cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula and system stress test

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Hi all

My i-7 4770K CPU recently died, and my retailer told me this was supposely because of a voltage surge after I accidentally tweaked the OC setting. So of course I had little choice but to (1) return the fried CPU to local (I'm in Hong Kong) distributor for RMA (the chance of which is almost zero), and (2) cough up the $$$ and get a "new" one.

However, due to my own stupidity, I forgot to ask for the original box, so now I'm paranoid that even the "new" CPU that they installed for me is dodgy.

Now CPU-Z and AIDA64 both tell me that it is a proper i-7 4770K. However, just wondering what is the best system stress test software to use which can also achieve max compatibility with Maximus Formua VI?

Please feel free to laugh at my stupidity - I'd be happy to take it all in if I can find some peace of mind that the CPU won't die on me randomly again.
3 REPLIES 3

Sherbat
Level 7
The thing that comes to mind is that, when you don't have your Vcore set to manual, the use of AVX instructions will make the CPU request, and get, a higher Vcore. I have read this can be as high as 0.1V, in my case I have seen 0.08V.
Apart from that in my opinion you should be able to run any stress test. I have used LinX, both with and without AVX.
Maximus VI Hero / i5 4670K / GTX 760 / 8GB DDR3 1600 / Seasonic M12II 650

Raja
Level 13
There are many options. I run a variety of tests, from Prime, Memtest for Windows, Hyper Pi and games.

I would advise you don't OC anything right now. Get the system up and running and do some more research about overclocking this platform. Be gradual. DO NOT pay any attention to people who have overclocked their systems to a frequency that you feel you should be able to obtain as well. It always pays to go slowly and methodically. Things like cooling, voltages, memory all need to be taken into account before you start shooting for the moon.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Thanks Raja for the advice - yes right now I've flashed the BIOS, F5'ed everything to default, with the only changes made to the fan speed profiles (changed both my H80i fans to "silent"). Otherwise, I will just use the machine as it was. I think my previous CPU death was a combination of (1) new system not being stable, (2) me using AI Suite 3 which automatically OC'ed too much too soon, and (3) just bad luck of having a particularly fragile CPU.

Would this be possible to kill a CPU?