cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene - Init Display First

Globetrotter
Level 7
Looked up my question through the whole Net, but wasn't able to find answer.

I have a SLI-enabled setup with two gtx 760 GPUs. Because of "leading" card generates a lot more heat (about 15-20 *C as I've measured) it is wise for it to be the lower one, since we don't have much space between the slots for the first PCIE to be cooled good enough.

But in this scenario, when all monitors connected to the leading lower card ouputs (DVI in my case) I am unable to see the boot-up sequence and enter BIOS. Displays remain blank util the Windows starts and turns on the necessary outputs.

In latest BIOS we have only option "init display first" with possible values IGPU/PCIE, but without specifying which PCIE exactly. Is there a possible solution to this situation for being able to see the boot process and enter BIOS in case necessary without re-connecting the cables?

Maybe Asus would address this issue in further BIOS revisions?
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
I do not understand the phrase "is it wise for it to be the lower one" - what are you asking?

As to heat the number 1 card will always work much harder than the other card/s - if you change where your connector is fitted you may be able to see your BIOS again. I saw someone earlier report that they simply had to swap where they fitted the vga cable and bios was visible again.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I mean the hard-working card will always be the one which has displays connected to it, right? Well, i'd like to have connectors plugged in to second (lower card) AND at the same time being able to see the BIOS bootstrap sequence.

I can still see everything, when monitor output plugged into first (topmost) card, no questions here. But this way, the topmost card which already lacks a good airflow because of proximity with the second card, will work harder and stay hotter, at the same time when lower card which has access to fresh air wil be underloaded.

In numbers, 1 card = 70*C GPU. 2 cards (SLI), outputs plugged to 1-st = 95*C & 70*C, output plugged to 2-nd = 70*C & 95*C. I prefer to stick with the second choice and additionally install closed-loop water cooling to lower the temps (for the second card only). But I still want to be able to enter BIOS for tweaks, which I can't do for now. And as i see it's just software BIOS problem. Some MB have such option, why this one shouldn't?

regarding "is it wise" - sorrry, my mistake. I was assumpting "it is ..", not asking.

Hi

I've got a MVG and when I used sli the same happened when I plugged in the lower card to the monitor - nothing on screen till Windows launched. I think it is because the bios does not give the option as to which pci-e lane to initialise first so it tries lane one first . I've had older 1366 boards where the bios did have this selection option and I didn't have this problem. However I don't think it matters in terms of temperatures from my experience. The cards are alternate frame rendering so both do equal work assuming the game is sli enabled. The top card gets hotter simply because it is sucking hot air coming from the lower card into its intake. This is a particular problem on the MVG as the cards are so close together.

I had a MIVE prior to the MVG and to stop the top card getting too hot I used the first and fourth pc-ie x16 slots (that board had an extra chip to get more lanes) to create a large gap and that worked. The result was both cards ran at the same temperatures as they were far enough apart. This was also using a Silverstone Fortress case where the cards hang down vertically which probably helped as well. I then switched to watercooling when I bought the MVG and the proximity of the slots no longer matters. So if you want to get the gpu temps down on the MVG and get them both at pretty much the same temperature watercooling seems the only option.

Hope this helps

Mag

Thanks everyone!

Had a little free time today and figured everything out. Can confirm, no matter where to plug outputs, the first card is always the hottest. In my case the only option is to go for the full-scale water cooling, because nothing else will fit in 1 slot between (arctic cooling accelero hybrid takes 3 slots). And currently topmost card always throttles by the temperature, no matter how high limit is set - 80 or 95 degrees.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah all good mate, you can connect your VGA cable to any card it makes no difference. The top card will always be the primary card and do the majority of the work.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.