cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula (Z77) Posts but no video Q-Code A2 D7

Merphal
Level 7
Hey guys, today I decided to switch cases from Corsair obsidian 650D to NZXT H440. I took everything apart, changed thermal paste on CPU and put everything back together.

When I booted the system back up it doesn't load any video and fails to start up. The process goes like this:

Power up > Boot sound (the beep) > Q-Code 99 (so far so good, this is normal start up code) > Q-Code 64 (so far so good, this is normal start up code) > Q-Code A2 (not normal) > Q-Code D7 (not normal) > Beeps 3 times and freezes.

I read online a bit and I've tried:

-Booting with only CPU, 1 stick of RAM, everything else (GPU, SSDs, HDD, USB) plugged out
-The CPU 8 pin connector is plugged in correctly on both ends
-The pins on the motherboard are fine
-Reset CMOS
-Connect monitor to integrated GPU, disconnect the GTX 780

My specs:

i5 3570k not OC'd (I wanted to but I forgot about then and then I couldn't be bothered ayylmao)
Maximus V Formula (Z77) Mobo
Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Veangence RAM
GTX 780 6GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair AX750W PSU
2x120GB Corsair Force GT SSDs in RAID0
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

Thanks in advance guys!
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello Merphal

The code the motherboard stops on is the one you want to pay attention to.

1) Have you installed the standoffs before installing the motherboard?

2) Try setting up your motherboard outside the case to rule out a short/ground problem.

3) Try another hdmi cable.

4) Double check all your power connections.

5) Update the bios.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Merphal

The code the motherboard stops on is the one you want to pay attention to.

1) Have you installed the standoffs before installing the motherboard?

2) Try setting up your motherboard outside the case to rule out a short/ground problem.

3) Try another hdmi cable.

4) Double check all your power connections.

5) Update the bios.

1) Case comes with standoffs preinstalled

2) I would rather try other things first, as it is 3AM right now and I am way too tired to take it apart.

3) The HDMI Cable is fine. It also didn't work with a DVI-D.

4) Already done

5) How do I do this? *I can't even get to BIOS, it won't signal anything with both integrated graphics and the gtx780.

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Follow this guide and see if this fixes you up.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

What code is the motherboard stopping on?

Holy **** thanks dude it worked! I can finally go to sleep without worrying about replacing a CMOS Battery or dealing with an RMA! A thousand thanks!

Nate152
You're welcome

Good to hear a simple bios update got you going again Merphal.

Nate152 wrote:
You're welcome

Good to hear a simple bios update got you going again Merphal.

Nevermind, I plugged everything back in and now it only gives me the A2 error (no d7).

Nate152
Aww shucks !

If you have display with code A2, it is most likely a drive issue, try disconnecting all your drives except the one the operating system is installed on.

Nate152 wrote:
Aww shucks !

If you have display with code A2, it is most likely a drive issue, try disconnecting all your drives except the one the operating system is installed on.

My OS is on my two SSDs which are in RAID0. Is there a way to get them to show up as a RAID drive in BIOS? I changed the SATA mode to RAID but they show up as individual drives still.

Also, I got it to boot to BIOS every time but it gives me a CPU Fan Error (and it shows the CPU temp as 65~ C) even though all my fans are working (both case and radiator fans).

Nate152
It's a good sign you have display.

The bios is usually reliable at reporting cpu temps, 65c is way too high when sitting idle in the bios.

To get rid of the cpu fan error, on the monitoring tab try setting the cpu fan to say 200RPM.

I never used a raid array so I'm limited in helping you with that but here is the raid guide you can have a read through, near the bottom under comments Marshall explains how to set up raid.

http://rog.asus.com/77402012/rampage-motherboards/what-is-raid-setup-guide/