Not applicable
Released in Sweden.. today:cool::cool::cool:
1,946 REPLIES 1,946

Maximus Obsidious “Max”
Chassis : CaseLabs M8
PSU : Corsair Platinum AX860 (Seasonic) w/Corsair Gen2 AX Cables
CPU : Intel 3770k 4.2GHz Vcore 1.282 Delta T=2.5C at idle
RAM : Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz 2X4GB kit
Mobo : Asus Maximus V Extreme (you and me baby)
GPU : Asus 6870 DirectCU (Asus GTX780 5GB Coming Soon) 😛
Cooling : H100i Sanyo-Denki San Ace 120(x6)
Internal SSDs : Intel 520 120GB(x2) RAID0

MeanBruceROG wrote:
Is there a way to still get great sound out of the Extreme even though it doesn't have the SupremeIV onboard audio? A solution other than a sound card?

Maybe using the optical outputs to a stereo pre-amp and then amp? Are they optical or D-shaped USB?

Well here’s all you need to know about this chip set it talks about DTS connect and Dolby Digital live. I just got my old onboard audio card on my striker II extreme to run in full Dolby Digital.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC898_DataSheet_0.60.pdf
http://ac3filter.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cf2074ff3b3d9000bfd24822167337a5&topic=1435.0 about 10th post down

􀂄 Meets Microsoft WLP 3.x and future WLP audio requirements
􀂄 WaveRT-based audio function driver for Windows Vista and Windows 7
􀂄 Direct Sound 3D™ compatible
􀂄 I3DL2 compatible
􀂄 7.1+2 channel multi-streaming enables concurrent gaming/VoIP
􀂄 Emulation of 26 sound environments to enhance gaming experience
􀂄 Multi bands of software equalizer and tool are provided
􀂄 Voice Cancellation and Key Shifting effect
􀂄 Dynamic range control (expander, compressor and limiter) with adjustable parameters
􀂄 Intuitive Configuration Panel (Realtek Audio Manager) to enhance user experience
􀂄 Microphone Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC), Noise Suppression (NS), and Beam Forming (BF)
technology for voice application
􀂄 Smart multiple streaming operation
􀂄 HDMI audio driver for AMD platform
􀂄 Dolby® PCEE program™ (optional software feature)
􀂄 DTS® CONNECT™ (optional software feature)
􀂄 SRS® TrueSurround HD (optional software feature)
􀂄 Fortemedia® SAM™ technology for voice processing (Beam Forming and Acoustic Echo
Cancellation) (optional software feature)
􀂄 Creative® Host Audio program (optional software feature)

crashdogy
Level 7
i bet they sold out people are not going to wait. if they can get it now.

I'm shocked you did get one yet !!! MeanBruceROG

MrKuenning
Level 7
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2297-Flexible-3-way-sli-bridge
i5 3570K
Asus Maximus V Formula
H100 with SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB 4x4 2133
Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
Corsair Force GT 60 GB SATA III/6G, 2x SAMSUNG F4 2TB
1000W PSU with Black Green Braided Cables
Corsair C70 Gun Metal Grey

sangzeel
Level 7
SupremeFX IV vs Xonar DX. Who's will win? I think xonar will perform better, though it's old.-)
AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X | TUF B450M-PRO GAMING | MSI CORE FROZR L Cooler | VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Memory Kit — Black | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Founders Edition | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Intel 520 SSD 120GB | WD Black SATA III 2TB, WD Black SATA III 1TB | LG 27UK650, Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Bose Companion 2 Series III | Xbox One HS | Corsair AX850 | Corsair Obsidian 350D | CORSAIR K55 RGB | Logitech G300S (QCK) | Windows 10 Pro (OEM)

sangzeel wrote:
SupremeFX IV vs Xonar DX. Who's will win? I think xonar will perform better, though it's old.-)

Which do you think suits the board better: the Xonar DGX or the Xonar DX? They're pretty much the same card -just with different PCI connectors, right?

Looks like ExcaliberPC really had the M5E in stock. Some guy on OCN got a tracking number...

EDIT: Trying out that Amazon.com Live Chat right now. Talking with Alex...
Sig Rig:
Cooler Master Cosmos II
Intel Core i7 2600K (sold)
ASUS Maximus V Formula (sold)
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHz
EVGA GTX 680 2GB (getting a Hydro Copper block soon)
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Seasonic Platinum 1000W

Iamazn
Level 7
Formula vs Extreme:
-Which board is better for AIR cooling?
-Which board is better for gaming?
-Does the SupremeFX have a HUGE, small or no advantage over the Realtek?
-On the formula, will aircooling still work with it's waterblock? The ROG site says its good for both air and water cooling, but the demo videos they show on it only incorporate water...
-I've heard that the Extreme is mainly for benchmarkers who use things like LN2. Would the board still be good for gaming/casual use and air cooling?

Iamazn wrote:
Formula vs Extreme:
-On the formula, will aircooling still work with it's waterblock? The ROG site says its good for both air and water cooling, but the demo videos they show on it only incorporate water...
-I've heard that the Extreme is mainly for benchmarkers who use things like LN2. Would the board still be good for gaming/casual use and air cooling?

- For Air cooling I would say that the Extreme is a little better as the water pipe on the Formula can affect a bit the heat disspation I think.
- For gaming, depends on the config. If you plan not above 2 way SLI or 3way Crossfire the Formula is enough to my mind.
- SupremeFX is certainly better ... in a Huge advantage perhaps ... I think only audiophile with a good equipement can tell difference between the two chips. I'm not in that category 😄
- On the Formula, air cooling still works great, the waterblock includes an heat pipe as well.
- For casual gaming Formula is probably a better choice unless you have many PCIe cards to put in your system. But the Extreme will perform great too 🙂
Redback 2012
Case : CM Cosmos II
PSU : Corsair AX1200
CPU : i7 3770k (Swiftech Apogee HD WB)
RAM : 16GB 4x4 Corsair Vengeance Black
MB : ASUS M5F
GPUs : 2x EVGA GTX680 HydroCopper
OS Drive : 120GB Kingston HyperX
Caching Drives : 60GB Intel 520 + 60 GB ADATA XM13
HDDs : 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black
Storage HDDs : 2x 3TB WD Caviar Green
OP : ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer
Res : Koolance RP-401X2 + 2x Swiftech MCP350 (serial)

Iamazn wrote:
Formula vs Extreme:

I'll just add my 2cents to what Gipi49 posted in his informative/helpful reply to you...

If you're air-cooling then you won't be maxing what any of the M5F boards are capable of delivering as far as overclocking potential. The vrm/mosfet heatsinks on any of them will easily be able to handle any heat associated with an air-cooled setup, even with premier coolers like the D14, Silver Arrow, or a Phanteks. Within the BIOS you can actually control the output of the VRMs where they all not need be in use, esp when using lower voltages on IB processors. You may wish to dl the manual and check it out. Quite a nice feature!

You are correct in assessing that the Extreme is marketed towards benchmarkers who typically use subzero cooling (LN2, LHel) to obtain peak results. The Extreme could certainly be used for gaming (after all it is a Republic of Gamers board:)) but it may be overkill and an expensive solution if you don't plan to utilize most or all of its features.

While the SupremeFX is an excellent packaged solution it is readily surpassed by third-party audio solutions like the aforementioned Xonar or an X-Fi series card, the latter being esp suited for gaming.
Lian Li PC-A77B, Corsair 750TX PSU | Maximus V Formula 1802 BIOS | Ivy Bridge i5-3570K | GSkill ARES 2x4GB DDR3 1866, | Sapphire 7970 OC w/Boost | Sandisk Extreme 120GB | WD6400AAKS, WD3000GLFS, ST33000651AS, ST31500341AS | LG WH10LS30 blu-rau | SB X-Fi TF Pro | Klipsch PM Ultra 5.1 | LG 26" monitor | Win7 x64 SP1

Iamazn wrote:
Formula vs Extreme:

1. Either, both can be air cooled.
2. Well, that depends. The on board audio is better on the Formula, if you want 3 or 4 way SLI, you need the Extreme. At least that is what I understand.
3. Yes, that is why they call it 'Fusion'. It is intended to be air cooled with the option to liquid cool.
4. Extreme is probably the best for overclockers. If you want extra PCIe 3.0 slots is another reason to get it.

It looks like the cost difference is going to be around $20-$30, so if you want the better on board audio and don't care about extra PCIe 3.0 slots, go with the Formula. If you plan to overclock, want to run an extreme SLI rig, or want the extra PCIe slots for something else, then go for the Extreme. If you don't care about the onboard audio, and want better future proofing, then the Extreme might be a better choice.