cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula 4-Way Optimization Error

Denoppo
Level 7
Hello Everyone,
After my Formula build and of course getting past my Bios issue (my fault of course) I would like to finish out by optimizing my PC. This AI Suite III is what sold me on this brand. By the way does JJ Make house calls? I watched his 4-Way optimization video on YouTube and it looks very easy until I try it.
My issue is at the very beginning I hit the Start Button to optimize and it takes me to a Warning Box - Do I want to continue warning screen of Yes or No? Should I even be getting this screen?
No takes me back one screen - presumably to set something which the only thing I set was naming my fans. I'll try not doing that next time and see what happens.
Yes reboots me to Windows where I have to sign in again and get an Error Message - Access Violation at address 00451314 and goes on to say Write of Address 000003A8.
Asus Maximus VI Formula-CaseLabs SM8 Case-Corsair K70 Keyboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133-Dell 2560 X 1440 Monitor-Func MS-3 Mouse
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans
Samsung SSD 840 Pro-Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP-Windows 7 Ultimate
88 REPLIES 88

Praz
Level 13
Denoppo, if you are not on the latest UEFI please flash to the latest version. If you are on the latest version reflash the UEFI again. When done shut the system down but leave the power supply on. Clear the UEFI using the Clear CMOS button. Hold it in the clear position for 10 seconds or so. When done check if the clock now keeps accurate time.

As far as the guides are concerned Raja has done a very good job at the most basic level explaining what the different settings do. Like most things some background knowledge is necessary regardless how simplistic the guides may be. Unfortunately this basic knowledge is outside the scope of any well written guide. Advanced UEFI settings are tools to do a specific job. This is like purchasing a power saw to build a set of stairs. The instruction manual for the saw will fully explain how to use the saw and its various adjustment options. However, the instructions will not cover how you calculate the rise and run of the stingers for the steps you are building.

Denoppo
Level 7
OK Praz I have downloaded the UEFI (0714) from the Support page at ASUS onto my Fat32 thumb drive. It was in a Zip folder so I unzipped to that same thumb drive. I deleted the zip folder which leaves me with an unzipped .cap file. I think I am supposed to change the file name. Is it MVIF.CAP? I guess I will reflash the BIOS using the EZ Flash 2 procedures on pg 3-57 of the manual by entering the Advance mode in UIFI correct?
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans

Praz
Level 13
If using EZ Flash 2 from within the UEFI it should not be necessary to rename anything. Just select the file.

Denoppo
Level 7
OK Praz I placed my thumbdrive loaded with the file which reads:
MAXIMUS-VI-FORMULA-ASUS-0714.CAP (this file has 8194kb) (no Zip folder just this file) into a USB slot on the back of my pc- any slot correct or should it be in a particular USB slot? Anyway I navigated in UEFI to the Tool Tab as noted in the Manual. Pressed Enter as noted in the Manual and everything went dark. Had to power down and power back up to get to Windows. Now from the Windows screen I cannot reboot back into Bios. What did I do wrong and how do I get back into UEFI to try again?

Denoppo
Level 7
Somehow using the provided DVD disk I was able to get back into BIOS. Navigated to the Tools Section. There is a fs0:\ and there is a fs1:\ (MB Support CD) When I choose fs1:\ it presents me with a bunch of folders with dates and times. Which one of these files do I choose? Once I choose the correct file Do Exit and Save changes as usual?

Raja
Level 13
You choose the file that you downloaded called MAXIMUS-VI-FORMULA-ASUS-0714.CAP

since that is the file you are supposed to be flashing. No point in flashing anything else. Seeing as the file you need is NOT on the support disc, I would think you do not want to be looking at what's on the disc...

The logical train of thought for this process would be:

1) Your USB drive should be plugged in to the board. Use the USB BIOS flashback port, the others should work, but lets not overcomplicate things.

2) One of fs0 or whatever other fs number should have the file on it. In which case all you need to do is navigate through the drive numbers and find the file. Might take you a few minutes, but not much longer than posting asking here really. I would put in the time it takes.

3) Find the file press enter and then follow the prompts. The file will take some time to flash and will tell you when it is done.

4) If the UEFI update contains microcode updates, when the board reBOOTs after you follow the prompts, it may power cycle a few times and update the iROG chips. DO NOT reset or power down the board - LET IT COMPLETE THE PROCESS.

Given the nature of your questions, my advice would be you find someone nearby that is well versed in building PCs. There is a chance of misadventure otherwise.

-Raja

Denoppo
Level 7
OK this time and was not a problem flashing from the thumb drive. Don't know why it didn't do it the first time. BIOS is reflashed.
CPU Fan Error, Press F1 to Run Setup came up>Navigated to the Fan Speed and changed those > Exited & Saved
I believe at this point you want me to hit the CMOS button to see if the BIOS Clock starts to work. I believe my questions are appropriate to guide me along. It just takes time doing it this way

Raja
Level 13
I'd get someone local to help you complete this build. It will save you from winding up in more frustration.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I'd get someone local to help you complete this build. It will save you from winding up in more frustration.

can you please respond to post 31 and 42 in this thread (both asking basically the same question)?

Denoppo
Level 7
Yes that did start the clock ticking in BIOS and Windows is showing the correct time. Thank-you so much for this. Thanks again for all your help as you have been patient with me during my early BIOS training.