cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula 4-Way Optimization Error

Denoppo
Level 7
Hello Everyone,
After my Formula build and of course getting past my Bios issue (my fault of course) I would like to finish out by optimizing my PC. This AI Suite III is what sold me on this brand. By the way does JJ Make house calls? I watched his 4-Way optimization video on YouTube and it looks very easy until I try it.
My issue is at the very beginning I hit the Start Button to optimize and it takes me to a Warning Box - Do I want to continue warning screen of Yes or No? Should I even be getting this screen?
No takes me back one screen - presumably to set something which the only thing I set was naming my fans. I'll try not doing that next time and see what happens.
Yes reboots me to Windows where I have to sign in again and get an Error Message - Access Violation at address 00451314 and goes on to say Write of Address 000003A8.
Asus Maximus VI Formula-CaseLabs SM8 Case-Corsair K70 Keyboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133-Dell 2560 X 1440 Monitor-Func MS-3 Mouse
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans
Samsung SSD 840 Pro-Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP-Windows 7 Ultimate
88 REPLIES 88

Raja
Level 13
AI Suite 4-way works perfectly for me, I select the 4.2GHz profile and it works with no errors. I ran it on the MVI Extreme. Using the latest version of AI suite from the ASUS page and the latest UEFI and a fresh install of Win 8. If that does not work for you something on your end is messed up or you're doing something the CPU cannot do.

I would advise not overclocking the system until you have learnt more about things either way, hence my advice to find someone nearby that can help you.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
AI Suite 4-way works perfectly for me, I select the 4.2GHz profile and it works with no errors. I ran it on the MVI Extreme. Using the latest version of AI suite from the ASUS page and the latest UEFI and a fresh install of Win 8. If that does not work for you something on your end is messed up or you're doing something the CPU cannot do.

I would advise not overclocking the system until you have learnt more about things either way, hence my advice to find someone nearby that can help you.

well thats kinda the point isn't it? it works for some people and doesn't work for others. isn't the whole point of this supposed to be an easy way for anyone to OC?

My cpu can do 4.2 cause I have it manually OC'd to 4.2, but the 4-way crashes anytime I try to do it. I do have the latest UEFI/bios and the latest version of AI3, but I have Win 7. Is this something that only works with Win 8?

Raja
Level 13
4-way on the ROG boards assigns static voltages, if those voltages are not enough for your sample then you'll need to tune manually. We cannot cater for all samples out there. The stinky ones need buckets of voltage, if we set those kinds of voltages we'd screw the majority of good samples and that's not going to happen.

It works for most people because their CPUs can handle the frequency at the applied voltage.

As you have 4.2 now manually, I would forget about 4-way and carry on using your system.

-Raja

warmmilk
Level 7
so the 4-way tunes it OC on the channel boards, but only has specific set presets for the ROG boards?

so this line:
"Starting with the Turbo Processing Unit (TPU), 4-Way Optimization performs Auto Tuning, which automatically overclocks the CPU to within ~95% of its potential"

taken off this page under the "Dual Intelligent Processors 4 with 4-Way Optimization" section:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_FORMULA/

is not true?

Also, the line about Fan Xpert 2 that says "Fan Xpert 2 tests and calibrates each individual case fan connected to your motherboard to create selectable cooling profiles"
I've only been able to get that result on fans connected to the chassis fan headers, the ones connected to the optional headers don't get picked up in Fan Xpert, just in the bios. Is there a way to setup the same kinda profiles for the opt fan headers as the chassis fan headers in AI3?

I'm sorry to get all up in arms about this, but I bought this board based on its advertised features. Some of these are simply not true.

Raja
Level 13
Only some of the channel boards have the dynamic OC part yes. I did not write the marketing materials.

As far as I know you cannot assign the OPT headers as chassis, never tried it myself and don't think it's possible.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Only some of the channel boards have the dynamic OC part yes. I did not write the marketing materials.

As far as I know you cannot assign the OPT headers as chassis, never tried it myself and don't think it's possible.

I don't want to assign OPT headers as CHA headers. I want the same amount of control over the fans connected to OPT headers as I get with the CHA headers.

is there a link between the CHA and OPT headers? Kinda like the cpu opt mirrors the main cpu header, does OPT1 mirror CHA1?

Raja
Level 13
You'll have to try it and see what happens.

Denoppo
Level 7
Looks as though the 4-Way Optimization now works with my board after downloading the latest AI Suite III dated 8-22
Asus Maximus VI Formula-CaseLabs SM8 Case-Corsair K70 Keyboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133-Dell 2560 X 1440 Monitor-Func MS-3 Mouse
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans
Samsung SSD 840 Pro-Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP-Windows 7 Ultimate

Denoppo wrote:
Looks as though the 4-Way Optimization now works with my board after downloading the latest AI Suite III dated 8-22

only with the presets or does it do the whole dynamic OC thing like in JJ's vids?

warmmilk wrote:
only with the presets or does it do the whole dynamic OC thing like in JJ's vids?

It will always be presets. The hardware required for the dynamic OC is not on the board so it cannot do the dynamic OC part. That feature is on some of the channel motherboards only. Just to clarify.