cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS VI EXTREME + Bios 1505 + 4970k

jh30uk
Level 11
I was on a 4770k and Bios 1303, updated to 1505 and swapped CPU.

I did reset CMOS etc.

RED CPU LED lit and no Codes or post.

Swap back to 4770k and all is well again.

Now I flashed the Bios using EZFlash inside the Bios, I assume the Bios Updater Program is for doing inside Windows but when you read 1504 and 1505 instructions it is confusing.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=45&m=MAXIMUS VI EXTREME&os=8&hashedid=EUUwd8jU6IXIucrj

I doubt the new retail CPU is dead so must be Bios causing issue.

Peep with same issue : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/169544-new-i7-4790k-wont-boot-on-z87/

Edit : I tried running that Update tool from Windows and it updated Bios again to 1505 and asked for a Reboot, once rebooted it entered Bios for me to set up but I could hear my speakers hissing loudly which is not normal.

On booting to Windows my Creative ZxR was gone, I assume the Bios disabled the PCI-Ex1 slot as when I booted to Bios 2 it worked again.

Both Bios 1 and Bios 2 were updated inside Bios to 1505 earlier.
8 REPLIES 8

jh30uk
Level 11
I will post in new post to keep it tidy but that link above has since updated.

I now have my Creative ZxR (soundcard) back working in Bios 1 for some reason after swapping to Bios 2 and back to Bios 1.

This is what I read from this and am not sure if right or wrong.

Its hard to follow but I think you have your EZflash stick ready with Bios 1505 on it then you run that updater tool in Windows and browse to the same Bios 1505 that is say sitting on your desktop and when it does it 100% thing and asks to reboot it enters the Bios (it does not go to Windows) and you should then do EZFlash which to me seems like 2x the work doing same thing but possibly that newer tool get the Eprom ready for some changes that the new Bios has. :?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would strongly suggest not using OS ever for a bios flash. Very happy that all has worked for you.

The best way for me is via EZflash2 utility in the Tools section and allowing the system to update the irog.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

jh30uk
Level 11
I was sure I replied here but must have hit wrong button to post it.

I would normally agree with you but that does not work for this CPU and other have since found the same.

The updater must be ran 1st inside Windows, now I do not know if this actually updated the Bios or gets the Eprom ready for the new Bios as I already did it the EZFlash way.

Going by the little information the peeps posted after they also messed up I think this is what you do.

Be running the older CPU and run the Asus Updater inside Windows and it goes to 100% and reboots PC to Bios, then I think you use EZEFlash to actually update Bios fully, the only way to be sure would be to check the Bios build inside Bios once that Updater reboots PC to Bios.

TBH the info is very vague but it does not work using EZFlash like all other Bios builds do.

My old CPU is back in on 1505 and is fine.

Just confirmed by another user who had same issue, the ME has to be updated from inside Windows 1st to accept the DC Bios.

The only grey area is do we need to Flash the Bios using EZFlash once this is done or is it all done in 1 step.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for the update I have made a note - have repped you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Got all up and running by simply running the Updater Tool in Windows and it reboots to the Bios screen and for good measure Flashing Bios once again using EZFlash.

1.265 VID for stock and hits 100C is seconds in Prime, 1.265v on my 4770k was never that hot when trying to OC it.

I dropped voltage to 1.1v and passes prime small FFT (really hot) but prime large FFT needed at least 1.2v to be stable.

It can clock to 4.6 but 4.7GHZ will not boot.

I thought my 4770k was poor as its a known bad batch but this 4790k CPU was Manu'd Sep 2013 so tis 9months old.

Braineater
Level 7
I have exactly the same problem. Red CPU LED and no Post.

I tried the steps you described:
1st Flash with new Flash Tool in Windows
2nd Flash with EZ FLash Tool in BIOS

...but I still got the issue 😞
I dont know what else to try 😞

Braineater wrote:
I have exactly the same problem. Red CPU LED and no Post.

I tried the steps you described:
1st Flash with new Flash Tool in Windows
2nd Flash with EZ FLash Tool in BIOS

...but I still got the issue 😞
I dont know what else to try 😞

jb3451 has an excellent post below. This worked for me although I have now gone back to my original i7 4770k processor and sold my devil canyon because my 4770k Overclocks much better. Can you confirm you followed those exact steps?

NOTE: you need a 'old' haswell processor to flash it first.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48855-Must-Do-s-for-making-4790K-work-with-Maximus-VI-Mothe...

I am having the same issues - I am going to try my best at following the steps above to hopefully get the 4790K to boot and therefore, stop it posting the 00 Qcode! I have already swapped cpu's around twice, so hopefully this will be the last time, with my cpu cooler it is a pain - like I have to do a full rebuild, piece by piece, each and every time! Thank you for the help though!