cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus v Formula ... Ready to lost faith

nikosa43
Level 12
It's been a while that I wanted to make a BIOS flashback tired of 1604 lockups and waiting for the release of the new one.After the incident I will describe I am ready to lost faith to this mainboard and I am starting to believe that no new BIOS revision will give reliability to this product.So for not take things long what I did is the following:1. I used the BIOS file renamer to the same folder with 1408.2. I transferred the file to FAT formatted stick that I have it permanently connected to the ROG USB port.3. I entered BIOS, loaded defaults, saved and exit.4. Rebooted, checked defaults and shuted down.5. I cleared CMOS, restarted and entered BIOS.6. Through EZflash I flashed the renamed file.7. Waited for successful screen appear and required reboot by the procedure.8. Entered BIOS, verified revision (OK).9. Shut down again, cleared CMOS again.10.Entered BIOS loaded defaults saved and rebooted.11. ....Voila, the surprise of my life. On my screen, instead of everything being in AUTO and target frequency to 3900, I see loaded an OC profile with a multiplier to 42.Please note that until that time, I already had inspected most of the screens during the above steps and everything were in AUTO. Also my OC profiles were erased after the flash.How this thing is possible and how this thing can be explained?
21 REPLIES 21

feniks
Level 11
hehe, sleep tight buddy, it's NOT a faulty CMOS physically speaking. it must be a software bug. problem occurred on BIOS2 eventually. took me a while of jumping through clocks (tried stock 3.9GHz after Optimized defaults, then offset 4.7Ghz, then fixed 5.0GHz again) and eventually when I went back to BIOS I noticed all CPU settings reverted to defaults (Turbo multi auto/39x, PL disabled, c-states auto, digi+ all auto, yet all manual voltages unchanged, while in Windows it was 50x before restart).

then I loaded Optimized Defaults again and now BIOS shows all stock values proprly, and yet in Windows I see the CPU runs at 5.0GHz LOL ... no CMOS/EEPROM fault, bad BIOS programming that is, exactly same issues I had in BIOS1 with all BIOSes ranging from 1309 up to 1604.

going to Clear CMOS, Load Defaults a few times and flash 1707, hopefully the cure is right there!
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

feniks wrote:
hehe, sleep tight buddy, it's NOT a faulty CMOS physically speaking. it must be a software bug. problem occurred on BIOS2 eventually. took me a while of jumping through clocks (tried stock 3.9GHz after Optimized defaults, then offset 4.7Ghz, then fixed 5.0GHz again) and eventually when I went back to BIOS I noticed all CPU settings reverted to defaults (Turbo multi auto/39x, PL disabled, c-states auto, digi+ all auto, yet all manual voltages unchanged, while in Windows it was 50x before restart).then I loaded Optimized Defaults again and now BIOS shows all stock values proprly, and yet in Windows I see the CPU runs at 5.0GHz LOL ... no CMOS/EEPROM fault, bad BIOS programming that is, exactly same issues I had in BIOS1 with all BIOSes ranging from 1309 up to 1604.going to Clear CMOS, Load Defaults a few times and flash 1707, hopefully the cure is right there!
LoL, I was reading and laughing. It's like someone watches us from above and plays funny games. When we tried hard to fine tune our system, he gave us lockups and mess. Now, we try to mess up the BIOS and replicate errors, we have a hard time to mess the system, :D.Anyway, I hope everything is resolved now and give us peace of mind, so any mess we have, will be from our choices and wrong settings and not from mysterious X factor.