Skill F3-19200C10-8GBZHD Ram
480 gig SSD (Not sure of vender without pulling case apart)
720 gig HD (Not sure of vender without pulling case apart)
PNY - GTX 970 Graphics card with 4gig ram
Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
900 watt PS (Name brand unit.. Think was Corsair but not sure without looking)

I have had this computer running flawlessly for the first year and about 10 months ago I upgraded the memory with the
G.Skill RAM (Will NICELY overclock to 2400 via XMP) and the PNY graphics card.

I am having a stability issue so I am currently NOT over clocking anything.
I have switched out the hard drives since this started happening so I know the hard drives are not the issue.

Trying to resolve this issue so I can make use of the OC power of my setup.

Previously had Kingston 4gig memory modules in this computer and an ASUS ROG GTX 760 Graphics card.

After updating to the G.Skill and PNY graphics card I have started having stability issues.
When i am running the computer it works GREAT. Very fast and runs anything I can throw at it.
When I OC the CPU and / or memory it is very noticeably faster. Currently not overclocked until I get the stability issue resolved.

I am basically having two issues.

When i shut down the computer it doesn't actually shut down, it restarts so I have to kill the power at the power supply at the right time
when I want to shut down.

Sometimes when it goes to sleep it won't come back. The screens are dark (3 dell 27" 1920x1080 screens) and mouse/keyboard actions
do nothing. Hitting the reset or power buttons, or holding the power button don't do anything. The fans are still running fine however
so I know the computer is ON as are the LEDS as I would expect.

Note that when I turn off the power supply, wait for all LED's to go dark then turn it back on.
When the power button is pressed the computer will come on, display an alarm about having an error while trying to overclock,
I exit the bios without saving and continue without issue. The overclocking message is wierd since I am not actually over clocking
anything at this time.

Kind of frustrating...

I haven't had the time available to reinstall windows on this machine. I plan to possibly reinstall my Win 8.1 to the bare essentials
then update to Win 10. That is the only thing I have not tried yet. I am in mid semester working on a Computer science degree so
restarting this computer would not be a smart thing to do until the semester is finished.

Anyone had this issue? Or have suggestions on what to do to fix?

Once I get the issue resolved I am curious how high I should be able to over clock my Processor? This water cooler SHOULD make a huge
difference. I expect that 2400 is about as fast as I want to run the memory. It came with fans for the memory but the configuration of the
slots really didn't allow for me adding those fans onto it and I wonder if they really do anything.

Thanks for the help!

Note I consider myself at the PC-Expert level. I just have never messed with over clocking before and the ASUS ROG motherboards
let you tweak a lot of things which I have never had the time to research to learn what they do so I normally leave them set on their
defaults. Since the Memtest 86+ returns no errors on this memory I don't believe the memory to be the issue and I don't have issues
running Witcher 3 with full settings on. Runs quite smooth and very fast. Just some wierd issues as outlined above.

Hello everyone

I am planning to get Asus Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini Adapter Card + Samsung 950 Pro and I wonder if this will work with the mainboard with no issues.
Will it allow to install os and be available as booting drive?

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

Please list your other major system components.
Did you run the bios updater utility prior to installing your 4790k?

You must follow this procedure:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48855-Must-Do-s-for-making-4790K-work-with-Maximus-VI-Mothe...
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Nate152
Hallo minikus, welcome to the ROG forum.

The maximus vi series boards do not support NVMe, the 950 pro is not compatible.

Thanks for quick reply.

If I upgrade my mainboard to formula VII will it work then?

Nate152
I'm pretty sure the maximus vii formula only fits M.2 pcie ssd's that are 2260, the 950 pro is 2280 so it's probably too long and would only run at x2 speed anyway.

I am going to use Asus Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini Adapter Card with Samsung 950 not the integrated m2 slot.

Antony-rog
Level 8
My board does not offer control for the optional cpu fan connection (OPT_FAN) after I reinstalled the system.
It used to work just fine, now it gets at full speed as soon the Windows OS loads.
What that might be?
Thanks!