cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula Discussion Thread

Raja
Level 13
Maximus VI Formula Overview and Discussion Thread

The Maximus VI Formula should be available to purchase in a few weeks. A motherboard many have been waiting for, and for good reason. Plenty of cool features on offer, we won't go into them all, but have picked out some of the salient ones for you to check out below:

Board layout and features at a glance:

Gaming Features

SupremeFX

The Maximus VI Formula sports a specialized audio solution called SupremeFX. Based on Realtek’s latest ALC1150 chipset, the Cirrus Logic DAC and the TPA6120 headphone amplifier and an optimized PCB layout - isolating PCB layers and spacing sensitive traces away from other areas of the motherboard. Shielding is also utilized to minimize spurious noise from entering signal lines. High quality capacitors are used for power supply decoupling to minimize ripple and provide a low impedance at audio critical frequencies. The end result is a 120dB SNR, placing the Maximus VI Formula's onboard audio solution on par with the best discrete soundcards available.

On the software side, the latest addition to the package is Sonic Radar:

The Sonic Radar GUI

Sonic Radar is a HUD that is useful in FPS games. It shows a visual representation of where sounds are coming from. The location of footsteps, gunshots, explosions and anything else is shown in the 360 degree HUD while gaming:

BF3 – Sonic Radar showing direction of audio effects

The HUD can be made more transparent and its location on the screen changed. Sonic Radar very useful feature when gaming with stereo headsets, where surround effects are simulated and may not be easy to pinpoint.

On the subject of headsets, Perfect Voice has been added to improve the clarity of VOIP calls. It’s a software based filter that uses digital signal processing to remove noise pickup from your mic while making a call:

DSP helps reduce ambient noise for clearer comms

Perfect Voice works with any plug in microphone/headset to clean up voice transmission during calls.

ROG RAMDISK

With high density memory modules and kits becoming the norm, many of us have an abundance of free memory on our systems that never gets utilized. ROG RAM Disk has been coded to take advantage of that free space to help speed up the system.

ROG RAM Disk GUI

Unlike many free RAM drive tools, ROG RAM DISK has no size limitations – up to 80% of the free memory (not used by the OS) can be configured as a RAM drive.

To get you an idea of how fast a RAM drive is, check the screenshot below:

10000 MB/s sequential write speeds

Applications stored on ROG RAM DISK are written to hard storage (HHD/SSD) when the system is prompted for shutdown.

Of course, re-installing games to the RAM DISK would be a painful experience. That's why ROG RAM DISK has a feature know as Junction Mode.

Setting a junction point to a game folder allows critical game files to be transferred to the RAM DISK without interfering with the original installation. Just point the software at the game folder and it will take care of the rest. This way, critical files such as maps can be accessed directly from the RAM DISK, speeding up load times.

Discussing features is fine, but what really matters for many users in knowing a board can overclock and run stable. How about 24 hour stability testing? Here's a few screenies from JJ, showing the Maximus VI Formula running different memory configs and CPU overclocks:

Over 24 hours AIDA64 passed at 4.7GHz DDR3-2800 16GB 4x4

Over 24 hours AIDA64 passed at 4.6GHz DDR3-2133 32GB 8X4

4.8GHz DDR3-2400 AIDA 1 Hour - right at the limits of the CPU and cooling

Use this thread to discuss/share results when you get your boards folks 🙂
1,087 REPLIES 1,087

Denoppo
Level 7
Can anyone tell me where the Boot order of preference is? I have to change my PC logon password (forgot it) and must boot from my USB drive temporarily to change password. I am using the Smartkey password removal tool recommended by Microsoft for Windows 10
Asus Maximus VI Formula-CaseLabs SM8 Case-Corsair K70 Keyboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133-Dell 2560 X 1440 Monitor-Func MS-3 Mouse
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans
Samsung SSD 840 Pro-Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP-Windows 7 Ultimate

Nate152
Hello Denoppo

If you're booting from a usb stick ,set the usb stick as the first boot device, it is located in the bios on the boot tab.

ealterry
Level 7
Hi,

Anyone here already updated to Windows 10 on Asus maximus vi formula? I want to update my Window 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 but need your guys advice first. Hope someone can give me an advice. Thank you

Hi I would like to ask after installing Windows 7 and using it I realised I installed SSD to Asmedia port by mistake, is it possible if I can move my SSD from Asmedia port to Intel port without reinstalling windows? In the bios AHCI is already enabled and I have my SSD as boot drive and 2 HDD as storage.

Thanks

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Yes, you can just connect it to the Intel port without having to install Windows.

Just to confirm I can move the ssd from Asmedia to Intel, thats great thanks, should I move everything to Intel port and disable Asmedia?

gatz30 wrote:
Just to confirm I can move the ssd from Asmedia to Intel, thats great thanks, should I move everything to Intel port and disable Asmedia?

It's recommended to connect SSD and HDD's to the Intel SATA ports and all others to Asmedia.
However, if you can connect all drives to Intel and avoid Asmedia altogether, then do it.
Just remember to disable the Asmedia controller in the bios.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
It's recommended to connect SSD and HDD's to the Intel SATA ports and all others to Asmedia.
However, if you can connect all drives to Intel and avoid Asmedia altogether, then do it.
Just remember to disable the Asmedia controller in the bios.

OK so I can move the ssd without reinstalling windows

NemesisChild
Level 12
Yes SATA ports are basically plug & play.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Hello all, can someone help me install my i7 4790K. I upgraded to the latest BIOS 1603, I then installed the chip and the PC turns on but no picture and keyboard does not work nor does the mouse.Please help me and let me know what I am doing wrong.