cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene Z77 USB Trouble, Mouse Freezing

SharpAimX
Level 7
Just finished my new build runing an i7 2600K and I am having an issue with my USB 2.0 ports. Any mouse I plug into it causes the mouse to constantly crash every few seconds so it'll freeze up, DPI lights turn off, then it connects back and lights turn back on.

I also notice in the Device Manager in Other devices -> Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller -> The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

The device manager also refreshes every time the mouse disconnects. It works fine when plugged into a USB 3.0 port. Keyboard functions fine, it's only the mouse, no matter what port I use. What could be wrong? Thanks.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vsg5sw.jpg

EDIT:
*I think I solved the problem, installed the Intel USB 3 drivers aswell, I figured I only needed the Asmedia ones. Will report back if I encounter the issue again.*
73 REPLIES 73

Hmm same problem again on the usb 2.0 port, with the 0701 official bios.
Not as much stuttering as before but still there. I'm using an logitech G500.
Asus Maximus V Gene :: Intel i7 3770K :: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP PC1600CL9 1.5v :: Crucial M4 128GB :: 2x 1TB 5400rpm raid-1 + 64GB Samsung 830 (SRT) :: Lian-Li V1200 Case

Soulmax thanks for suggestions but +5V line seems fine on my PSU

after further testing - and using the new 0813 bios it seems:

Hard boot - boots into windows fine - mouse and keyboard work fine
Soft boot (say Windows restart) - boots into windows fine - keyboard works fine, mouse does not work (its powered off - no lights on it)

unplug mouse and re-plug back in and it works fine ...

So far with bios 0813, no problems with my Logitech G500 on usb 2.0 🙂
But every bios update the default vcore is somewhat higher,
now idle (1600mhz on i7 3770k) the vcore is around 0.9v, 0701 it was ~0.8v, the version my motherboard was shipped with ~0.7v.
Asus Maximus V Gene :: Intel i7 3770K :: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP PC1600CL9 1.5v :: Crucial M4 128GB :: 2x 1TB 5400rpm raid-1 + 64GB Samsung 830 (SRT) :: Lian-Li V1200 Case

soulwax wrote:
So far with bios 0813, no problems with my Logitech G500 on usb 2.0 🙂
But every bios update the default vcore is somewhat higher,
now idle (1600mhz on i7 3770k) the vcore is around 0.9v, 0701 it was ~0.8v, the version my motherboard was shipped with ~0.7v.

I haven't really done before and after comparisons, but I have noticed that default vcore seems fairly high on the board. I'm also overclocked, but my 3770k gets very hungry very quickly. That seems to be characteristic more of Ivy Bridge than the board (un)fortunately.
Asus Maximus V Gene | Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.4Ghz | HIS Radeon HD 7950 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 | 240GB Kingston HyperX 3K

Same problem here.. Using Maximus V Gene With G15 & G500 couple.
USB2 ports causes random mouse freezes and G15 screen indicators gone.
I'm also using last bios but i start to face with this issue after when install back on Windows 7 x64 from Windows 8 x64.
Windows 8 was working fine without any USB issues.

For now im using my mouse and keyboard on USB3 ports but im hopefully waiting for a BIOS update to fix theese problems asap to prevent my disappointment for this purchase.

Bump

This just suddenly started happening on my computer.
It happens for me even in BIOS, so Windows and drivers can't be the problem, I really hope for a BIOS update very soon, I'm starting to get very frustrated.
BIOS is updated, resetting to optimized default does not help. It happens on both USB 2.0 and 3.0.

I'm using Maximus V Formula

using the asus maximus v extreme latest drivers and bios firmware update v1604 / win7 x64

i also had problems with a logitech vx nano mouse which was freezing ever 10 seconds, the mouse was lagging and stuttering all over the screen. pretty disappointing for a 320€ motherboard!

here is the way i solved the problem: i plugged the usb nano receiver into a ~50cm usb extension cable. so the usb mouse receiver is now an arm length away from the mobo/tower and works absolutely fine. it looks like a kind of an interference when the usb receiver is too close or directly connected to the mainboard. nevertheless a working bug fix by asus would be nice and is necessary to finally get rid of the cable solution. hope this helps!

greetings comores

Shamino
can you , who have problems , try cutting off standby power
(unplug AC cord) and rebooting , to see if clearing away some usb3.0 registers from the drivers could be the solution

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good to hear that there has been some positive progress here. Thanks to all who have and are keeping us updated as to the USB saga.

With the latest drivers and new BIOS my MVG is USB hassle free. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Buckster
Level 7
I think I've fixed my USB boot issues, seems it was the standard/stock Windows 7 Razor driver for my mouse causing issues (didn't on my old system)

downloaded latest off Razor's website and no further issues for now

I've decided to drop my overclocks on my 3770k to 4.3 as I can run at 1.13V vs 1.29 for 4.6

difference in temps at load is 25C !!