cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus v Formula ... Ready to lost faith

nikosa43
Level 12
It's been a while that I wanted to make a BIOS flashback tired of 1604 lockups and waiting for the release of the new one.After the incident I will describe I am ready to lost faith to this mainboard and I am starting to believe that no new BIOS revision will give reliability to this product.So for not take things long what I did is the following:1. I used the BIOS file renamer to the same folder with 1408.2. I transferred the file to FAT formatted stick that I have it permanently connected to the ROG USB port.3. I entered BIOS, loaded defaults, saved and exit.4. Rebooted, checked defaults and shuted down.5. I cleared CMOS, restarted and entered BIOS.6. Through EZflash I flashed the renamed file.7. Waited for successful screen appear and required reboot by the procedure.8. Entered BIOS, verified revision (OK).9. Shut down again, cleared CMOS again.10.Entered BIOS loaded defaults saved and rebooted.11. ....Voila, the surprise of my life. On my screen, instead of everything being in AUTO and target frequency to 3900, I see loaded an OC profile with a multiplier to 42.Please note that until that time, I already had inspected most of the screens during the above steps and everything were in AUTO. Also my OC profiles were erased after the flash.How this thing is possible and how this thing can be explained?
21 REPLIES 21

nikosa43
Level 12
Exactly this. Here is the pics.

Note the DRAM Voltage and all the RAM timings. Everything are loaded with the right values from SPD, but after 10-12 save and reset nothing changes.

feniks
Level 11
that's odd. have you tried to Clear CMOS and Load Defaults (f5), Save & Reset (f10) and going from there?
if this is some newer memory kit that you might need a newer BIOS version supporting its XMP profile too.
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

feniks wrote:
that's odd. have you tried to Clear CMOS and Load Defaults (f5), Save & Reset (f10) and going from there?
if this is some newer memory kit that you might need a newer BIOS version supporting its XMP profile too.

Memory is the same, from day one I built the system. Never had problems. To tell everything, I don't remember if even one single boot in windows ever happened in 1333. Before I start OCing CPU, RAM was running XMP to 2400.

To me it looks like the multiplier lockup, but in RAM. I 'll go for a CMOS clearing.

turtletrax
Level 7
I put settings in and reboot and hard lock booting into windows then look in bios and see 1.54v being put into my 3770k. Add that crap to my Rive blowing smoke and killing my murder box you have a seriously crusty customer. No doubt I will get a pos refurbished back to go into a 4k show machine. Giving all the chances I can but if I have to pay for a new board that hasn't been ridden like a donkey it won't be Asus.

nikosa43
Level 12
After a CMOS clear nothing changed. I tried to manually go to 2400 and nothing happened. It doesn't change a thing. Whatever I change in memory doesn't react. Do I miss something?

feniks
Level 11
that's even more odd ... I guess this BIOS 804 can't properly run the XMP profile embedded in your sticks. sounds like no other choice, but to upgrade to 1309 but then the CPU multiplier glitch will be back ... or experiment with earlier revision, e.g. 704 or even 257 (my board came with this one in Sep '12 actually).

I wish ASUS finally released that new wonder BIOS...
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

nikosa43
Level 12
I guess I have to go to 1309 and hoping XMP work again. :mad:

nikosa43
Level 12
You were right. 0804 don't like my memory. Gone back to 1309 and back in business. Thanks, 😄 and again lets hope for a new glorious revision....SOON.

feniks
Level 11
oh, glad to hear all is back to normal 😉
yeah, some sticks XMP is not really supported until certain revision of BIOS, usually that is related to the IMC (microchips) used on sticks themselves, the newer they are the newer the BIOS must be to recognize them correctly.

anyways, let's keep our fingers crossed for a new BIOS revision, it's about time they released it finally!

My rig with pictures

feniks
Level 11
hmmmm .... so far I've been unable to replicate CPU multi lockup issues on BIOS2 flashed with 1604 ... however I did suddenly experience sudden vcore instability (resulted in BSOD 124) while benchmarking at 5.1GHz ... was stable at first then not anymore... not sure really at the moment. will give it a little more time and a few more restarts to see if I can replicate same issues from BIOS1 on BIOS2, but so far it's not happening. wondering if that is even conclusive to mean anything above mere luck. issues have been pretty random in past, not easy to replicate on call basis to start with. so far used clocks: 4.9GHz on offsets (my daily rock stable), then 5.0Ghz fixed vcore and then 5.1GHz fixed (which crashed after a while and suddenly lost stability, could be my CPU though). so far back to 4.9GHz and all looks still normal, no reverting settings in BIOS, no CPU multi lockups. will see. will be going to optimized defaults now to see if they load correctly (rarely they did on BIOS1 after such endeavors).

either way later on I will flash beta 1707 and see where it gets me in a broad meaning, testing will take time though, I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet.

My rig with pictures